FrankenTrailer

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

FrankenTrailer

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Watching all you guys punching out these TriTrailers is very interesting, and motivational, but i wonder how practical they are. Most of the loads I move are rather light and bulky so i need more room than a triton tray allows.
A solution arose when my 20 year old, roughly, camper trailer developed a leak when it was in storage over winter. The dreaded black mould moved in and perished the canvas to a state were it was unrepairable. The more I investigated, the worse it got, it was everywere and you cant get rid of this stuff.
A bit of history. I'm the third owner of this camper. It started out life as a hard floor onroad camper whose chassis broke due to rough use. It was then mounted on a heavy duty Chassis on 16" wheels with a five leaf spring pack and a Treg coupling. The next owner mounted swing away wheel/jerry can/gas bottle holder, Boat and outboard frame, fuel tank and a 60 l water tank under, as well as seven leaf springs. I bought it for $500 in a very poor condition, added another 60l water tank, water pump, electrics and converted the boat carrier for my canoes. I was doing it up when the seal failed.
Click to view larger picture

So what to do. Convert it to a Trailer of course.

Stripped the camper off

Cut off all the extras

Add a 7' by 5' alloy drop side tray from ebay $300

Refurbish Electrics

Refurbish water pump

The first trial run

It certainly proved its worth over easter,carrying all the camping gear for 8 people for 4 days.

It certainly aint pretty, but it sure is practical
Last edited by ag9111 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: FrankenTrailer

Postby Storm Trooper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm

good thinking ag9111, but what would it have cost you if you where to buy a new canvas for the tent?

on the last photo, if it was me and i was using it for work i would get rid of those two smaller looking tool boxes and add either one large tool box facing forward... or two side by side facing out with the gull wing type lids. just my two cent worth. :D
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Wasn't just the canvas Stormy. The hard lid required replacing due to vibration and corrosion. Hence the leak. Floor was full of dry rot. Black mould was all through the plywood lining. Steel frame work was well and truly rusted, being held together by the plywood. It had had its day.
The first trip photo was taken the thursday before easter. Will be replacing the small boxes on the front with a larger alloy box, as they wont take the chainsaw or generator. It is still a work in progress. Have to move the two water tanks to the rear as the balance isnt right, to much weight on towball. Used the brackets that come with the tray and they are to tall. Will drop the tray 140mm with new brackets.
Add head board and removable rear bar for canoes etc etc.
I'll get around to it one day.
Last edited by ag9111 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:15 pm

fair enough.... keep us posted with updates and don't forget pics ;)
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby Homer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 am

A bit touchy as I don't want to insult the tub trailer guys as there are some smart looking rigs out there, but that to me is a much better proposition. Yours will actually carry something.
I like the long drawbar too for easier reversing/less jacknifing.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 am

Love the battery name: Standard Duty Battery

What the fcuk is standard duty??

Looks great ag9111 !!
spargo

Postby King Triton on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:03 am

Nice looking trailer mate.
The label for your switches looks really professional, where did you get that from ? ;) ;)
King Triton

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 am

Homer wrote:A bit touchy as I don't want to insult the tub trailer guys

With you there Homer. You can buy those 4' x3' trailers from repco. If that is all you need thats fine. A tritrailer may suit some people, It doesn't suit me.
King Triton wrote:Nice looking trailer mate.

You haven't been up close to it yet KT. Pretty it isn't.
King Triton wrote:The label for your switches looks really professional, where did you get that from ? ;) ;)

I know a guy in the label business. He does an alright job :lol: :lol: If any one wants labels made up PM me and i'll fwd his name :twisted:

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 am

King Triton wrote:The label for your switches looks really professional, where did you get that from ? ;) ;)

I know a guy in the label business. He does an alright job :lol: :lol: If any one wants labels made up PM me and i'll fwd his name :twisted:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one ag111
Storm Trooper

Return to Member Build Ups