Installing a CB

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Installing a CB

Postby Auslander on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:43 am

I've noticed many times people asking about installation of or what CB to buy for their Tritons. I know many have no problem doing this and to be frank, it's not a very hard job to do. But there are a few basics that some may not be aware of.

What CB type you buy effects how and where you can mount it. For example a remote head CB or a non remote head CB. I chose a remote head CB, as it gives the best options for placement and you can hide the body easily.

Also what vehicle you have also determines greatly where you can mount a CB. Most on this site have the dual cab variety, which makes placement of an Antennae a bit trickier. But all types of Tritons have the same issue when it comes to power.

I know alot of people just use the ciggy lighter plug as a power source for their CB's. Makes for an easier no pain install sure. But isn't a great option, especially if you have a high output power(greater output power like 15+ watts) CB like an Icom, which are becoming common these days.

It may also effect your CB via engine noise or static may enter the front end of the radio. Even if you hear everything fine it may sound like a heap of sh!t to the wider world.

I am using here a Uniden 015sx remote head. 1-40 channels UHF and has an inbuilt scanner that covers from 450mhz to 512mhz.

click all pics for a larger view.

Click to view larger picture

I'll be installing this into a MN GLX single cab 1 tonner, so alot easier than the dual cabs in only 1 regard. The antennae install. The rest is the same or close to it. I'll be sticking the remote head of the CB into here.

I was going to install it in the spot below the ashtray. Which would be the spot i imagine alot of dual cab people would fit theirs.

Before we get started, we need to find power. So after a fair bit of friggin around i found bugger all spots to get through the firewall of this vehicle, and so used the tried and true, but not really the best option of getting to the battery.
Through the front guard and thru the door. I HATE drilling holes in my cars, specially new ones i just bought, so i personally will do just about anything to get around drilling into a vehicle. so i went this way.

I was a bit concerned with water egress, but after so long, we actually had a fair bit of rain in the SE QLD area, just after i installed this radio and not a drop came into the cab at all. It's surprisingly sealed very well. Those that wish, can use the huge electrical grommet that enters the firewall just behind the glovebox, or just go crazy and drill a small hole thru the firewall. But the idea is to have the shortest length of cable to the battery. So nearer is better.

Next post is antennae and power connected.
Auslander

Re: Installing a CB

Postby Auslander on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 am

Now the antennae install varies greatly of course, on what vehicle type you have. On the 1 tonner tray back variety it's a pretty simple affair. They even provide a grommet for just such an occasion.

Outside view

inside view

The CB coax will be an easy issue in my case. I assume the dual cabs also have grommets that lead from the cab. Or if you go the bullbar install direction, you'll need to get thru that pesky firewall. With coaxial cable, specially for UHF(477mhz) band CB, the shorter the run the better. UHF by it's very nature is "losy". Meaning it will dissipate power alot more than say HF (27mhz) CB alot more, so keep the coax run short as possible.

I'll be sticking my antennae mount here.

You may even be able to see where i scratched the markings for the mount onto the aluminium. the coax will go from the grommet to this spot via that angle iron strut you can see.

OK, back to tidying up that power cable we got to the battery earlier. All CB's come with a power cord, but rarely are they long enough for a proper vehicle install. All i did to get round this was buy some power cord from Dick Smiths, cut off some of the supplied power cord from the CB and joined them like this.

A bit of solder and electrical tape and you're laughing. Yeah i know a bit bodgey, but it's been atleast 20 odd years since i have done this and it sure shows. Plus on the day it was 38c outside and in that bloody shed it was atleast 45c. Had sweat all over the joint, thank god for beer!

Back at the battery end of things, i just crimped on a few lugs and connect them to the battery.

Now we are moving, once you get the basics done the rest goes pretty quick. Back at the antennae mount end, i drilled 3 holes for my trusty stainless mount i've had for about 30 years on various utes, soldered the coax to the nice new antennae plug and PRESTO.

To keep things tidy i used a length of aluminium dowel threaded the coax thru that, stuck the dowel to the tray with some silicon and bingo!

OK the radio end, to connect all the bits. I didn't have a heap of option on where to mount the radio itself, so i used the tried and true fall back method, keeping in mind i refuse to drill holes in my cars. so i stuck the radio unit here

Yep, under the passenger seat.

Cable ties are your friend. I used the radio mount that comes with your radio and just simply cable tied that to the springs under the seat. AN old useful method. You will note in this pick it has ALL the various cabled connected, Power, Antennae, speaker and remote head data cable.

Speaking of speaker, this is where i always stick my CB radio speakers for car use.

Keep in mind the seat cover will be over this and wont look as dodgy as this. The remote head fitted PERFECTLY into the spot i wanted on the dash. I mean tight and secure, no rattles or anything. more luck than good management.

A quick test to see if it works.

Job Done!
Auslander

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 am

if you want to get thru the firewall, undo the cable gland on the passenger side (2xM6 screws from memory) and run a coat hanger thru along side the wiring (the gland seals in 2 layers)- tape your wiring to the coat hanger and pull it back thru- comes up spot on ;)
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Auslander on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:02 pm

cyberhonky wrote:if you want to get thru the firewall, undo the cable gland on the passenger side (2xM6 screws from memory) and run a coat hanger thru along side the wiring (the gland seals in 2 layers)- tape your wiring to the coat hanger and pull it back thru- comes up spot on ;)

Hmmm sounds like a winner cyber, i'll sus that. Is it easy to get to via the cab? I have to admit that door power cable thing i did is bit bodgy. But i rarely have passengers and as long as i get in via the drivers door i wont see it too often :lol:

Tex wrote:Nice write up Auslander 8-)

Thanks Tex.
Auslander

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Auslander wrote:Is it easy to get to via the cab?

Yep. Just undo the screws that hold the panel in under the glove box and it's high up on the left side looking towards the front of the car
Last edited by Greedy on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Greedy wrote:Yep. Just undo the screws that hold the panel in under the glove box and it's high up on the left side looking towards the front of the car

^^this- from memory i think you can just pop the glovebox out as well and find the wiring- then drop it down to the carpet

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby King Triton on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Nice write up Auslander

There is also an unused rubber grommet on the firewal just to the drivers side of the centre console.
I used this for my driving lights and CB.

I would reccomend you take the power from the Accessories so you dont risk the event of a flat battery.
You can do this via the Battery as Auslander has done and use a relay that is switch from a power source that link to the accessories.
Or you can do what others have and link into the 12v socket in the centre console (next to hand brake) and leave the inline fuse at this end so it is easily accessed. all you need is a screw driver to flip off the cover.
King Triton

Postby ag9111 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 am

King Triton wrote:I would reccomend you take the power from the Accessories so you dont risk the event of a flat battery.
You can do this via the Battery as Auslander has done and use a relay that is switch from a power source that link to the accessories.

I always run my CB's direct from the battery as they can be your best friend in an emergency, what if your hurt and the kids/missus cant find the keys etc :shock:
Thats why i always run mine direct from the battery.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 am

Check out my shed. You will see a photo of where I came in through the firewall with coax and power. With your head under the hood, it is in the top left hand corner of the engine bay. It comes out in the cab above the accelerator.
MN GLXR

Postby Remcio on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:18 am

Hi there,
I have placed a CB into the African Outback roof console. The advantages are:
- no wires visible at all
- additional pocket on the roof (a lot of place - you can put i.e. all your maps or documents)
- much better than std LED interior light
disadvantage:
- you can not have roof console while roof window is present in your ute..

My original CB was TTI 880 now it is very compact and really great performing Albrecht AE6690 - both with blue screens so looks like "original" Mitsu style bla bla bla...

Here is the link with the pictures from assembly
http://www.trasek.com.pl/realizacje26.html
Here are two pictures of my L200 interior (click to see all):
Remcio

Postby cyberhonky on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Remcio wrote:Hi there,
I have placed a CB into the African Outback roof console. The advantages are:
- no wires visible at all
- additional pocket on the roof (a lot of place - you can put i.e. all your maps or documents)
- much better than std LED interior light
disadvantage:
- you can not have roof console while roof window is present in your ute..

My original CB was TTI 880 now it is very compact and really great performing Albrecht AE6690 - both with blue screens so looks like "original" Mitsu style bla bla bla...

Here is the link with the pictures from assembly
http://www.trasek.com.pl/realizacje26.html
Here are two pictures of my L200 interior (click to see all):

looks good- just so you know, i think someone put your steering wheel on the wrong side ;) :D

cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Remcio on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 pm

cyberhonky wrote:looks good- just so you know, i think someone put your steering wheel on the wrong side ;) :D

I thought the same way about yours (steering wheel) ;)
Remcio

Postby daryn on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Auslander,

scored a Uniden same as yours today for nix, so I will be following your post to some degree, thanks for putting up, well done.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 am

Remcio wrote:
cyberhonky wrote:looks good- just so you know, i think someone put your steering wheel on the wrong side ;) :D

I thought the same way about yours (steering wheel) ;)

Someone Photoshop that around so he's driving on the right side.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Auslander on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 am

daryn wrote:Auslander,

scored a Uniden same as yours today for nix, so I will be following your post to some degree, thanks for putting up, well done.

Yep no worries Daryn. Yeah i expect very few on Newtriton will have the cab chassis model. But the basics are still the same.

BTW, On my way to the farm last weekend (27-28) i hit a bloody roo, and busted all the plastic front and gave the intercooler a nice ding. Just outside Glen Innes. Was lucky that was all. 2am and of course no mobile phone reception, so was lucky i could drive away. Wasn't happy.
Auslander

Postby subi_man on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 am

Time for a bullbar Auslander? Maybe you can score one via the insurance repair as it's often cheaper than replacing stock bumpers bars at spare-parts prices!
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby nuklz on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:55 pm

very detailed instructions on a very dodgy installation. hope it doesnt go wrong for you.
nuklz

Postby daryn on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:19 pm

nuklz wrote:very detailed instructions on a very dodgy installation. hope it doesnt go wrong for you.

How is it dodgy nuklz, your more than welcome to share information if you like just like auslander has or is this just a dodgy comment with no substance. :?:
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby patto on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

daryn wrote:
nuklz wrote:very detailed instructions on a very dodgy installation. hope it doesnt go wrong for you.

How is it dodgy nuklz, your more than welcome to share information if you like just like auslander has or is this just a dodgy comment with no substance. :?:

watch our Darryn!!!! nuklz might put his nuklz to use!!!!! :D :D :D
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby gregned on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:53 pm

I think he might be draging his nuklz
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby nuklz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 pm

To run the power cable up from the floor through the passenger side door is hands down the dumbest thing i have ever seen. if it ever shorts you are F#^KED. why not run it under the cab and use the same grommett as the aerial passes through. 12Vdc doesn't interfere with shielded Aerial cable. It would be neater and far safer and there would be no need to remove door trims. It aint rocket science fellas. but then again it might be out of the realms of some people to use logic!!!
nuklz

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

nuklz wrote:To run the power cable up from the floor through the passenger side door is hands down the dumbest thing i have ever seen.

Seen a lot worse, but I must agree, not a good electrical install.

Split ducting should be your friend :D
Last edited by ag9111 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm

One of the great things about this forum is the spirit of help and co-operation that prevails.

While I don't personally agree with the route Auslander has chosen for the power cable (I used the grommet behind the glove box) he has justified his decision and gone to great lengths to provide a detailed and informative article, supported with good clear photos, that is likely to be of help to those who are embarking on this project for the first time. Thanks for your efforts Auslander. I'm sure that some of the other members' suggestions you'll take on board.

Nuklz, I personally agree with your opinion about the routing around the door but comments like this really aren't productive:

nuklz wrote:hands down the dumbest thing i have ever seen

nuklz wrote:It aint rocket science fellas. but then again it might be out of the realms of some people to use logic!!!

If you keep your criticism contructive and offer your opinions in a positive sense you'll draw agreement rather than attack.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby nuklz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Sorry about the comments fellas but I aint real good with words.
The routing of the power cable is a major concern because from what I can gather he is placing all his hope on the fuse being by the cb, not by the battery. if it shorts anywhere before the fuse the results could be fairly ordinary. It would effectively dead short the battery until the cable burnt out taking as much other electronic equipment with it as possible. if this happens and he lost his ute to it im sure the end result is worse than my comments.
nuklz

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm

nuklz wrote:The routing of the power cable is a major concern because from what I can gather he is placing all his hope on the fuse being by the cb, not by the battery.

I'm an electrical supervisor for a major electrical company and I missed that nuklz. You are correct.

Auslander, it might be an idea to move your fuse to the battery in case you have an issue like your passenger door cutting the cable.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Member Build Ups