Johnos' Triton build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Johnos' Triton build up

Postby johno on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Johnos' Triton build up…

The vehicle was bought to replace another Mitsubishi (delica) that I thought I might have troubles getting the parts for if I was on a long trip.
The swap over came after the thought of doing a long trip, from the far south coast of NSW to Western Australia.

After looking at a few Tritons at a local dealer, and not being happy with what was on offer I decided to look at what was on offer in the second hand market.
Of all things I found what I wanted on Ebay and after a few phone calls and lots of photos I set off for Rockhamton.

The Triton had already had a few things added that made the deal a bit sweeter.
I couldn’t resist it!!
Already done was…………
Foam cell shocks
Spot lights (lightforce)
Tub liner
Alpine sound system
Seat covers (neoprene GLX-R)
Reversing camera
Wheels/tires/flairs
Stainless exhaust (snake racing)
Tow bar
Washable air filter (finer)
And quite a few “bling “bits

Click to view larger picture

Low mileage good condition log books (except for a few scratches) serviced the day I picked it up…how could I resist!!

For what I wanted it to do, I would have to add a few things before any big trips.

The first thing that I added was an electric brake controller for towing the caravan.
After a bit of checking I decided on a “prodigy” by Tekonsha.
An easy unit to fit and to use.

The Tow bar was already there all I had to do was get another neck so that I could put the fitting on for the off road “Treg” system.

Reversing lights came next; these would come in handy for unhooking the van at night.
These were 2 LED style consisting of 92 leds each, not much power drainage but nice and bright.

One small thing that annoyed me about the Triton was …..the seats!
A few others have mentioned that they are not happy with the seats in the Triton.
After a long trip I noticed that I was not getting out of the seat real easy (it doesn’t help having artificial bits in your back!!) so I fixed it the easy way by buying 2 air operated lumbar supports.
I installed these under the seat covers and you just pump them up to suit.

Next on the list was a bull bar, this was not an easy choice.
I was not intending for it to be used as something to do some major bush bashing with, but at the same time I wanted it to look nice, be practical and blend in with the rest of the vehicle.
After looking at what everyone else had on their Triton I decided to go with the Ironman Protector after traveling to Canberra to see “now for the fifth’s” on his Triton.
I was able to purchase it locally through my auto one dealer at a good price with no freight costs, which was a big surprise.
After talking to a few of you on this site I decided to have a go at fitting it myself, a saving of $400.
The worst bit was going to be cutting some of the plastics, the grill and the flairs.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
It turned into a 2 day project because I was taking my time and measuring twice before I cut!!
With help from the better half to hold it while I did up the bolts, it was soon fitted and bolted into place.

With the bull bar now in place I noticed that the front end had dropped a bit and I noticed that the tires were now rubbing when I was at full lock!
I purchased a set of 35mm strut spacers from snake racing and this fixed up the tire rubbing.

So for so good!! I was starting to get it looking the way I wanted it to. :D

The next thing was going to be another biggie, a canopy.
It was annoying me having to lock the hard lid all the time and I was going to need a bit more room to store a few things in the tub when I was traveling.
So where to start looking???
I did a lot of research on the site and looked at a lot of “shed sites” to compare what was available and what others had installed.
There seamed to be 3 main types, fiberglass, plastic and steel.
They all have their good points and their bad points, I leaned towards the razorback steel canopy. It was a bit more expensive but for me it was the right choice.

The next dilemma was to fit it myself or to pay someone else to do the job!!
After some consideration I chose the latter. After reading on the site about the fitting dramas that others have had with the razorbacks I thought it would be to my advantage if there turned out to be a problem with the fitting, all I needed to do was return it to the fitters to have it corrected (well I hope that will be the case!!)
I opted for the auto locking for the rear door and for the reflectors to have actual working lights in them.
It took a while to get used to the overall look with the canopy on it, but it now looks like it should be there.

Next was an easy little fix but a luxury. The Triton had already had the radio changed to an alpine unit, but there was nowhere to plug in an Ipod so it was relatively easy to just fit an extra lead into the rear of the radio.
I ran the lead under the centre console and up into the storage hole (out of sight!)

After viewing “ratstriton’s” storage draws in the rear of his Triton, I thought that this was a good idea and thought that I would try and do something the same in the back of mine.
I contacted “rats” and he gave me the details of how he constructed his.
After some research on the net to find out where I could obtain what I needed to do the job, I started to gather the bits, easyjoiners from Wauchope ,draw runners from Hobart, locks from Batemans Bay……
Not much was purchased locally (too expensive or just too hard for them to get!)

When all my goodies arrived, I with my trusty “gofa” (the misses!) set about constructing a set of draws for the rear.
I wanted 2 sliding draws, and a small covered area each side for nic nac’s.
A few days in the shed and it was nearly done, just a few bits of fine tuning left to do.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

What’s a 4wd with out a fridge??? I should have thought about this one before I made the draws!!
Most of the time we are away we tow our caravan (Jayco outback hawk) with us, so we have the fridge in there of coarse.
But, sometimes you need a cold drink when you’re away from the van, so I decided to modify the draws and put in a fridge.
A lot of thought was given to the make, size and model to be installed.

As there is only the 2 of us we were not going to need a large fridge, and I was hoping that I would be able to get one that would not require too much modification to the existing draws that were there already.
I opted for a Waeco CF-32UP fridge/freezer with its own internal battery.
The internal size of 32lt was enough for what we needed, and the external size was just right for sitting inside the existing draws.
A few quick cuts to modify the frame of the draws and it was done.
If the fridge was not with me I could replace the top piece to give me a full floor again.
While I was at it I installed a Waeco universal fast power charge kit (RAPS12R-U) that supplies constant power from the battery or flick a switch and it is only supplied when the ignition is on.(so as not to flatten the battery!)

With the extra bit of weight in the rear, and thinking of the extras that I would be putting in to go away, I needed to lift the rear a bit.
I had my local ARB dealer install a new pair of rear springs with new shackles that can be greased; it would have taken me forever to get them done in the garage.

So to date that's it (2/4/10) just a few more things to do...........

to be continued.............
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Re: Johnos' Triton build up

Postby snowman on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:07 pm

nice write up Johno...... :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks snowman, it was a bit long winded!! :roll:
Something that i have been meaning to do for a while.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby did3.2 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Johno,
The triton looks great, good write up too! 8-)
Cheers.
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby sam on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Well done mate looks like you will have fun touring with the Tri ;)
sam

Postby Hondo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Great looking ute mate.
Can you tell what are the details of the wheels/tyres, I'm about to start my own build up.

Paul
Hondo

Postby Buzzy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I like 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby johno on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Hondo wrote:Can you tell what are the details of the wheels/tyres, Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the comment.
The tire/wheel package are 285/75R 16 BFGoodrich mud terrains on "Cobra black" allied rims. :)
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby mad992 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 pm

very good johnno, you should be proud looks the goods mate , nice effort :!:
mad992

Postby drover on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice looking unit Johno no doubt a lot of thought went into the draws to incorperate the fridge looks good clean clear & neat
drover

Postby johno on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:26 pm

The latest addition…………(4th April 2010)
CB radio, they do have their use, although not used very often, (you never know when you might need it.)

I was considering 2 models in the Uniden range, the UH500SX- RM (remote microphone) din size or the UH015SX remote head unit.

Both had good points the UH500SX- RM was small enough to fit in the space under the radio it the Triton and had the extra benefit of a remote microphone that could be used to control all the functions.
The UH015SX was small enough to place behind the dash (out of sight) and be able to mount the remote face just about anywhere.

I liked the idea of the remote microphone on the UH500SX and being a din size it wouldn’t be too hard to mount it into the space under the radio, so I went for the UH500SX with the remote microphone.

I bought it off Ebay from “radiosource” which is in fact “Prestige Communications” in Perth where I have bought from before, but buying via Ebay was cheaper than buying direct a saving of nearly $70 when combined with the antenna. (RFI CD 900 6.5db)

It arrived very quickly from Prestige Communications and I was ready to tackle the install straight away.
First thing was to remove the centre console so that I could cut an opening…………………..

That’s were it stopped, because the radio (after market alpine unit) had been installed before I got the Triton I didn’t know that the amp and associated wiring was behind there, right were I wanted the cb to go! BUGGER! Now what to do?

The only other spot to put it was under the glove box on the passengers’ side; it was still small enough so as not to get kicked and having the remote microphone with all the controls on it, meant that I could place it within reach of the driver.

The unit comes with 2 microphones one remote the other not and two connection ports to plug in the mic, one front and one rear, plus it came with an extention for the microphone that came in useful.

After deciding where to put it, it was an easy install from there.
I chose to power the CB direct from the battery (no ignition required) via the fire wall rubber grommet just above the glove box.
With assistance from the “gofa”, we were able to pull the power lead and the antenna lead through the rubber grommet (tight fit!!)
The microphone cable was fed behind the console and was placed on the right side of the radio using the hanger supplied.
All in all I’m quite happy with the end result.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Buzzy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:12 pm

2.2L/100............... you must be light on the loud pedal :shock:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby johno on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:08 pm

i was waiting for someone to notice that...nicely spotted ;)
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Triton09 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 am

Great Ride Johno
I like your lumber supports can you please tell me where did you get them I would like to get a pair

Thanks Gabriel
Triton09

Postby johno on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Triton09 wrote:I like your lumber supports can you please tell me where did you get them I would like to get a pair

Hi Gabriel, thanks fro the comment about the Triton.
I originally found them at a supplier, someone else on the site told me about the guy in Sydney (Granville) that puts them in the the NRMA Tritons.
They worked out cheaper to get them off him than from the supplier (by about $30 bucks each :o )
I think mine were $55 each( with the postage)
mine came from .....
A.A. Motor trimming
26 Cowper street
Granville NSW 2142
The guy to speak to is Dennis Marsh (proprietor) Tel; 96374691 Mob 0414 637469

Cheers Johno
johno

Postby gregned on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:51 pm

If anyone wants the bulb and valve for the lumbar support I can supply for $7 per set if you want the rubber bladder it's an aditional $10 but won't have the internal ribs to stop it from balooning out
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby daryn on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Top writeup Johno, one of the best yet :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:00 am

Nice job mate...and good score on the lumbar support - looks nice and flat. The others start off too thickly padded before you even pump them up IMO.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:00 pm

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/ ... 000378.jpg
great job on the tri !!
wonder if you could give me some info on the drawer setup where did you get the easy joiners and tube from? as this is exactly what i want to do for mine
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby johno on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:21 pm

MR T wrote:wonder if you could give me some info on the drawer setup where did you get the easy joiners and tube from?

Thanks for the comments :)
This has to be one of the easiest draw set up that I've ever done....dead easy!!! (thanks to rats Triton again!!)
The joiners that I used came from here http://www.easyjoin.biz/ i actually bought mine via post from
http://www.bennettsteel.com.au/ WAUCHOPE NSW ($2.20 per joiner) (2 ways, 3 ways,4,5 what ever) plus postage I don't have a dealer locally but you might!
The 25mm box section aluminum was from a local steel supplier,($28.00per 6.5mt) you should be able to get that locally.
I met another member the other week (Norto) he had a look at the draw set up and is doing the same thing as well.
If i can help any more just let me know.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby mscoletta on Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 pm

hi johno love the ute can you give the info on the reversing led and where you got them
thanks
stephen
:)
mscoletta

Postby johno on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi all, i haven't updated my list of "additions" for a while, it's still a working project..........

Snorkel ………. April 2010
After a bit of thought was given to which one to buy, I decided to go with the Ironman brand.
My reason for buying Ironman was the price, and availability.

I purchased it through 4WD1.com over the phone and it was dispatched that day from Baulkham Hills and I received it 48hours later…..not bad!!

The cost was $270 that was all inclusive and the replacement radiator overflow was included in the kit.

I wanted to do the install myself, so after acquiring a set of “step drills” and a large hole saw I was ready to attack it.

As others have said before me, if you are not confident, and at ease drilling holes into your pride and joy…………..Pay the $$$$ and get someone else to do it for you!!!

I cleared a spot in the shed and got set up to tackle the job. After jacking it up and removing the wheel, inside guard, and flair I was ready…hesitant but ready!

The kit contained a template that simple lines up on a few points and you just mark the holes and away you go!

*NOTE*…..after talking to a few of the guys on this site I have found that the template is NOT accurate and should be adjusted manually before you drill…………..

The first hole is the worst, and the hardest but after that it gets easy!
The installation was quite easy; the hardest hole to drill was the one on the inside of the engine bay through the side, the rest was just step by step to finish the job.
The new inlet pipe goes through where the radiator over flow bottle used to be, so the kit comes with a stainless steel replacement bottle that simply bolts to the frame.

As I noted before, the template was not accurate and when it came to replace the flare I found out the hard way that it was all about 5mm too low. This meant that I would need to cut out a small bit of the flair to get it to fit.
Not a big job but fiddly, just a bit at a time.

Then I just had to replace the inner guard and replace the wheel……………job done!

The “Joey” Armrest………… May 2010 viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4845
This was a nice easy mod. Firstly thanks to Joe 1234 for the group buy.
This one only required 2 holes to be drilled, and then insert the screws…job done!

Also Air horns in May 2010
Another small modification was the replacement of the original horns with a Stebal Nauilus 139dB Compact car air horn.
Again a simple modification, the unit comes with a relay, you can either wire it in via a switch so that you can alternate between the original horn and the air horn or remove the wiring from the original horn and just use it.
At 139dB it is very loud, and has come in useful a few times.

Speed corrector …………July 2010

After reading “Snooozy” (Ian) write up on his Inaccurate Speedo Reading Fix, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4383&p=66006&hilit=speedo#p66006
I thought this is what I need to get my speedo to read a bit better.

Ever since I have had the car, the speed o has been out by 8 kph due to the larger tyre size.

I ordered a kit (KC5435) from my local Jaycar agent for $49.95 plus the plastic box to house it in $6.95, 2 weeks later I was reading the “how to do” instructions on putting it together.

At this stage it took another few weeks before I attempted it, in all I think it took me an hour and a half to solder it all together.
Then it was time to pull the Triton apart and hook up the speed controller.
Following Ian’s how to guide, it was all done in 20min, and then it was just a case of up and down the street a few times to tune it in.
Now when compared to my GPS it is exactly the same.

Ipod ………..July 2010

Recently I asked if anyone in the club would be able to educate a fossil on which type of Ipod to buy for the triton. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5422
With thanks to all who replied I have finally got one.

I wanted to have a heap of my own music with me when I’m on longer trips, I’m not fond of a lot of the music on the radio and changing the CD’s all the time was starting to annoy me, (and the co pilot!!)
Plus playing one CD you have to put up with tunes that you don’t like.

So, that’s why I thought an Ipod would be just the thing for me.
I looked around at the different sizes (memory) that were available and decided on a classic with 120GB of memory.
The Triton has an after market stereo in it (Alpine) and the Ipod would just plug into the back of it.
I purchased the appropriate cable and ran the cable under the centre console and up into storage area under the armrest.

When the Ipod is plugged in all the Ipod functions are up on the screen on the stereo, no need to use the controls on the Ipod.

I sat at the computer for a few hours (had to learn how to run the Apple program first!) and down loaded my favorite music onto it. So far I have 1400 songs, 50 photos, all my addresses and contact phone numbers from my address book, and that takes up a small fraction of the 120GB memory.

Very happy………………………………… :D

to be continued....Click to view larger picture :roll:
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Wallace on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Job well done Johno..........gotta be :D :D :D :D with that.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby mad992 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm

mate looks good, like the piccy with drill and holesaw, man could have done some damage if the centre drill snapped :shock:
mad992

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Once again another great write up mate! 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups