Gutters Alloy Canopy Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Gutters Alloy Canopy Build

Postby gutters on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:50 am

I thought I would start a new thread specific to my alloy canopy build, my other thread is outdated and I can't seem to change the original thread title.

After our trip away this year we decided to sell the camper and move back to a basic camping setup that allowed us to get even further away from the crowds and not have to worry about towing a heavy camper offroad. The current tub and fibreglass canopy doesn't cut it - pathetic dust sealing and poor use of space so we have decided to go with a chassis mount alloy canopy.

After a couple of months of research and navel gazing I've settled on a checker plate chassis mount canopy (1850w and 1650l) from MK Metal in Brendale - http://www.mkmetal.com.au/

The build will start in the new year, I'm going to try and keep it as light weight and simple as possible. Roof top tent for the kids and tent cots for the missus and I, water tank, batteries and fridge at the front of the canopy and basic alloy storage sections for our gear to keep it organised.

The tub and canopy will be coming off sometime in January and I don't want to be holding onto it and will most likely be free to good home (they are a little second hand) so if you are interested watch this space.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Re: Gutters Alloy Canopy Build

Postby johno on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:36 am

You say that you have been looking for a while...what made you decide on that mob??
was it the build quality ?? price ?? availability ??
I'm in the process of doing that same thing, I want to get a custom made canopy with lift off ability so that I can use it as I ute on the farm.
I am wondering if there is a few places in Brendale that make these things, the guy that I've been talking to in in Brendale (my toolboxes) it might be the same mob under a different name ??

I would be interested in your details of what you will be getting built....good luck with the rebuild :D
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby gutters on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:12 am

I've had a look at a lot of the canopy makers in SE QLD and I ended up going with MK Metal for the following reasons

They custom make to your requirements - I didn't want a mass produced 1800 x 1800 box to go on a tray
Fully Australian made
Good value for money
Mark is really easy to get along with and nothing seems too much trouble

My father in law recently bought an alloy canopy through them too and I was really impressed with the quality of his canopy. I also need the canopy by end of March and a lot of the custom canopy makers are flat out with long lead times and a few of them make really flash units that are unfortunately out of my price range.

As far as I know MK Metal and My Toolbox are not affiliated.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby bigjobs on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:10 am

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out mate.

Totally agree with you on the negaitives of tub/fiberglass canopy setups, makes me wish went with a tray and a custom alloy job.

I'm jealous :-)
bigjobs

Postby gutters on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:05 am

bigjobs wrote:Totally agree with you on the negaitives of tub/fiberglass canopy setups, makes me wish went with a tray and a custom alloy job.

I wish I knew what I know now when i first bought the Triton I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on the tub and canopy setup. IMHO if you are going to use a dual cab as a tourer then an alloy canopy is a much better option. I've steered a few friends and family members down this path now and they couldn't be happier.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby johno on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:07 am

gutters wrote: I wish I knew what I know now when i first bought the Triton I wouldn't have wasted my time and money on the tub and canopy setup.

I'm totally agree with you there, I pick up Triton no2 this week and I have done just that!
The tray was put on Thursday, but they ran out of time for the other bits.
After the troubles that I had with my canopy last time, I thought this would be a better way to go for a few reasons.
There seems to be a few on here now going the "the alloy canopy, or pod" way.
There might be a new topic in this! :roll:
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby gutters on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:22 am

johno wrote:There might be a new topic in this! :roll:

Good idea, I really struggled to find information and ideas to pinch when I was looking around. My missus is a demon on Facebook and found the Aussie Ute Campers page, which resulted in me dusting off my old Facebook account... Lots of good ideas on canopies and fitouts if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AussieUteCampers/
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:29 pm

The best thing I done to the Triton! So happy I went to the trouble to do mine!

I hated the tub and canopy setup in my old ute, and when I went to the stealer to look at the MQ with a fibreglass canopy, I could barely fit my head through the side window, and hated the thought of trying to take something out through it especially with bigger tyres and a lift thrown in!

It gives you so much more usable space, and the ability to remove (with Jack off system) makes it so versatile!

If you consider the cost of the tray and the canopy, mine cost me around 6000. Worth every cent!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby gutters on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Had the Triton in at Superior Engineering today to fit their Chassis bracing plates in preparation for the canopy. I'm going with the attitude of prevention is better than cure - touch wood.

https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/ ... l-mn-28759

Click to view larger picture
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby snakesoup on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:05 pm

nice one mate, I fitted mine the other day also, although I did not fit the rear plates only the front ones, where they snap !!Click to view larger picture
snakesoup

Postby gutters on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

We dropped the Triton in to MK Metal today so they can finish off the canopy and fit it.

We have gone with a chassis mount canopy and I'm having a 100l aux fuel tank built into the underside that will gravity feed into the main tank.We will have an underside tool box on the drivers side and a custom gas holder on the passenger side to hold a 4kg gas bottle, other than that its a blank canvas.

I've been really happy with the service and the build quality is top notch, can't wait to get it home next week and start on the internal fit out.

Aux fuel tank, top still to go on...

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby johno on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 am

gutters wrote: can't wait to get it home next week and start on the internal fit out.

looking real good mate :) That is a different idea with the fuel tank.
Now for the fun bit....getting it home and working out what to do next.
Good luck with it....keep the photos coming.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby tacticaltriton on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 pm

That's nice mate. There will be an alloy jobby on my next truck I reckon.
tacticaltriton

Postby Ray57MQ on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 pm

looking great Gutters, can't wait to see your fitout !
like a few others, wish I had gone with a trayback instead of focusing on a tub with canopy later...oh well I'm the goose :lol:
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby gutters on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

We picked the Triton up this evening, very happy with the quality and the service from Mark and the team at MK Metal, nothing was too much trouble. I highly recommend these guys if you are looking for anything made out of alloy, some of the other projects and jobs they have on the go are really awesome.

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby jlmac on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi Gutters
Great looking canopy. Just wondering how the fuel tank worked out. Is it part of the floor of the canopy or a different section underneath it.
Cheers
jlmac

Postby gutters on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 am

jlmac wrote:Hi Gutters
Great looking canopy. Just wondering how the fuel tank worked out. Is it part of the floor of the canopy or a different section underneath it.
Cheers

Its a separate tank that is bolted to the sub floor frame of the canopy between the rear chassis rails.

MK Metal placed 30L of diesel in it and I've drained that into my main tank and that worked well, I haven't filled the Aux tank yet so can't comment on how quickly it fills but overall I'm very happy with it.

Much cheaper than a replacement long range tank with more capacity and the redundancy of 2 tanks.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been plugging away over the last few weekends and have finally got the canopy fit out finished and ready for our camping trip to Bribie Island over Easter. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out here is what we have done so far;

2 x 105 AGM deepcycle batteries
Ctek 250S with Smartpass
120 watt solar panel
50l Waeco CFX Fridge
28l Waeco CFX freezer
100l Water tank
Pantry/Kitchen
Storage drawers
White and Yellow LED lights
Permanent rear view camera
Compressor
600 watt inverter
Maxtrax holder
Dirty gear bag
Rooftop tent
Awnings over each of the doors.

Sorry about the low quality pic's i snapped them with the phone.

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby snakesoup on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:00 pm

looks great gutters ! done well looks really well setup
snakesoup

Postby Crash486 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Top job. I like it a lot!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Crash486

Postby gutters on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm

snakesoup wrote:looks great gutters ! done well looks really well setup

Crash486 wrote:Top job. I like it a lot!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :D
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Return to Member Build Ups