Baxters GLX-R

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Baxters GLX-R

Postby Bax155 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Well I've been reading these forums since 2013 when I decided that out of all the 4wd utes on the market I wanted a MN Triton, original plans was to buy a GLX but the missus had other ideas, the introduction of the MQ helped with getting the GLX-R for $35k from Cardiff stealers on May 5th 2015, I didn't want any extras as I knew they could all be purchased at a later date for a fraction of the price.

March 2015 build with 14km on the clock
Click to view larger picture

1st day driving the new rig, took me awhile to figure out what gears to use in what situation but now I've got that figured I'm a happy driver!

Next it was time to hit the beach, Blacksmiths was free back then so of to Blackies it was.

Bax155

Re: Baxters GLX-R

Postby Bax155 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:47 pm

I've been pretty happy with how she handles off road as a stock rig, just gotta remember to turn that traction control off :lol: Plans we're to enjoy her natural beauty for as long as circumstances allowed. Was worried she wouldn't fit in the incredibly small garages new homes seem to have these days, especially with the large booty the MN has!

Still enough room for a bullbar if I ever decide to go that route.

I'm not interested in crazy hill climbs, massive ruts or big bogs when it comes to going off the sealed road so clearance isn't an issue yet.

Blackies is renowned for being soft, this day on the beach had seen a lot of traffic which had really softened up the southern exit, never being bogged yet I was probably a touch [censored], some guy in a hilux was having trouble out wide so me and my mate in his D40 went the inside but my mate panicked and stopped which meant I had to stop, on taking off I gave her bit to much and buried her to the axels :lol: while I let the tyres down to 10psi my mate did a ruff clear out of sand in front of the tyres and I got her out no dramas and gave the still stuck hilux a wave 8-)

Bax155

Postby Bax155 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Wheels were set in motion and a trip to Hillston was planed for August, so I needed to have power for the Waeco and some way of securing the kayak.
Kayak was simple, my mate had given me a heap of 25mm aluminium tubing I just needed to but the connectors.

I didn't want my AUX battery in the engine bay, things are tight in there as it is and I didn't want to add to the problem so I came up with an idea of making a portable box that would hold the 100aH battery and also house a sound system for camp site tunes which is water proof, it also has 3 12v sockets in the recessed top and a usb socket. She's heavy but I'm stocked with how it turned out, I''ve since become annoyed with the slight buzz the speakers now and then create but that'll be sorted in the coming weeks.
We stayed in Hillston for 4 nights, it ran my fridge non stop, music from 3pm till midnight and charged all our cameras and phones no dramas!!
I ran a twin sheathed 6 B&S cable from the engine bay to the tub, redarc isolated with the button to jump start your vehicle if the main battery is low, can't remember the voltage at the tub but the auto elec at work said you couldn't get it any better which is a fair effort for someone who has no knowledge of auto electrics, thanks Newtriton forum ;)

Dunedoo

Hillston

Last edited by Bax155 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bax155

Postby snakesoup on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:04 pm

nice one mate, I remember when mine used to look like yours haha, they really are a great rig just of the showroom floor, even if you keep it stock mate she will take you almost anywhere a modded one will go anyway mate, nice one
snakesoup

Postby Bax155 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

After the trip out west I decided I needed roof racks to cut that annoying noise out that my cheap and nasty rack created.
I ended up going with the ProRack Whisper bars, mainly because my mate said he had a spare pair that would fit, I got the mounting kit and they didn't fit so I then had to go purchase the racks :lol:
Needless to say the kayak still makes that annoying noise up towards the 100k mark, at least I have roof racks now I guess!

The new roof racks allowed me to then purchase an awning, I went with the Adventure Kings as its cheap and I've got my 3m deluxe OzTrail for camping anyway. First trip to the beach there was zero wind so I set it up with no guy ropes out, we were admiring at how good it was when a small zephyr folded it back over the roof :shock:
I've beefed up the section where the awning side bars attach so now she's tougher then a new one and a lesson learnt, always use the guy ropes :lol:

Burren Junction, solo trip out west to test the newly fixed awning out ;)

Georges Junction

So thats pretty much where the rig is at for the moment, tax cheque is due back any day now so a few mods will be happening which will mean a lot more posts for me in the future.

Cheers,
Baxter
Bax155

Postby matt76 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Great thread!
matt76

Postby docta.phipps on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 pm

matt76 wrote:Great thread!

+1 Great write up and pics are awesome. Keep them coming.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby Bax155 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Cheers guys for the positive feedback, a few mods being done soon followed by lots of camping!
Bax155

Postby Bax155 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Well I've installed all my tax purchases for the Triton, still need to tidy some things up.
First up was the K&N filter, very happy with this purchase, instantly noticed an increase in power and better fuel economy!

Next up I got my front windows tinted to match the back ones, took a while to get use to at night but looks way better.

Next was a black nudge bar, as a lot of accessories are black I've gone the black on white path, or the Kung fu panda look as I call it.

New floor and dash mats were next and a set of neoprene seat covers which I was stoked at how well they fit!

I then installed a reverse camera in preparation for the canopy which was to be installed the following week.

Added a Rhino Rack X-Tray, not happy with the wind noise at anything over 80km/ph but I'm hoping loaded up this will help cut it down a notch.

Once the ARB canopy was fitted I could install some boxes I had made up to house my AUX battery and general storage on the other side, pretty happy with my first attempt.

Finally got my wiring harness today for the lightbar, so got that all buttoned up today just need to decide on rocker switch location.

So that's my installs for this tax year, next tax will see a lift, snorkel, tow bar and maybe a bullbar.

Few pics of how she currently looks minus the lightbar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bax155

Postby Bax155 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Forgot that I also put on some Bushskinz bash plates and a set of wind shields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bax155

Return to Member Build Ups