Subi's carPC

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Subi's carPC

Postby subi_man on Sat May 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Following the lead of some others here, I have been gathering some components for my very own carPC. I've had it assembled and working for a little while, but finally got some time to start installing it this weekend. Should be 100% finished tomorrow, but right now it's in and working 8-)

I'm running a small Dell Optiplex SX270 Windows XP PC with Pentium4 2.8gHz, 40gig HDD, 1GB RAM &CD-Rom.
Add a Lilliput 7" touchscreen, Carnetix CNX-P2140 power regulator, GPS receiver, Centrafuse and OziExplorer software (with Australia 250K & HEMA 4WD maps) and you have a fully working carPC 8-) All up cost just over $600 (the most expensive bit being the screen). I also splashed out for an aftermarket Kenwood headunit (on sale for $110)

Later I plan on adding USB Bluetooth, USB Next-G wireless broadband and OBDII reader with Tactrix cable

Thanks to Smeghead (especially for the logo), 'Saurus and Greedy for help and encouragement along the way.

The PC
Click to view larger picture

The power regulator. This is a very neat bit of gear - it controls the PC switching on and off using the Hibernate feature. With the PC running, turning off the key will hibernate and power-down the PC. Turn the key on and everything starts up just where you left off :mrgreen:

Bit of a mess! Most of this will be hidden under the passenger seat.

Lilliput touchscreen (man there's some dust in my Triton :roll: )

Voila - it lives!!

Centrafuse "frontend" - controls all your software, music, iPod etc

OZIexplorer (what I REALLY wanted this setup for) Wow, it's even telling me where I am parked right now ;)

I will post up pics of everything tidied up tomorrow, but for now it's time for a celebration!!! :mrgreen:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Re: Subi's carPC

Postby Stapler401 on Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm

bam!
thats flipping brilliant. well done

Dave
Stapler401

Postby Binksy on Sat May 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Friken awesome Subi.
How do you find the useability of OZIexplorer? Was thinking of running it on my laptop.

Binksy
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish......
Binksy

Postby Homer on Sat May 23, 2009 8:11 pm

MAGNIFICENT!!!

I read your second paragraph and skipped to the first 4 pics and was thinking insurance claim :?

Sounds like you had a good team ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Sun May 24, 2009 7:13 am

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
mad992

Postby Aussiewander on Sun May 24, 2009 7:20 am

Thats s#%t hot stuff subi, all the stuff about computers is a blur to me :lol: :lol: I think i will stick with the portable gps for the time been as i struggle to use it even. But that is a top idea !!!
Aussiewander

Postby ratstriton on Sun May 24, 2009 8:35 am

That look's great subi can you run the gps and music at the same time.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks guys - yes you can run the GPS and music together 8-)

Tidied it all up this morning, the Triton is back together and road tested... and I took some daytime shots :P

Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Sun May 24, 2009 9:11 am

im looking at doing somthing similar but with a 8"laptop
i was mwondering how much you paid for a gps dongle (think thats what its called)
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby subi_man on Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 am

GPS was only about $30 from eBay (no-name thing from Thailand or Hong Kong) works well so far
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Sun May 24, 2009 10:41 am

Well done Subi! Great to see it installed. 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Sun May 24, 2009 11:10 am

Muts nuts, nice build!!!

Is centra fuse the software we can see running the photos? So it's a touch screen... when it boots up or comes out of hibernate, do you have to run anything or is the default screen the centrafuse?

I have a suggestion that will prevent some work in the future. It'd be a good idea to ghost your hard drive so you can restore it to default when windows inevitable screws up in a year or two's time.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Greedy on Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 am

Jitsukablue wrote:I have a suggestion that will prevent some work in the future. It'd be a good idea to ghost your hard drive so you can restore it to default when windows inevitable screws up in a year or two's time.

Cynic (sic)!!! :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Sun May 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Well done Subi, just wish I was that computer literate.............. :mrgreen:
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Buzzy on Sun May 24, 2009 3:39 pm

I love this stuff. Will be talking with you soon subi to get a few ideas of ya.
Top work mate
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Sun May 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Anytime Buzzy, although I am no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination!

Jitsukablue wrote:Muts nuts, nice build!!!

Is centra fuse the software we can see running the photos? So it's a touch screen... when it boots up or comes out of hibernate, do you have to run anything or is the default screen the centrafuse?

I have a suggestion that will prevent some work in the future. It'd be a good idea to ghost your hard drive so you can restore it to default when windows inevitable screws up in a year or two's time.

thanks Jits, yeah Centrafuse is that main touch screen you can see - when the PC boots up or comes out of hibernation that's the screen that appears (or if I'm running a map on Ozi then that's what comes up)

Good suggestion to ghost the drive (especially as it's probably subject to some bumps and knocks), but I have NOOO idea how to do that :oops: Is it easy to do - any tips? (told ya I was no expert Buzzy!)

Cheers
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Said it in Stalkbook and I'll say it here... Nice work Subi... When does the order screen come up... Lol...
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby Storm Trooper on Sun May 24, 2009 10:12 pm

well done subi nice work....

how much work went into fitting the screen? and what did you do with the factory display?
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby subi_man on Mon May 25, 2009 6:41 am

The main reason for the aftermarket stereo headunit was so I didn't have to go to the trouble to relocate the multi-function display (I get all the info I need from my Scanguage). I do miss the outside temp reading though.

The touchscreen wasn't hard to fit, It comes with it's own stand that I screwed in place but I did have to cut the plastic to increase the width in the opening (you can see it in the 5th pic).

Cheers
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby smeghead on Mon May 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Nice one Subi...

Looks the bollocks... 8-)
Sean

'07 | GLX-R | 3.2 DiD | Manual | Gunmetal Grey

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Mon May 25, 2009 5:55 pm

For those techheads out there, finally found it. Eee Pc is going touchscreen. From what I can find there will be two models T91 and T101 (8.9 and 10 inch respectively) thinks that the 10 might be a bit big for the car. But will be a good entry level to start with a carpc.. I'm sure there is some software out there that can start and shutdown the system on as the ignition is used (saving having to buy any further external power packs, would just need a normal ac adapter and the machine would run on it's internal battery until it shuts down).

No release dates that I can find yet but it's looking like it will have an easily navigational front end that will even negate the need for things like centrafuse. From the demos it is customizable and could set up all the icons you needed on the screen just like centra.. I'm sure a Triton/diamond logo could be put on too. It might even have built in GPS and G3 mobile.

OBDII line and the triton's Aux cable for sound and bob's your uncle..

Can't wait..
Thanks Subi for reigniting my thought process on this..
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby smeghead on Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Iron, if you can't wait for the eee pc touchscreen, there are kits available to add a touchscreen to the older eee pc's...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Asus-EEEPC-Solde ... 7C294%3A50
Sean

'07 | GLX-R | 3.2 DiD | Manual | Gunmetal Grey

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Mon May 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Smeg,

The new one is smaller and screen turns to form a tablet so will be easier to integrate into dash/outback storage..
Iron_eagle70

Postby subi_man on Mon May 25, 2009 6:17 pm

smeghead wrote:Nice one Subi...

Looks the bollocks... 8-)

thanks for all your help along the way mate - and the logo is icing on the cake 8-)
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Mon May 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Iron_eagle70 wrote:For those techheads out there, finally found it. Eee Pc is going touchscreen. From what I can find there will be two models T91 and T101 (8.9 and 10 inch respectively) thinks that the 10 might be a bit big for the car. But will be a good entry level to start with a carpc.. I'm sure there is some software out there that can start and shutdown the system on as the ignition is used (saving having to buy any further external power packs, would just need a normal ac adapter and the machine would run on it's internal battery until it shuts down).

No release dates that I can find yet but it's looking like it will have an easily navigational front end that will even negate the need for things like centrafuse. From the demos it is customizable and could set up all the icons you needed on the screen just like centra.. I'm sure a Triton/diamond logo could be put on too. It might even have built in GPS and G3 mobile.

OBDII line and the triton's Aux cable for sound and bob's your uncle..

Can't wait..
Thanks Subi for reigniting my thought process on this..

what would be the cost for a setup like this Iron?
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups