Sapient's CarPC

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Sapient's CarPC

Postby Sapient on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 am

Well its been a while coming, but I am finally bench testing my CarPC setup (minus the screen).

Using a new Foxconn MB with 2.3Ghz Atom FANLESS processor.....for now here is some pics of the PC assembly:

The box.....220mmx190mmx60mm
Click to view larger picture

Front cover comes off and has two usb ports, one of which will take the Wireless adaptor, the other will have a usb drive which the system will boot from.

Rear Panel. More usb ports, and an ethernet port.

Installation goes smoothly, at this point I am debating some additional shock proofing of the MB, and a possible low speed fan, but bench testing will tell me if its completely necessary or not...

HDD installed, only 160gb cause I had one sitting around, completed version will have at least 250gb.

Next step is to hook up the 12v power supply module and start installing software (XP, Centrafuse or alternative, Oziexplorer). It turns out one of my suppliers for my business has moved into this tiny form factor PC stuff and is offering me excellent prices. Could be a new business venture on the cards???
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Sapient's CarPC

Postby King Triton on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am

Sapient

Looks good mate. :D Keep the pics and info coming.
Just wondering how it will go not having a fan, it might get pretty hot under the seat as there is not much ventilation.
King Triton

Postby subi_man on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

Will be great Sapient - my next upgrade will be a purpose built PC like this, although the Dell is doing all that I need at the moment. I had a little trouble on our trip with the PC overheating and shutting down, until I realized that one of my daughters was hoarding all her "souvenirs" (rocks, feathers and other kid related crap) under the seat and cutting off the airflow :lol: Once I had sorted that it was all good.

Keep the build pics coming mate 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:30 am

Looking good Sapient. It's gonna be a powerful bugger computing wise. 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Looking good... the vents in the case may be a bit of a concern re dust and crap getting into it... just FYI...
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Sapient on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Quinny23 wrote:Looking good... the vents in the case may be a bit of a concern re dust and crap getting into it... just FYI...

Way ahead of you.....filters from my disused fish tank already in place.....

Early tests......mmm good!!!, but thinking of turning to Linux to avoid all those pesky licences.....
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:22 pm

LOL... Brilliant...

I dont think there is a good open source front end avalable yet... plus you may run into driver issues depending on what you want to attach.. (IE OBD connections, Radio adapters etc)

But if you find one then let me know as I'd be interested... (But really... with torrent sites who needs an MS license anyway!)
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Return to Member Build Ups