Safari Snorkel on V6

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Safari Snorkel on V6

Postby Storm Trooper on Sun May 31, 2009 5:06 pm

Ok guys. . . . after a grueling 4 hours . . . yes i really took my time cause i did not want to damage any panels or in the worst case need new panels, i measured twice and drilled once. . . i have managed to install the safari snorkel to the V6 triton engine :D

i think Safari owes me some R&D money.... cause i have finished so late, yeah i know i should have woke up earler and start in the morning, there was no light left to take any photos to post... will do tomorrow and post em when i get home from work. EDIT: Photos Posted.
:D

i think i am the first triton V6 with the Safari Snorkel yeah :D :D

a big thank you goes to Wallace for his help, cheers mate.

Click to view larger picture

here is a side view minus the flare and inner mud/plastic guard.

you can tell i installed this myself, bought the white and not the black sikkaflex, did not know they come in different colours . . . will be painting it black at a later date.

Last edited by Storm Trooper on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Re: Safari Snorkel on V6

Postby Buzzy on Sun May 31, 2009 9:03 pm

I think you would be the first ST looking forward to your pics.
Top bloke that Wallace ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 am

Look forward to seeing them mate. Will be interesting to see if cooler air gives better HP or economy.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 am

I think the Snorkel coupled with the Unifilter will make a fair bit of difference....well done Stormy, will be keen to see those pics! :D
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby Skog07 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 am

Well done Stormie. Get some pics up of the install.
How did you cut the hole in the panel? Did you use a hole saw or did you find another way????
Im taking it you wont need my 100mm hole saw now?
Well done there mate.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 am

Hey Skog

yeah my cousin is a plumber and he managed to get both holesaws this all happened on sunday... after he dropped in at midday...., he told me he did not have em to start with and hence why i asked you... :D

anyway its all done and looking good, mate it sounds awesome on full throttle :twisted:
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby Wallace on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Well done Stormie, look forward to having a gander in a couple of weeks. Now that it is possible to put the snorkel on the V6 who's next............Adz , Snowflake.......anyone? :lol: :lol: BTW only to happy to help. Thanks 8-) 8-)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Wallace wrote:Well done Stormie, look forward to having a gander in a couple of weeks. Now that it is possible to put the snorkel on the V6 who's next............Adz , Snowflake.......anyone? :lol: :lol: BTW only to happy to help. Thanks 8-) 8-)

like wise Wallace, i should mention to everyone that there was no additional parts needed or modifications required, just follow the manufacturers instructions and you'll be right, instructions have photos so really didn't need to post em there going to be the same. must have the correct tools thats the important part.

i must say i have had a good look in the engine bay for both the petrol and desiel and really the only difference is the motor every thing else is mostly the same, next time i am with some desiel owners i will be checking out the battery location as there is a tjm battery tray (the tray that fits the 10" and 12") they say only fits the desiel motor, i'll be seeing if thats true. :D

thanks everyone for your kind words, and for the V6 owners the sound on full throttle is like the MIVEC motors :twisted:
Storm Trooper

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am

More money...need more money....

I like the look mate...but I'd get one just for the noise :twisted:

Can I ask what they go for?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 am

Around $450 mate...thats what i got mine for. But heard they are jumping to around $495
ML-VR08

Postby ratstriton on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey Storm Trooper
I have just bought the safari snorkel just wondering how you remove the flair's :?:
thanks
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 am

Ratstriton

easy undo the mud flap first and then the inner plastic guard in the wheel arch...
:idea: ensure once again that no nuts, bolts, screws, clips etc.... are left

trust me double check cause you'll break something more than likely your flare if you don't.

there are a few ways to remove the flare

1. try and pop the clips out with the flare, easy way... but your more than likely to break the clips or the bit in the flare that holds the clips.

2. turn the entire flare clock wise (applies only to the right side of the vehicle) and the clips should come out of there holding bit on the flare.

3. if you have small enough hands, you could once all you inner plastic guards are off, push the clips out.

good luck let us know how you go, and if i can help you with anything :)
Storm Trooper

Postby King Triton on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 am

Storm Trooper did some calculations of his fuel consumption on the way to the Brindabella's and the Snorkel has made a huge difference. What was the figure you got again ST?

7.5 litres per 100km :? :? :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol: ;)

I am going to buy a snorkel for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:
King Triton

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i thought i told you it was 7.5km/litre :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok ok i had a brain fart and did the calculation the wrong way round.... 8-)

for those that wanted to know its 13.2litres/100km and thats a saving of of 0.4litres of my normal highway driving.
Storm Trooper

Postby Naff on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:31 pm

You were just dreaming you had a diesel again ST ;)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:38 pm

NaffX214 wrote:You were just dreaming you had a diesel again ST ;)

i choked on diesel fumes all weekend on the brindies trip, luckly Adz and Nowforthe5th were there! :lol:
Storm Trooper

Postby spinner on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 pm

8-) Storm Tropper
I am also thinking of buying a safari snorkel and dont fancy paying the $255 install fee, so I was wondering is it hard to install or is it worth getting it installed. Also does it impair your vision at all, cause I couldnt stand it if I installed it and the missus reckons she cant see out of the window now. 8-)
Thats going to hurt
spinner

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 pm

spinner, i have the safari fitted to my DiD and i can tell you that you are hard pressed even seeing it from the normal driving position. vision obscuration is absolutely not a problem.
i will say that (maybe more so with the petrol and diesels with unifilters) at full noise (particularly in low range with less wind noise) it does sound very cool BUT at some revs you do get a slight 'reverb' type effect which can be a little annoying.

those doing your own install, don't forget vehicle colour matching paint for the panel post cutting......

oh and Homer...dont stand behind 'flake' when approaching her flanks with that holesaw mate :o :P
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Spinner

the safari snorkel hides pretty well behind the pillar, you would need to lean forward or towards the window to notice the snorkel and even then you dont see the whole thing, its in a good spot, it diffinently not a problem vision wise.

installation in not hard, it just takes time... and the right tools, i would not even thing of doing this if i did not have the right tools as mentioned in the instructions.

read the instruction they are available on the net @ safari, and if you think you can do it than you'll be right. the instruction are right. let us know how you go.
Storm Trooper

Postby giancarlo93 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 am

Does the snorkel for the diesel and gas engines are in the same side?
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
giancarlo93

Postby King Triton on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 am

Would Agree with ST on the installation i have been looking in to doing it myself but by the time you buy the 2 holes saws (good quality so you get a nice cut) metal undercoat primer, touch up paint, and some fish oil you are looking a over $150.
And if you make a mistake than you have to fix it.
The only reason i am still considering doing it myself is because i know i will undercoat and touch up the holes and then add a smear of fish oil to make sure it does not rust, but i don't know if i can trust ARB to do the same.
King Triton

Postby Wallace on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 pm

King, why don't you talk to Storm and get together and have a little working bee :?: After all the gong ain't that far from Sydney. Food for thought :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: or you can just tell me to go jump :lol: :lol:
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Storm Trooper on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Wallace wrote:King, why don't you talk to Storm and get together and have a little working bee :?: After all the gong ain't that far from Sydney. Food for thought :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: or you can just tell me to go jump :lol: :lol:

King i'm cool with wallace's idea, find a mate with the hole saws, like i did and just pay them $30 to re-sharpen them :P
Storm Trooper

Postby salt36 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Wallace wrote:Well done Stormie, look forward to having a gander in a couple of weeks. Now that it is possible to put the snorkel on the V6 who's next............Adz , Snowflake.......anyone? :lol: :lol: BTW only to happy to help. Thanks 8-) 8-)

Hey Stormie can you confirm the snorkel is for the ML 3.2 diesel ?
Local ARB (Shepparton) dude says I cant fit because safari dont make for the petrol........ :roll:

I explained to him the air box is probably in the same spot and makes no difference.... He thought about it and finally agreed that could be possible. Obviously they dont pay much for salesman as not very bright at all...... :lol: :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby giancarlo93 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 am

Hi everyone
I have a petrol triton ML
and we fitted a diesel snorkel, its the same, it goes in the right fender.
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
giancarlo93

Next

Return to Member Build Ups