Installing a CB

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Installing a CB

Postby gregned on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Its best practice to protect the cable at both ends
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:10 pm

gregned wrote:Its best practice to protect the cable at both ends

Don't know were you got that from but multiple fuses cause confusion. :?
Been an electrician for 25 years and you always place a fuse at the power supply only. Ever seen a vehicle with fuses at the supply and load. Fuse is to protect cable not load. A short circuit across an unfused cable can cause a fire
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:01 pm

what im saying is if you run 100 amp cable to the back and are powering say fridge lights /whatever wouldnt you put 100 amp fuse at the batt end and then individually fuse the others ?
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 pm

100A fuse protects the supply cable from the battery. Smaller fuses protect the cables to the individual appliances. You don't take the same size cable from the battery to the lights but reduce it and you reduce the size of the fuses as well.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Im not trying to get into a debate but there are fuses at both ends.
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:43 am

You're both right. It is usual to protect the major supply cable with a fuse or fusible link that is big enough to cope with the power load of all the appliances (say, 60amp) but then run that to a distribution/fuse box which splits into smaller cables run through fuses each capable of handling the load on each individual (sub) circuit (say, 5 x 10amp). That way a short or power load in excess of design in an individual appliance should blow the fuse only for that sub circuit but other appliances would retain power. Easy to track back too. A short across the main power line would blow the main fuse. The important thing is to fuse at the point where the power line branches, rather than at the appliance itself.

The good thing about the Triton is that there are fused points at the back of the positive battery connector where you can connect and draw fused power (being conscious of load, of course), so there's no need to connect direct to the battery terminal or add another main fuse.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:08 am

NowForThe5th wrote:The good thing about the Triton is that there are fused points at the back of the positive battery connector where you can connect and draw fused power (being conscious of load, of course), so there's no need to connect direct to the battery terminal or add another main fuse.

I looked at doing that on mine and they all seemed to be full. Do you just piggy back on one of them or are some of them actually vacant despite appearing full?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:51 am

Dave, Here's a photo. Yes, I just connected to existing post (in fact, both posts). Only the winch is connected direct to the battery (i.e. unfused) - large red cable runs to the left of the connector. Other cables (with yellow crimp covers) run to a fuse box on firewall (second photo) and to another fuse box in the canopy. From the fuse box on the firewall I then run inside the cab through the large grommet you can see in the bottom of the second photo for power for UHF. Others are for lights and horns which operate through relays next to the fuse box.

Click to view larger picture

Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:12 pm

got it. i thought for a minute you were relying on the fuses on the battery thing but I can see you are still providing your own. That last photo is an idea I think I saw in your shed already - definitely one I'll be borrowing only I bought a longer fuse block and I'm trying to work out a way to fit a cover over it so I can mount a bus bar on there as well.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Having put in my shares worth of accessories over the years, I ALWAYS fuse near the battery. Learn't the hard way, after an engine bay fire left me in whoop whoop land in my old Landie, when a engine wire shorted, caught fire, and fried several secions of wiring looms under the hood. Ended up spending several hours jury rigging new cables (luckily I had pleny of sares, just in case), just to get myself home. Not enjoyable.
More recently, my old man jackknifed his camper, crimped his 50A charge cable, and blew a heap of wirin in his camper. This was AFTER we thought we fused everywhere...except on BOTH ends of the accessory cable between car and trailer ;) That took me a few hours to fix, too. You guessed it...extra fuses.
So, nowadays, everything has a fuse at and/or near the battery. Even wiring to dual batteries, air horns, and anything running from them. More recently, I put in a Projecta battery fused terminal, which took some of the multitudes of fuses away. Bitchin' expensive fuses to replace, tho, and can be hard to get.
Don't want to replace fuses out somewhere? Get auto resetting fuses...under $10 each.
Overkill? Well, beats having your car crap itself in flames.
Cheap, safe and secure, thanks.
Scotty
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:31 pm

ag9111 wrote:
gregned wrote:Its best practice to protect the cable at both ends

Don't know were you got that from but multiple fuses cause confusion. :?
Been an electrician for 25 years and you always place a fuse at the power supply only. Ever seen a vehicle with fuses at the supply and load. Fuse is to protect cable not load. A short circuit across an unfused cable can cause a fire

What about between dual batteries? Say, between your vehicle, and camper?
You should fuse BOTH ends here. Without exception!
I KNOW from experience, replacing the carnage that resulted when we took standard "industry" practice, fused one end, and the second battery fried everything in between when the connecting cable got pinched.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby ag9111 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Two batteries=two power sources. Always fuse any cable leaving a power source

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:23 am

Yup ;)
One question we still haven't solved with dual battery wiring...
You have an auto-resetting fuse on a cable between 2 batteries.
One terminal says "battery"
One terminal says "Access"
Which goes where? :lol:
RockoWallaby

Postby stick on Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

I am new to this site and just want to thank all of you for your advice. Good or not so good. It all helps someone who is no sure. Like Me.
stick

Postby bboughton on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:38 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Dave, Here's a photo. Yes, I just connected to existing post (in fact, both posts). Only the winch is connected direct to the battery (i.e. unfused) - large red cable runs to the left of the connector. Other cables (with yellow crimp covers) run to a fuse box on firewall (second photo) and to another fuse box in the canopy. From the fuse box on the firewall I then run inside the cab through the large grommet you can see in the bottom of the second photo for power for UHF. Others are for lights and horns which operate through relays next to the fuse box.

Good idea but how do you relay to turn power on/off with accessories?
I am going to install 2way and Car kit this week both requiring 12v to turn on/off with accessories. Was thinking easiest would be to piggy back off cig lighter connection but I'm guessing this would be another 'dodgy' installation?
bboughton

Postby Greedy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 pm

It's not an issue to piggyback off the ciggie lighter as long as it's only powering a relay rather than the UHF itself. The relay is connected direct to the battery (fused) and is switched via the power from the ciggie lighter. The UHF will turn on when accessories are selected but source power directly from the relay (battery). I hope this helps. :?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bboughton on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Yes thats just what I needed to know. Thanks.
bboughton

Postby kevin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I've piggy-backed off the cig lighter on every 4WD I've owned ( x 5) and never had a problem. (I date back to the days when everything was hot wired - relays were unheard of ;) )
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby bboughton on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:24 pm

kevin wrote:I've piggy-backed off the cig lighter on every 4WD I've owned ( x 5) and never had a problem. (I date back to the days when everything was hot wired - relays were unheard of ;) )

Thats what my old man said as well. I figure though since I'll be installing, UHF, phone cradle (charging) and phone kit ill run another wire up from battery. Probably something like:

Battery (after fuse) > Relay (power switch from cig) > 4 port Fuse Box > separate in cab equipment
bboughton

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm

hi fellas, I'm trying to install my very first cb radio. I would like to ask for your opinion to where it would be better to fit the antenna, at the bullbar, or will it be better to go for a mounting bracket at the rollbar for higher positioning?
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm

For performance, mounting on the top of the sports bar, in the centre, would be the best. Downside is that it would add height so no more underground car parks or low garages unless you can remove the antenna. Mounting on the bullbar is fine, especially if you get a ground independent antenna. If you mount on the bullbar, the tip of your antenna should be higher than the roof. Any lower and you will compromise performance.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Higher the better mate, The roll bar would be far better option for reception and transmission. But the height may be a factor.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 61rth on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

When I installed my UHF I just piddy backed straight from the accessory wiring in the centre console. This accessory outlet is on it's own "circuit" so to speak with a 10amp fuse, My UHF only draws 3 amp so the wiring here is sufficient to run the UHF from. I only use this outlet for charging my phone otherwise.

All other wiring from the battery is fused at the battery and runs out to other fuse blocks for the other accessories.

Another point to consider is all your wiring should be run in flexible conduit for added protection, especially in the engine bay and under the vehicle, if this isn't done, then you will be definately relying on your fuses.
Last edited by 61rth on Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Thankyou very much to all for your advices, when i get the job done, I'll post some pics to let u know how it went... thankyou guys! :D
Tom_Dunpeal

Postby Tom_Dunpeal on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi guys, I'm at the middle of my cb installatation, figuring some things, i'm wondering, do you guys know of a way to bring the antenna cable from the wagon to the front of the cab through the back of the cab?
i haven't been able to find the spot our friend described in the beginning of the post?? :?:
Tom_Dunpeal

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups