Reversing camera / mirror LCD

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Reversing camera / mirror LCD

Postby tryhard on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:23 am

hi guys

not so much a mod, but installed a decent reversing camera solution ($589 installed)

Camera is mounted well up out of the way (need to get under tailgate to see it) :

Click to view larger picture

and when you select reverse, the image shows in the left hand section of an LCD mirror which replaces the original mirror :

Click to view larger picture

Has lines to show you roughly where you're heading - seems like a good option so far. You can also turn the camera on manually while on the road if you needed to check out anything like a trailer hitch or whatever ...
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Re: Reversing camera / mirror LCD

Postby turto on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 am

nice setup, i have been considering something similar now for a while.

How clear is the picture in the mirror?
Turto,

Beer is Life
turto

Postby tryhard on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 am

Hi mate - a lot clearer than it looks in the photo (was glare in the car and I can't take a photo ;)) - looks a bit more like the image on their website :

http://thecarkitcompany-px.rtrk.com.au/ ... =SmartPark

I had a wireless cheapy Dick Smith version with a 2.5" monitor last time and this is way clearer and more robust looking

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby subi_man on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 am

3 year warranty too!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 am

So mate, sorry to be a pain but how would you rate the following:

Reverse camera in bright sunlight/glare
Reverse camera at night
Rear Vision mirror operation day
Rear vision operation night/headlights up your clacker
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Homer

Reverse camera in bright sunlight/glare
Worked fine today and was fairly bright till it clouded over. The glare this morning affected my camera (ie. the one I was taking the photo with) but not the mirror so much

Reverse camera at night
Only got it this morning will tell you tomorrow :)

Rear Vision mirror operation day
Is fine - a bit 'muted' compared to the clear original, but still reasonable clarity

Rear vision operation night/headlights up your clacker
Will tell you about mirror at night after tonight (but while broad-minded, I refuse to put a headlight up my clacker)

:)
---

tryhard

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:42 pm

:lol:

I await your review. I've been looking for something decent that wasn't dash mount.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tryhard on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm

After a night trial mate I reckon it's pretty good.

Using the camera, reversing at night the illumination from the reversing lamps is enough to see immediately behind, not brilliant but better than seeing nothing, I was able to park close to a car behind me, no worries. Probably wouldn't reverse 150 metres up the road relying solely on it though :)

The rear view mirror when used as a plain mirror, in daylight is definitely a bit more 'muted' than normal, I'd say almost like when you flick that switch on a typical RV mirror that is meant to prevent high beam blindness, if that makes sense .... but you can see stuff with no major worries

At night using the RV mirror is similar, can see lights behind for sure, no major blindness because of that high beam mirror effect. Also clearly see tail lights of vehicles passing in opposite direction, illuminated area under street lights you just passed etc.

Only night whinge would be there is a small red power light bottom right of the mirror which seems bright when you go to look in the mirror (could easily black it out I suppose - bit of a distracting place to put it)

I also turned on the camera to see if I could see much behind while driving using the camera rather than just mirror, and you kind of see the pedestrian crossing lines as you pass over them, so you'd probably still see a trailer or whatever, not that it'd matter.

All in all I reckon I'm happy with the spend... it is definitely 100% better when reversing in typical situations.

Oh by the way this particular kit has a couple of features that might interest others ... extra camera input so you can put a camera on a camper or trailer and switch between the 2 cameras. Also some apparently (mine does) have a built in microphone in the camera, so you can up the volume and listen to what is behind you thru a small speaker in the mirror, and this only activates at the same time as the camera.

So I recommmend it, for what it's worth, mainly because of the performance, price, install, and the fact it fits in the Triton without trying to squeeze into too little space :) Much more sensible place to look than elsewhere on the dash too, compared to the last one I had.

I didn't watch the whole install but it comes up the chassis, thru the rear of the cab, he removed all trims including kick panel bit for rear and front passenger ... etc. Unless you're into S&M I think the installed price is definitely the way to go. (I think it's about $150 of the total price)
---

tryhard

Postby Homer on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks mate. Totally agree on the install as well. I'd probably break the clips of $100 worth of panels to start with :roll:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby scubapro on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 am

I bought the one from Aldi $149-00 and it works well. I installed it myself. Night time vision is not a problem as I have 2 55watt rear spots which light up the place.

A little bit of glare during the day & rear vision is OK. The only problem is the LCD screen which clips to the original rear mirror vibrates a little due to its weight. I will work on a fix.

However for $149-00 it is great value for a wide screen clouour reversing kit.
scubapro

Postby Silver Streak on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 am

Great review guys, and is a definite requirement for any vehicle in any reversing situation, I think. I've a got a fairly steep driveway I need to back out of, so I'm almost blind all the way, except for the side mirrors, till I get to the top. So great investment I reckon.

Cheers

Silver Streak.
Silver Streak

Return to Member Build Ups