honkys projects

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

honkys projects

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 pm

been pretty hopeless taking pics lately, and even worse at posting- but anyways. here's a brief tri trailer buildup (yeh, yeh another one)

was going to build a camper trailer with an oztrail tant on top, so i'd already scabbed parts prior. To those who don't know, this was originally Adz tub, Blue dropped it off to my workshop and then i ended up owning it :lol:

below is the suspension, using Jag coilovers (with King Springs installed) in an independent arrangement.

Click to view larger picture

this is the dry run with the tub on and water tank mounted. i fabricated a stainless tank to hold about 50 litres, not essential, but those who have built these trailers before know that towball weight (or lack of) is a problem, so the water is there to help out, and it saves running to the river. toolbox was a quick one for holding gas bottle/power supply/recovery gear etc

this is after powdercoating the chassis etc (i couldn't be bothered with paint) stipple finish on top of duragal should last for a fair while. i ended up modding the toolbox to mount a dual action pump tap (it was originally running to cassette the kitchen in the tray) also plated the triangle of the drawbar to save taking shit out of the toolbox and plonking in the mud. Rims are new and running 33's so the height is about the same as my truck. this works well for the kitchen as well so your not bending over when cooking. this all slides into a covered cassette in the tray.

made a stainless slide out kitchen for it, the top above the sink is hinged so you can cover the sink whilst cooking and have a prep bench etc. the sink is one of the hughie sinks with handles so you remove it and toss the water. the plastic drawers are modular units from Bunnings- i couldnt be bothered making them as this was all going too far as it was. :lol:

all up took about 30hrs of work, used it on our boys weekend (loaded to the shitters with firewood and water etc) and worked perfect. nice plush suspension, doesnt bounce. kitchen worked a treat.

only thing left to do is put a spare wheel carrier right up front to help with towball weight when its empty- noticed coming home it got the sways up a bit. maybe if i'd put some effort into packing it correctly it may not have happened, but this should fix it regardless.

After all of this Mrs Honky talked me into getting a new Jayco Outback, so it just sits there now :lol:

Heres another project- Always wanted to pimp out my garage and finally got around to it. Decided on a 2.5mtr bench (the stainless doors were a fck up, so they kinda governed the size of the bench actually ;) ) and i wanted drawers to store all the day to day tools you can be bothered opening a cabinet for (you know screwdrivers/tape measures/ pliers etc) so i put 2x 1100mm drawers (on roller slides) right under the benchtop. the slides are rated to 80kg so they should do the job for ages. Swivel vice is a new one, along with the 2 cabinets- ~220pc Kincrome filled that hole nicely. just so i could hang all manner of shiite off it i made a 1.2mm splash back for it and got the whole lot powdercoated French Blue. i swear, it still gives me a boner every time i back into the garage. :lol:

so there you go- dunno what im making next, but im itching for another odd build :D
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Re: honkys projects

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Nice lot of fab work there mate , amazing what you can do when put a bit of pride into it
Looks 8-) 8-)
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 pm

It all looks fantastic, I can understand the boner getting home.

The suspension is interesting but are you sure it's strong enough to take the load through the weld where the cross member is butted up to the side rail? Maybe when you fit the tub on top it spreads the load but a plate welded over the top in that area covering the 2 cross members and side rail triangulated? to the right a bit too would beef it up. Probably stuff up fitting everything on top a bit?
Just a thought that struck me. Certainly not being picky cos I'm in awe of what you've put together.
8-)
sierra

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 pm

sierra wrote:It all looks fantastic, I can understand the boner getting home.

The suspension is interesting but are you sure it's strong enough to take the load through the weld where the cross member is butted up to the side rail? Maybe when you fit the tub on top it spreads the load but a plate welded over the top in that area covering the 2 cross members and side rail triangulated? to the right a bit too would beef it up. Probably stuff up fitting everything on top a bit?
Just a thought that struck me. Certainly not being picky cos I'm in awe of what you've put together.
8-)

yeh, thought of that. the top mount plate is all 10mm stainless steel plate, about 150mm long. thats seam welded to the 100x50 RHS and that's 3mm thick. pretty much all of the trailer has been over engineered. if you saw the track down to our camping spot, you'd know why its all 'over' engineered ;)

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 pm

cyberhonky wrote:
sierra wrote:yeh, thought of that. the top mount plate is all 10mm stainless steel plate, about 150mm long. thats seam welded to the 100x50 RHS and that's 3mm thick. pretty much all of the trailer has been over engineered. if you saw the track down to our camping spot, you'd know why its all 'over' engineered ;)

Yes, that should be strong enough to be the last bit left standing if it was tossed back to earth from from 1000km and landed on reinforced concrete. Good stuff!
:D
sierra

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm so glad my missus doesn't get on here.

Good stuff honky. Love the work bench. What depth are the drawers and where did you get them from? Might do that with mine.

And what are all the stainless tubes under your sink? looks like a Cyber...space age wine rack.

You are a hyperactive one!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Awesome job cyber 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Homer wrote:I'm so glad my missus doesn't get on here.

Good stuff honky. Love the work bench. What depth are the drawers and where did you get them from? Might do that with mine.

And what are all the stainless tubes under your sink? looks like a Cyber...space age wine rack.

You are a hyperactive one!

if your talking about the drawers in the work bench their about 600mm front/back and about 80mm height, and i made them (made the lot, other than the kincrome stuff)

all the stainless tubes are legs for the tables at macca's ;)

cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Buzzy wrote:Awesome job cyber 8-)

thankyou sir :)

cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Love ya work - wish I was that creative with a welder... actually I wish I was that creative FULL STOP 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby bobp on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:48 pm

nice work :D
i wish could get my arse into gear and do something like that
:idea: Does motivation come in tables or capsules :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
bobp

Postby jop on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Nice Cyber, i have fitted a wind down leg to the back of the tritrailer to stop any sudden layovers :?

I have a similar kitchen but in alloy, using the same oats draws - i think i will go the slide out option as well.

Just fitted a big angled toolbox 700h x 500 x 1250 to the drawbar, now to fit a wind up spare wheel holder to under the tub.

It has a 130 a/h battery box mounted inside the front of the tub and hard wired led spotlights on the hardlid.

I will take some pics this weekend while set up, got any of yours set up?
jop

Postby cyberhonky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:53 pm

i did have some of it setup, fckd if i know where they are though. i went the same with the drop jacks- put 2 jayco outback ones on. pulled them apart and turned the ballscrew 180deg so they'd drop down right, and tuck in under the tub, holesawed either side of the rego plate and put pinchweld around the cut.

cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tookie on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 pm

hi nice work mate top job how did you find welding the dual galv, spits crap to weld ??

have fun tookie wa :roll:
tookie

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:06 am

tookie wrote:hi nice work mate top job how did you find welding the dual galv, spits crap to weld ??

have fun tookie wa :roll:

shit yeh, gal is never good to weld. linish the shit out of it before you weld it ;)

cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 am

bobp wrote: :idea: Does motivation come in tables or capsules :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Geez, I hope it's capsules. Those tables are hard to swallow. :shock: :lol:
By the way, very nice work CH. 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Member Build Ups