So thought i would fix my thread, thanks NFTF for offering to help out, but dont want you to waste your spare time so thought i would just repost my original post.
So i have been around the forum for about 2 years now (coming up to 2 years with the triton aswell) and i think i have done enough work on the truck to warrant a build thread
So i bought a brand new White GLX+ MN triton from my local canberra dealer back in late august 2014. I upgraded from an old clapped out lancer, as i found myself steeling my dads hilux every second weekend for camping, going to the snow, fishing, etc. I was originally in the market for a D-MAX but when the triton popped up for the same price brand new, as a second hand D-MAX with 50k on the clock, i booking in a test drive.
Test drove the car one saturday, and walked out the door with all the papers signed. AND SO BEGAN THE JOURNEY
This is it on the day i picked it up. All shiny and new. It didnt take long for me to get stuck into some 4 wheel driving. Within a week i took her out to my parents property and threw her down some rough tracks.
Didnt take long for me to start looking for things to bolt onto her.First i Picked up a genuine nudge bar for $100 off gumtree, and some black duck front seat covers.
After my first outing into the wild, and a few runs into some bog holes a little bigger than expected (water a quater way up the doors) i decided some dif breathers were in order. Got an ARB breather kit and turnded up an adapter plug for the rear diff. Next mod to go in was Tonys EGR blank, Then a secondary fuel filter.
While on a trip down the south coast for some kiteboarding over new years 2014/15, i went for an adventure along some powerlin tracks, misjudging some bog holes again, this time well and truly giving the stock bash plates a work out. So onto the forum i went and picked up some new stainless plates on a christmas special. I also found out on this trip that having no cover over the tub, means wet gear, so jumped on trusty gumtree again and got a flush cover for $150 bucks.
I went on my annual fishing trip to Eucambene near cooma, where i quickly found out how alloy side steps not only decrease your clearance, but are also not very good at sliding over rocks. So onto the forum i jumped and found some slider plans. Got some sliders whipped up by a local steel fabricator for $350 for the pair. Pretty happy.
Then i managed to pick up an ARB delux winch bar off gumtree for $200. Did not come with mounting brackets however, so that sat in the shed for a long time.
Next i got a Thumper air compressor from 4wd supa centre, works a treat and was really cheap. Got some free tie downs and dirty bag with it so can not complain.
Next was new tyres, on went some 265/70/16 Dick Cepek trail countries, on 16 inch black sunnies. Tyres made a massive differance in off road performance. I revisited the bog holes that had me stuck when i first got her, and this time i got through no troubles (i must admit it was partly due to my lack of off road skill, that i got stuck the first times).
Although even with the new tyres i was still getting stuck, so i was in the market for some recovery tracks. I'm a landscape architect by day and i had used FRP industrial grating for a number of board walks, bridges and decks i had design over the years. So i managed to get hold of some panels of grating and whipped up some home made tracks. They work a treat and have saved me on several occasions now.
Then i managed to pick up a free high lift jack from my dad, so that got added to my recover gear
From here i had exhausted most of my funds with the new tyres so she stayed this way for some time.
Next on went the snorkel earlier this year for a trip down to buckenderra.
Testing the stock flex and sliders
Next i got some spotties from 4wd supacentre
Then i managed to get enough coin together to get my bar sorted. The bar went off to NFTF to get painted (They did a stunning job, and for a very decent price). Order went into ARB for the fit kit, and then the waiting game started for it to arrive.
The kit finally arrived 4 months after i ordered it. Took me and a mate 7 hours all up to fit the bar.
so this is how she looks at the moment. I have recently managed to pick up an old steel rack from a 100 series, a warn XD9000 winch, and some recovery gear. so they shall be making their way onto Calamity in the coming months.
Next on the list is a DIY canopy from to hold the roof rack i got
Lift will hopefully go in when i sell my lancer that has been sitting round for the last 2 years
a Batwing/foxwing awning will go on when i get the roof rack sorted out