Johnos' Triton build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Johnos' Triton build up

Postby fisky50 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Johno,
Thanks for that mate and this will count towards my first project/mod so hopefully all goes well and it leads to bigger and better mods. That said I dont see myself installing a snorkel anytime soon! :o
fisky50

Postby Damo on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Nice mods mate, and great write ups.

I'm only in the 'research' stage of mods before I get my new GLX-R early in the new year, but I'm the sort of guy that researches the shit out of things before making the purchase. I've played the modding game for a long time on cars and bikes, and don't like to take shortcuts.

Reading all these member build ups is going to make me broke hahahah...
Damo

Postby johno on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Damo wrote:Nice mods mate, and great write ups.

Thanks for that Damo,It's great being able to look at some of the projects on this site.
That's the best thing that you can do....think about it first...then have a beer and think about it again!!

There's plenty of mods you can do to your Triton, one of the best things to do is to ask questions, there are plenty of guys and girls that have "been there done that" and won't mind telling you about how they did it.

Best of luck with the new Triton :)
Cheers Johno
PS don't forget the photos 8-)
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby johno on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Started the frame for the tri-trailer (November 2011)

Well, after a lot of thinking and measuring I started making the frame up for the tri-trailer.
I had to consider the trailer height, axle width and a few things that I was going to add onto the trailer (tool box, jockey wheel, spare tire)
But no amount of measuring was going to give me the exact answer; I just had to make a start on it.

I decided to make it out of 75mmx50mm square section, so after moving the tub into the shed and turning it upside down, I could start placing the rails on and then weld in the cross members.

When all these were tacked into position I could add the springs and axle and get a good idea of the actual height and drill the rails for the tub mounts.

Click to view larger picture

The draw bar was next, I decided to go with a large tool box on the front (to help with a bit of counter weight) I bought one off ebay that was just the right size and a good shape for the front of the tub.

(December 2011) …..While I was waiting for the box to turn up the frame was sanded and painted. I was going to spray the frame, but after talking to the guys at the paint shop, they suggested using a paint that could be brushed on.
I used a paint that had a hammer tone finish; it was thick to brush on but came up well when it was dry.

When the box arrived it wasn’t exactly the size it was suppose to be, instead of 1450mm long it was 1500mm, the 50mm was just too much to fit where I wanted it to go.
A bit more brain storming (my misses was starting to think that I was going crazy, sitting in the hot sun just staring at the front of the trailer!!)
It was going to work out ok, but now I had to modify the box by cutting out the rear corners to allow it to go back far enough.
Not a big job, but fiddly cutting out the right shape and just the right amount.

The tub has been fitted,the lid, lights wired up the flares and the mud flaps fitted.

I made up a frame to mount the box on and incorporated the spare tire lifter. It was a bit of a fiddle getting the lifter in the right spot and still being able to get to the tire lifter.

A quick coat of paint…. Then mount the box…all done!! (the handle is removed when not in use)

While I was waiting for parts (and thinking) I made up a “tailgate kitchen box” for the back, with a few draws in it and a laminated table top for cooking.

Just got to finish off the draw handles…when I can find the ones that I want.

There are just a few small things still to be done, and then it’s off for a rego check.

Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby steve1961 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Looks brilliant Johno ... tool box came up well too
steve1961

Postby wurzil67 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:07 am

Great reading Johno I may have to use that spare tyre mount idea on mine. Great work :D
wurzil67

Postby johno on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 am

thanks for the comments guys :)
steve1961 wrote:Looks brilliant Johno ... tool box came up well too

I was pleased with the end result, I didn't loose any space at all.

wurzil67 wrote:Great reading Johno I may have to use that spare tyre mount idea on mine. Great work :D

Go for it ;) I went to the wreckers and got a tire winch for $30,(4 runner) the winders don't come with it (another $30) so i just made one to suit.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Wallace on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 am

Nice job, but we have come to expect that from you :D :D
You are going to have to put up an extra shed on the block to accomodate all the finished projects.
Again well done ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby johno on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks Mark, it was a good project, it's no pro job but I'm happy with the end result.
Now, what to do next???
I was just removing the draws from the back of the Triton before it goes in for a fix....I might scrap them and start again with a different design :roll:
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby VALERIO on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Really nice job Johno! :D
VALERIO

Postby jop on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Looking good Johno - needs 33"s now mate 8-)
jop

Postby johno on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks guys, it was a good project to amuse myself with. :)
Still got a bit more to go on it but they are just cosmetic things, can't wait to give it a trial run as a camper.
We'll be heading off to Bathurst after the silly season to give it a go down the bridal track for a few days.

I was a bit worried about getting it through rego here in NSW, the guy when he did the blue slip took one look at it and said "it looks strong enough, lets fill out the paper work"..."i take it that all the light work??" and that was it!!

jop wrote:Looking good Johno - needs 33"s now mate 8-)

I'm still looking for some wheels the same as whats on the Triton, but still haven't found any :(
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby DrewXT on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 pm

awesome looking truck mate - what brand are the locks on the drawers? been googling to see if I can find them online, but failing...
DrewXT

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 pm

DrewXT wrote:awesome looking truck mate - what brand are the locks on the drawers? been googling to see if I can find them online, but failing...

Did you try Ovesco mate? They have a lot of that sort of gear http://www.ovesco.com.au/index.php?catname=Hardware&cat=1&sub=2&subname=Locks%20and%20Latches
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby DrewXT on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Sweet, thanks for the link :-)
DrewXT

Postby useless offroader on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 am

G'day Johno, just wondering if you've done a lift or still just running the front spacer, has the spacer given you any dramas? Cheers mick
useless offroader

Postby johno on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Mick, Yep they are still in there! and no they haven't given me any troubles.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby davebo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 pm

looks the goods mate! a very motivating build!

i'm looking at getting the 285/75 BFG KM2's as well, i've got the 2' ultimate kit in there, so hopefully no scrubbing for me.. but i'll keep those spacers in mind if i find any issues. :)

got any feedback on the tires? longevity? road noice etc?

Cheers
Dave
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nealh82 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Love the look of that tri-trailer Johno, you wouldn't have the measurements for the frame sitting around anywhere would you?

I've got an MN tub sitting around slowly filling with leaves and wouldn't mind turning it into a camper. The old bloke next door needs a project to keep himself busy now that he's retired!

Did the drawbar length and weight work out with the toolbox on the front?

Cheers

Neal
nealh82

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 pm

nealh82 wrote:Love the look of that tri-trailer Johno, you wouldn't have the measurements for the frame sitting around anywhere would you?

I've got an MN tub sitting around slowly filling with leaves and wouldn't mind turning it into a camper. The old bloke next door needs a project to keep himself busy now that he's retired!

Cheers

Neal

Hey mate here's another thread on that topic for you to have a look at:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4080&p=60807&hilit=trailer#p60807

There's a couple of others but without any decent photos.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby nealh82 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks CD,

big red button time :oops:
nealh82

Postby johno on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm

davebo wrote:looks the goods mate! a very motivating build!
i'm looking at getting the 285/75 BFG KM2's as well, i've got the 2' ultimate kit in there, so hopefully no scrubbing for me.. but i'll keep those spacers in mind if i find any issues. :)
got any feedback on the tires? longevity? road noice etc? Cheers Dave

Thanks for the comments Dave, I've had some fun doing bits with the triton 8-)
The BFG's have been good, they are lasting very well, I've got used to them now but they did seem "heavy" at first.
There is a bit of road noise, the neighbours have mentioned that they know when I'm coming home, they say that the tyres are noisy.....maybe I just don't hear them over the radio :roll:
Just remember if you do get them they will throw your speedo out and the trip metre, mine is out by 8 km when checked with my GPS.

nealh82 wrote:Love the look of that tri-trailer Johno, you wouldn't have the measurements for the frame sitting around anywhere would you?
Cheers Neal

G'day Neal....it sound like my project...."the old bloke needs a project" :lol:
It was an easy project actually, the hard bit was getting the misses on the other end when I wanted to turn it over in the shed!
I've still got all the build details here on file, sizes, costs, where I got my bits from. I'll dig them out and get them to you.
The tool box worked out well for me in the end. It was an Ebay purchase that ended up being not the right size, so I had to modify the corners a bit, but you can't notice it much.
The draw bar is "ok" but after a bit of towing I would make it just a bit longer, just to balance it a bit better.
It was quite easy to get it all measured out and layed out before I made it, just watch for the marks under the tray!
I'm not 100% sure if they are all the same (someone will know) but mine had a centre mark (arrows) and axle location arrows on it.
I'll get the info to you in a few days, i'm just about to take of up the coast for a week.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby nealh82 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks mate that would be great.

I'll pm you my email.

Thanks,

Neal
nealh82

Postby outlaws-new-triton on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I also wouldn't mind looking at your plan details mate. Got the tub sitting outside and am going to organize steel on Monday hopefully. Planning on having spare tyres and steel toolbox mounted infront of tub as well as a tapered drawbar toolbox infront of steel box. Having a bit of trouble trying to work out axle length to run triton wheels to match ute also
outlaws-new-triton

Postby knotty5170 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Johno-
Get work in all aspects!

I too have Ironman protector bar- Did you have any issue with the beam direction of the fog lights?, my left side is all good, but drivers side spot koalas 10 metres up the tree on other side of road, Truckies hate me when they get within 20 metres of me too, I looked under at all the brackets but cant see any difference in the two or adjustment screws...

HELP.

Knotty.
knotty5170

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups