Johnos' Triton build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Johnos' Triton build up

Postby johno on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks mate, just hope it might be of some help to someone in the future :)
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby johno on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Wallace wrote:Job well done Johno..........gotta be :D :D :D :D with that.

Thank you Mr Wallace, I like to have a go at doing mods to the Triton..

mad992 wrote:mate looks good, like the piccy with drill and holesaw, man could have done some damage if the centre drill snapped :shock:

Thanks Mad, One of those jobs where you definitely don't want to have a beer to settle the nerves before you start!!
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby Wallace on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Thank you Mr Wallace,

No " Mr " here Johno, there is no way I wear a suit.........BTW love your work, and isn't .....it satisfying to know that you have done it yourself 8-)
BTW will have to pick your brains shortly bout the drawer slides......from Tassie by chance??

Keep up the good work..
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby johno on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Wallace wrote:BTW will have to pick your brains shortly bout the drawer slides......from Tassie by chance??

Yep, from Tassie!!
It sounds like this might be part of the new project ???? :roll:
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Joe on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Great write up johno :D

It is scary drilling the holes in your guard and it's a weird sort of feeling standing back and looking at all them holes without the snorkel on, thinkin OMG, what have I done. Very satisfying though when it's all done by your own hands :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Snooozy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 pm

johno wrote:
Speed corrector …………July 2010

After reading “Snooozy” (Ian) write up on his Inaccurate Speedo Reading Fix, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4383&p=66006&hilit=speedo#p66006
I thought this is what I need to get my speedo to read a bit better.

Then it was time to pull the Triton apart and hook up the speed controller.
Following Ian’s how to guide, it was all done in 20min, and then it was just a case of up and down the street a few times to tune it in.

Glad I was able to help johno. ;) It took me a damn site longer than 20 min to install mine :o

The advantage of having such a good forum to get information from shows when someone does a writeup like yours.

I have no problem finding the $50 for platinum membership each year when the time savings are worth so much more, just by following the hints & tips of those that have been there & done that.

Love the drawer setup in yours, don't want to build some more do you? ( Group Buy :lol: )

Keep up the good work, I might even tackle my snorkel job myself when I get the $ together after seeing your post

cheers
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 am

Snooozy wrote:Glad I was able to help johno. ;) It took me a damn site longer than 20 min to install mine :o
The advantage of having such a good forum to get information from shows when someone does a writeup like yours.

Thanks for that reply Snooozy,I have to agree with you about the information on this site, we all share the same interests with our Triton.
I can't see the sense in re-inventing the wheel, if it's been done before and it works, and the person is willing to share their experience, then that helps a lot if you're going to give a project a go yourself.

Considering the cost to have things done by a professional be it an installer or a manufacturer and hearing of some of the results,( As in this topic.. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5991&p=97456#p97456) it makes sense to me to give it a go yourself.
Some members have great skills in certain areas and that's great when they can pass on info to help others.

If you ever find yourself up this way, call in we can talk "Triton" over a few beers and a BBQ :)
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby johno on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Just a bit of an update on the Triton, nothing major, just a few little bits have been added over the last few months.

Valve caps Sept 2010

I’ve even got the misses doing mods to the triton now…………..
She did this one all by herself……….
Click to view larger picture
Four times!!!

Fumoto oil drain valve October 2010

This was something to make the job of changing the engine oil a bit easier.
The Fumoto oil drain valve (part # F106N) was very easy to install, I just had to wait until my next oil change was due...
Thanks to Subi man (Andrew) for organizing a group buy for this one, a real easy bit to fit.

Roof racks October 2010
Not much of an addition, but it was a necessary addition for now.
Recently I was given a RV3 oz-tent, and for those of you that have not seen them they are long, very long!
It will fit inside the canopy if I drop down the back window and open the canopies inside window, but it creates a lot of wind noise and if it rains……
So I had to get the roof racks.
I decided on a set of Rhino Sportz racks ($269.00 ebay delivered) these will only be on the triton when I need them.
I was going to get a set to fit in the rails on the roof, but I would have had to have the rails fitted first my local ARB quoted me $300+ for the rails $340 for the racks and a day to fit them.

As I don’t particularly like the look of roof racks I figured I’d save a few dollars and opt for the easy way out, (and the cheaper way!!) And just put them on when they are needed.

I would never have thought there would be 35 parts (in the box) to a set of roof racks!!
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

MN triton tub (for a tri-trailer) October 2010
This one is not actually a mod to the Triton but an accessory (when it’s finished!)
I have been thinking about a tri-trailer for a while, but every time I see a tub come up for sale it’s in another state and a long way from me.
But, thanks to a member I was able to get an MN tub the same colour as mine, still in another state but at least this one was only Canberra.
So with thanks to Mr. Wallis I am now the owner of a triton tub, complete with lights and flairs.
Now to start collecting the bits to build it!!

Bash plates October 2010
After reading about the near misses that some of you have had off road with the very thin standard bash plates, I thought it was time to invest in some “heavy duty ones”
I went for a set of “baysies bash plates” they certainly are heavy duty compared to the original ones.
After talking to baysie about them and sending him some dollars, it only took a few days and they were on my door step.
The set I got were some of the newer ones that are now fully dip galvanized, so they look all nice and shiny, but I done know how long they will stay like that.

Fitting them was not too hard; baysie suggested that the holes might need to be opened out a bit with a file to get a good fit; I did need to open up the holes quite a bit in the end, this could have been due to the galvanizing, but no big drama.
It should have been a quick fitting, I was planning to do an oil change, fit the new Fumoto oil drain valve and the new bash plates all in a morning.
It didn’t quite work out that easy, due to my local Mitsi agent stripping the bolts and the nuts that hold the plates on, (after a service!) it took a bit longer to get the stripped bolts out and to replace the nut.(I was wondering where that rattle was coming from.)
It turned into an all day job! But it was good to get it done.

4 rims with tyres + MN hard lid October 2010 (Tri-trailer project)
I’m starting to collect a few things for the Tri- trailer project.
I was lucky enough to score a set of 4 rims with tyres and a Tuff lid (hard lid) of a MN Triton on eBay.
They were both at the same place (in Inverlock Victoria) so that made it worth while going all that way to pick them up.(a long drive for one day)
I won them both with 1 bid each, the rims and tyres I got for $100, and the tuff lid I got for $200.

The tyres (Bridgestone Duelers) have been used for 1600kms before he changed them for muddies, and the Tuff lid (silver) got removed to make way for a chrome rail and lid off a ML. (then he found out that the ML lid doesn’t fit a MN tub)

While I was in the area I called into “Spinny Things” Packenham (on ebay) about an hour up the road to get all the other bits I would need for the trailer project.
I though I was lost at first but in a big shed in his back yard was all the bits for trailers, a one stop shop!!

40mm sq solid steel axle (1350kg)/6 stud hubs/bearings/dust caps/7 leave slipper springs/U bolts/fish plate/bolts/spring hangers/zinc plated trailer coupling/coupling base plate/reflectors/7 pin trailer plug/10m of 7 strand cable……= $330.00
Even though it was an 18hour trip it was a very satisfying days shopping!!

Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Buzzy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Nice wright up Johno
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:39 pm

your a good bloke johnno
oh and thats a good write up mate 8-)
mad992

Postby wurzil67 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Nice one Johnno Love watching trailer builds. Keep up the good work. :D
wurzil67

Postby headshok on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 am

hi there!!

Sweet ride man!

Nice snorkle install. I cant bear to see a hole being drilled into the side of my truck :(

Anyway, a quick question, where can I buy those add on flares?

reason is that, I have a set of rims which i like a lot, but the off set is too much and about 2" of my wheel stick out, making this illegal on the roads here.

If i add those " add on flares", it'll solve my problem.

Thanks in advance mate!

CheerS!
headshok

Postby johno on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 am

Hi headshok, thanks for the comments :)
I have to agree with you about drilling holes in the Triton for the snorkel, it was only the first one the hurt :roll:
After that i was committed to do the rest... :)

In regards to the flairs, the ones i used are "Bushranger Flexy Flares" they come in a kit that consists of enough rubber flair to cut and do 2 or 4 wheels (depending on the pack size.)
Most of the 4x4 accessories places stock them, not hard to fit, just fiddly (give them a go yourself first) or your local arb or equivalent would fit them for you.
http://www.bushranger.com.au/flexy_flares.php
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby johno on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:19 am

Tex wrote:I think clark rubber has them as well. Not Bushranger brand though.

I looked at the clark rubber ones and they don't seem to be as "hard" they seem to flop a bit, (softer rubber) can't remember if they have the added wire on the outer edge or not ?
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby headshok on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:08 pm

heya!

Thanks for the help!

I'm not from Australia, but i just found a local shop which carries it!

Thanks for the help mate!

Cheers!
headshok

Postby ceves on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 am

Hi all,
Am trying to contact Baysie (Baysie79) to get a set of bash plates but I have 'emailed' him a couple of times now with no response. Saw in this post Johnno got his in October? Was that before he moved?

Otherwise, my other questions is, Baysie's are 4mm right? How do they compare to 3mm from TJM. I might end up having to go that way if I don't hear from Baysie soon?
ceves

Postby johno on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 pm

ceves wrote:Am trying to contact Baysie (Baysie79) to get a set of bash plates but I have 'emailed' him a couple of times

Have you emailed him or sent him a PM???
He will respond to you if you send him a PM.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby har05l on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Hey johno, have you started on the tri build yet? Very interested 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm

har05l wrote:Hey johno, have you started on the tri build yet? Very interested 8-)

Sort of....I've cut the bar off the front so that i could fit the lid and the lifters.
At this stage I'm still finalizing the actual design and measurements.Just about to start on the frame.
...to be continues! :roll:
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Wallace on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Take your time Johno, we all have seen your attention to detail so the finished product should be a cracker 8-)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby ceves on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 pm

johno wrote:
ceves wrote:Am trying to contact Baysie (Baysie79) to get a set of bash plates but I have 'emailed' him a couple of times

Have you emailed him or sent him a PM???
He will respond to you if you send him a PM.
Cheers Johno

Yeah PM'd him, is that in this forum message? Twice now, but maybe he is still moving. Will try and wait for a bit more.
ceves

Postby fisky50 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm

G'day Johno,
Love the write ups and photos as they are both motovational and educational. I am looking at fixing up the poor lighting when reversing at night and liked the looks of the LED lights you fitted. I would appriciate any info you could pass on in regards to buying and fitting the lights. Thanks in advance and keep the write up's and photo's coming. :D :D :D
fisky50

Postby johno on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 am

ceves wrote:Yeah PM'd him, is that in this forum message?

PM sent to you....
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby johno on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 am

fisky50 wrote:G'day Johno,
Love the write ups and photos as they are both motovational and educational.

Thanks for the complement, that's the reason why members do these write ups to be able to help each other and hopefully to get others to have a go.
It can be a bit nerve racking at times to get started, but when you achieve something yourself it gives you a boost and if you do get stuck along the way there's always someone here to help you.

I'll look up the info on the lights and let you know.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby johno on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 am

Wallace wrote:Take your time Johno,

I'm hearing you Mark.. :)
Funny you should say that...I was just getting the same "advice" at home!! :roll:
Cheers Johno
johno

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups