Subi's carPC

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Subi's carPC

Postby snowman on Wed May 27, 2009 1:36 pm

ah c'mon subi - do you think we are's all fools!! (Mr T voice).

...that keyboard is WAY to clean to have been in one of your cars!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan2009 on Wed May 27, 2009 1:49 pm

hey fellas, do you reckon a laptop would be any good for a car pc. mine is getting old (3 years which is about 897 in computer years) so we are going to update and i was thinking of using it as a car pc. it has bluetooth and all that jazz and considering it can run on battery when in hibernation i thought it would be ideal.
dan2009

Postby subi_man on Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 pm

snowman wrote:...that keyboard is WAY to clean to have been in one of your cars!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya got me there mate, that keyboard is a fake, the real one is mounted on the roof

(oh and I have vowed never to park anywhere near yours ,DiD3.2 or anyone else with a clean White Trite - I will be the dirty cousin off to the side that no-one likes to talk about)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 pm

hey dan im going down the loptop path as ive seen one in my uncles disco and it wicked but im going to get one of those new 8"screen ones with ssdrives for about 3-4 hundred and then get a wireless gps reciever then ill get a mounting system from electric bug 8-) that way i can still remove it and wach movies and stuff in the tent :twisted:
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby Wallace on Wed May 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Subi wrote
"I will be the dirty cousin off to the side that no-one likes to talk about"

Thats called being used friendly :lol: :lol: Great job subi have seen this in other members sheds and would be a good thing.....BUT..... when in comes to technology I have DADS disease........ ;) ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby CrnBrb on Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 am

You've inspired me!!! I was thinking of getting a similar system installed, I think I might give it a go myself. I may be asking a few questions during the process so any help would be great.... Lets start buying!!! :D
CrnBrb

Postby subi_man on Fri May 29, 2009 6:31 am

Go for it CB, happy to help out if I can... and there are more knowledgeable people than me here if I'm too blind for you :lol: :lol:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Eelesy on Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm

You inspired me Subi, i rearanged my Comp and Converter so big feeted ppl wont kick it. it now sits further under the chair like urs.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby subi_man on Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 pm

No mate, you guys inspired ME in the first place! 8-) It's definitely good to have it up the front as far as possible though, like you say to keep ugly boots OFF!

I got something in the mail today - I bought this neat little roll-up keyboard ($10 from eBay). I thought it would be good to chuck under the seat ready for the day when I have wireless internet connected, rather than use the touchscreen keyboard :P

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Eelesy on Sat May 30, 2009 12:25 am

this is a must.

for some reason my carputer shit itself when i was bush in dwellingup and i was planning on using OziExplorer for navigation.

It required me to press any key to continue upon rebooting.

now i carry a roll up keyboard in the glovebox
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Binksy on Sat May 30, 2009 12:42 am

Does the roll up keyboard come with an 'any' key ? :!: :?:

I've looked all over my keyboard and can't find it.. :cry:
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish......
Binksy

Postby Eelesy on Sat May 30, 2009 12:46 am

i think its somewhere near Esc... and Ctrl????

Where did i put my damn bird
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby subi_man on Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 am

dammit, I just looked at my new KB and there isn't an ANY key :roll:
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby KevO78 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey subi, would you know if you can get your fuel consumption info on the pc like the original display somehow?
KevO78

Postby subi_man on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Pretty sure this can be done Kev - the Centrafuse software has a built-in OBD reader (for the plug under the dash) and there is other PC software for OBD stuff. I haven't looked any further into it because my Scanguage does the fuel consumption calcs like the original trip computer did

Cheers
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 am

Subi.. Why leave it under the seat. I recon just wire it up and attach it to the rear of the Sun visor. Flip down for keyboard easy as.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby Homer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 am

And to look like the total computer geek he could have his memory stick on his key ring.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am

firstly it looks very good subi - i am impressed. 8-)

but personally, i get in my car to get away from my computer........ :x
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:58 am

Excellent work Subi that really looks a million bucks - well done. I am but a jealous bastard now - Nice screen, going on central australia trip, trailer :mrgreen: Id organise to steal your car but its white and full of dust :D ;)

Any chance you can summarise what any problems were (if any) you had during the install ? and any things you now know about the screen setup seeing as its in up and running ? (ie rev camera compatible, brightness control, does the remote work seeing as the IR thingy is behind the dash etc )

If youve got any pics or info on how you bolted the screen in and info on how you cut the dash that would be great too ;) Not that I ask for much...... :lol:
Choady

Postby Eelesy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Seeing as tho a few of us have the same set up i might be able to answer.

the dash surround itself does not have to be cut, however behind that does, on the right hand side only, to allow the button side of the screen to fit. its more or less just take out the width of the screen + 5mm to allow for movement to get it right.

The screen itself comes with a bracket the is adjustable, and double sided tape. For me it was trial and error of sticking it down, the replacing the surround and having a look, did this a few times till i got it right. once it was fine i screwed the bracket down to the original plastic with a few wafers. not pretty by any means, but covered up so who cares.

Once set up the remote does not need to be used. but on mine i drilled out a small hole in the side of the surround that allows the remote to work at an angle if needed.

The lilliput screen does not have a auto reverse sensing input to switch over. i hear other touchscreens do. but im sure there is hardware/programs out there that can make this possible. brightness can be adjusted via the remote. but once again when set right, centrafuse also has a seperate button that dims the screen in 3 settings for dark night driving.

geez my fingers are sore.
:lol: :lol:
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Choady on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Eelesy - hey Tritonasarous ? I was stumped at who this new dude was wth 800+ posts and a platinum subscriber......then found the name changing post :D so whats the background with the new name?

I was wasnt sure about the IR sensor on the screen once tucked away behind the covers. Im keen to give it a go now too - just want a screen thats auto switch reverse comptible. I dont want to stuff round with pullin apart screens, soldering buttons etc to make it work.

Thanks for the reply.
Choady

Postby Eelesy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:09 pm

The new name is MY name. haha, and plus it matches my custom plates now.

If you really want to learn/confuse yourself, get reading the forums on www.mp3car.com

Lots to learn there. like the lilliput has a hidden menu that didnt even come in the manual.
When i first set up my carputer i had the ir sensor hole there cos i had to turn on the monitor every time. but i since found out you can change what it does when i recieves power via this hidden menu. ie boot up and display, boot up to standby. what input to start at. all that

There will also be threads on a screen that matches ur needs.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Choady on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks mate. I had a bit ofa poke round MP3 forum, but is MASSIVE :o

Wife already hates the amount of time I spend here !! But I dd stumble across a lot of cool stuff. Just need to search some more.

What model screen do you and Subi Have ??
Choady

Postby Eelesy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Mine is the Lilliput EB701.

I got mine off ebay aaaages ago. when the dollar was good as it came from the States
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby jacko on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Choady wrote:Thanks mate. I had a bit ofa poke round MP3 forum, but is MASSIVE :o

Wife already hates the amount of time I spend here !! But I dd stumble across a lot of cool stuff. Just need to search some more.

What model screen do you and Subi Have ??

mate just bought my touchscreen the same model from www.cbuynet.com and it cost $190
Jacko
jacko

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups