Nos setup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Nos setup

Postby BOSSONNOS on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:17 pm

A few have asked me to post up some pics and info regarding the Nos on my ML 3.2.

Nos is pretty simple to set up on a diesel as you only need the right amount of fuel to match the Nos, we are lucky to have late model diesels as we already have good pistons and strong conrods, the trick with Nos is not to be too greedy and try and pump in 250hp worth because that WILL lead to breakage.

My set up consists of a fogger nozzle which is located in my intake pipe just before the throttle body, i have solenoids on the firewall, 1 for the Nos and 1 for the purge - note that my fogger set up has a blanked off tube on 1 side, this was for a wet Nos set up on my BA XR8 - the purge is just for wank factor so you don't need it - if you order a Nos kit all you need is a 25 - 100 hp dry Nos kit.
The Nos system is powered up by the aircraft style toggle switch in the centre console - the blue button is for the purge. once the power is activated the Nos will then be activated by a throttle switch when full throttle is applied - WARNING, IF EVERYTHING IS PLUMBED UP AND READY TO GO DO NOT HAVE BOTTLE OPEN AND THE FOGGER NOZZLE IN THE INTAKE WHEN TESTING IF THE THROTTLE SWITCH IS ACTIVATING AT THE RIGHT TIME - THIS WILL FILL YOUR INTAKE PLENUM WITH NOS AND WILL EXPLODE WHEN YOU START THE CAR. MAKE SURE THE BOTTLE IS CLOSED BEFORE TESTING THE SWITCH.
I have a chip for mine so what i do do is up the fuel settings before i'm going to use the Nos, too much fuel is better than not enough, i have a 75hp jet in my system and i do think it will take up 100hp but i haven't tried because it makes so much more toque with 75hp it will do.
Now when you use the Nos for the first time - drive off and get up to 3rd gear 60kmh - activate the power switch and then give the trottle a quick stab it will be like and extra 50 odd HP coming on like a light switch.

if the pics don't show you enough feel free to ask for more or ask questions, don't be scared of Nos, all the stories you hear of engine blowing up is because there has been an idiot involved in the set up - i have setup quite alot of cars with nos and have not had an engine failure. I do hope this clears up a few wives tales on using Nos - it's cheap easy HP, leave it off when driving on the black top(if you want) and use it for sand or mud or wahtever else you want - it's fun giving V8's the Sh*ts though.

Fogger in intake tube
Click to view larger picture

Switch and purge button

Purge tube

throttle switch
Solenoids

ML, 3.2, 75hp shot of NOS, sting chip, Manta 3 Inch exhaust,
IRONMAN Lift, IRONMAN dual battery monitor, dual batteries, Narva spotlights, tx300 2 way.
BOSSONNOS

Re: Nos setup

Postby amalinze on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Are NOS systems legal? Esp over here on the East side? Not that the rest of my car is.... :D

Whats a tank of NOS worth? How much do you use?
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby BOSSONNOS on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm

Nos is not legal on the road in any state - it will state for off road use only. some states you can have the system can be fitted but the bottle can't be in the vehicle and the hose must be disconnected.

A 10lb bottle of Nos costs about $150.00 to fill - you get about 10-15 1/4 mile runs with a 150 shot from experience.
IRONMAN Lift, IRONMAN dual battery monitor, dual batteries, Narva spotlights, tx300 2 way.
BOSSONNOS

Postby Blue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I WANT NOS...!!! 8-)
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 pm

So you can giggle while you limp home? :twisted:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Homer wrote:So you can giggle while you limp home? :twisted:

Good point... :(
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Below the belt...sorry :oops:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:05 pm

:lol: thick skin here Homer - nearly as thick as your wookie coat... :P
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 pm

:lol: :lol:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 am

Can you tell us a bit about the Sting chip too pls, BOSSONNOS? 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby BOSSONNOS on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 am

The Sting chip is a new chip on the market distributed from W.A, all the chips available now are pretty much the same. the Sting chip does not have an external adjustment, to adjust you need to undo 2 screws on 1 end and slide the circuit board out to move a bridging pin to change the rev range you want most of your power and under that is the fuel. my Triton was 113.9 hp (84.95 kw) at the wheels standard, then i changed the exhaust which increased torque a little but not power (2kw), then i fitted the chip and it now makes 139.7 hp (104.2 kw) at the wheels with a substantial torque increase - i have also wound up the boost to 15 psi which is all the adjustment on the wastegate you have.
Before the chip and exhaust my fuel consumption was 11.2 l/100 it is now 9.2 l/100 with me driving it and when my father in law has it for a couple of days i get it back reading 8.4 l/100 - don't know how he does it.

If there is any interest i'll look at doing a group buy of the chips for the forum, i should have pamphlets very soon with all the info - i was the guinne pig for testing them and some others as i have my own Dyno and i'm out of the CBD so there is no B.S involved in the improvements they make. at the end of the day they work and i don't sell crap that doen't work because then you will get P*&$ed off customers.

Dave
BOSSONNOS

Return to Member Build Ups