Installing a CB

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Installing a CB

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:15 pm

smouch1975 wrote:Hi all, want to bump this one as it is really hard to find.

Couple of questions
1. Can somebody put up a photo of where they went through the fire wall in an MN? Ive already been up the drivers side and through the grommet in the wing route for the spotties, and that aint fun!
2. Can somebody put up a photo of how they connected to the power from the cigarette lighter? Do you have any noise issues from doing this?
3, Does anybody bother doing a SWR check anymore, or are pre-tuned cables and antennas the go.

4. Quess what I'm doing this Christmas ;)

On mine it's a bit busy on the right hand side so I went through the big grommet that comes out behind the glovebox. A little difficult but not that hard really.

I've run power direct from the accessory circuit on the fuse box. Nice clean. plentiful supply.

SWR isn't really necessary for UHF. The antennas are pre-tuned and not as finicky as 27MHz.

If I said you intending to instal a CB do I get a prize? :lol: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Installing a CB

Postby chopper on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't skimp on the aerial. But don't get sucked into believing that a big fat fiberglass one is the only option either.
nothing here
chopper

Installing a CB

Postby GadgetMN on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:47 pm

c-dale wrote:Will be doing the same Gadget :( if only I had an idea, my list is long and going to cost a bit I reckon

I found sourcing all of he bits separately and getting it all installed in one hit (2 days) was the best way. Have a pretty good relationship with my auto sparky as I get a fair bit of custom work done through them!

I also got the fibreglass aerials... Main reason was I hate the small thin ones waving back and forth in my line of sight (the one on my father in laws car drives me insane!!!!!) and couldn't beat the price I was offered for the two of them at ARB...

Each aerial has different applications so think about where you'll be using it more often too. Getting a short range one for me was useless as I do more touring
GadgetMN

Installing a CB

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm

5th can you give me more detail and hopefully a picture of how you got power from the accessories circuit in the fuse box?

Did you splice, piggy back or something else.

This is how I want to do it

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-32.300719,115.712586
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:12 pm

smouch1975 wrote:5th can you give me more detail and hopefully a picture of how you got power from the accessories circuit in the fuse box?

Did you splice, piggy back or something else.

This is how I want to do it

No photos, unfortunately. I just poked around the fuse box under the dash until I found the main accessories circuit then spliced and soldered to the supply line. Was fun. :twisted: Even with the lower dash panel removed it was a bit difficult reaching in there with a soldering iron. Ran a wire with an inline fuse to the UHF. Neat, and tidy, permanent result, though.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby coxy47 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Another option is to tap into one of the cigarette lighter lines closer to the socket rather then the accessory circuit at the fuse box. Its a hell of a lot easier as long as you don't intend on running a large load on the 12v socket.
coxy47

Postby sm60089 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 am

I'm currently installing my UHF. I have chosen the small round grommet for the Co-Ax antenna cable and was planning to use the rear of the Cigarette lighter for power.

I am struggling to get to the back of this socket. Any tips on how to get to it without breaking anything?
sm60089

Postby odie602r on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 am

I took off the part of the dash under the steering wheel first (some screws - 2 I think, then clip on tabs - pull directly towards rear of cabin, not up or down), then removed centre dash surround (same clip on tabs - pull directly towards rear of cabin).

Then, it's real easy to get into the wires etc.

You may want to consider running a separate power run in for the UHF to avoid possible electrical interference, then use a relay triggered by the cigarette lighter. From what I'd read before doing min, this was considered a better option.

For only a few $$ more, and not much more time, it's probably worth it
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cornjak on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:04 pm

I ran power straight to battery and passed it through major grommet where all electrical leads come into cab by battery as someone had already made a slit in the rubber. The only other difference was i have an aerial mounted to the bullbar so I ran the coax up the front quarter panel and through the a pillar where the power leads for the mirrors come out. I'm hoping it will work out fine but this seemed easier as the plugs were already soldered onto coax and i didnt want to redo them.
cornjak

UHF Install

Postby kennyj on Tue May 10, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any success in picking up an under the bonnet accessory wire for a UHF.

I have bough a Simoco UHF.

thanks In advance
kennyj

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Kennyj, moved your post into the correct thread.

Read through this thread. It should have the answers you want.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 11, 2016 8:39 am

Another handy gimmick for tapping a power source is a piggy-back fuse holder that plugs into a fuse socket and provides a socket for the original fuse as well as proving a second fused tail to hook up to an accessory such as a CB.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rokster on Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 am

Not that I'm an auto-sparky.. nor do I profess to know what I'm talking about.. but.. many of the wires behind the dash are designed to only carry the load they're purposed for.. the cigarette lighter being one that's actually got a ridiculously thin wire leading to it. It's not that difficult to poke a hole through the major grommet boot behind the glove-box, and have a separate fuse-box behind it, to power all the additional toys you want powered. This way everything stays neat, and you know the wire is up for the task.
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 pm

I agree ^^^ except the bit about not knowing what you're talking about.

That said, there are some unused positions in the internal relay box (next to the fuses). If you know what you're doing, it is possible to tap into some of those for small devices given there are no other loads on them. But you need to look up what they are and how they're fused etc before going there. Depending on the car you may even find a decent output designed to power an amplifier.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups