My Home Made Hard Lid

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

My Home Made Hard Lid

Postby Zantus on Sun May 16, 2010 1:19 am

It's been a while since I did any mods on my Triton.

I recently decided I need some kind of covering for my load body. I don't like canopies very much, so a toneau type cover was the obvious next step. My initial idea was something like a canvas toneau cover, but the factory toneau costs about AU$500 Not something you notice when you buy it new and a spec a few options, but as an aftermarket extra, way too much in my books.

I then looked at hard covers, of which there are a few options:
-Glass fibre lid, about AU$1200, doesn't open much, therefore limited access.
-Roll-up type covers, AU$1500, takes up quite a bit of space at the front of the load body.
-African Outback cover, about AU$1350, but you need AU$450 slide drawer to get to your stuff, because it doesn't open very much either.

One thing that really peeved me about existing options was the limited opening angle!

I had some parts from my trailer building days and some steel, so I decided to build my own lid. I had a chat to a friend who builds canopies, who's opinion I respect, but the way he suggested, didn't work for me, so I went ahead and did it my way using the materials I already had. I decided to cover it with aluminium tread plate, although a bit expensive for a cheap cover, it would help with the aesthetics.

I had some 40x40x3 angle iron, so I used that with the angle iron resting on the edge of the load body and going into the load body.

First obstacle to overcome was the fact that you don't get an aluminium tread plate wide enough to cover the entire load body, so I would have to cut a sheet into 4 pieces. I built the frame to suite the 4 pieces of plate.

This is the frame already welded up and bolted to the load body at the front.
Click to view larger picture

Another pic of the frame. The jack is standing on a scale. I jacked up the cover in the area the gas struts would attach to get an initial idea of the forces involved.

I used 4 mild steel hinges I already had. I welded them to the frame and bolted then to the front lip of the load body. I don't usually weld hinges, but I didn't want protruding fasteners visible from the top.

Another view. Here you can see the angle iron resting on the edge and going into the load body.

I had a set of these latches, but the one's key was missing. I paid AU$14 for the key, instead of buying a new matching set for AU$45.
The bottom of the frame was already painted with 2 coats of black etch primer, but the top was left bare for the gluing to follow.

I decided to bend the frame a bit to create some preload in the frame at the point where the gas struts will attach.

Then came the gluing of the plates. I used the entire tube of Sikaflex 252, put the plates in place with the help of a friend and left it overnight with a bit of weight along the joints.

After the gluing I refitted the latches, and I mounted the gas struts. I had to buy a longer gas strut than intended, so I had to ad an extra bracket for them to attach to.

One of my clients made up some latch blocks for the locks and I added 2 extra aluminium reinforcement tubes under the rear section. I don't intent to ever load anything on the lid, so I don't need a lot of strength and I don't want to ad much more weight to the rear section as it puts a lot of extra force into the struts.

To keep the tail gate closed when the lid is locked, I fitted these little latches on either side. Not much, but you only have the plastic handle to pull on when the lid is closed. I might replace them later on with something better.

This is the end result! Probably not to everyone's taste, but exactly what I wanted, and it perfectly suits my needs and it suits the look I want for my vehicle.

When you open the latches, 2 gas struts lift the lid to about 80 degrees open. This gives me easy access to load stuff from the side of the load body, because it is almost completely out of your way. The nylon rope is there to help you pull it back down, or to prevent it from going too high when you're inside a building.

The total cost was about AU$335.00
Zantus

Re: My Home Made Hard Lid

Postby mad992 on Sun May 16, 2010 3:48 am

top job :D
thats called using your initiative and utilising the materials at hand , could you change the locks to flush mount just to make sure they cant be smashed off with a hammer and keep spray grease up to the mild steel butt hinges or they might weld themselves shut,maybe they should be s/steel, hey iam just a piccy @astard, otherwise top job will serve you well i think ;) ..........ps what was the total man hrs involved :mrgreen:
mad992

Postby Zantus on Sun May 16, 2010 5:16 am

Yip, if I didn't have the stuff already, I would have used flush mount locks and stainless hinges that slide off for easy removal of the lid. I might still do the hinge mod sometime, because it will be nice if I could take it off quickly.

Man hours, excluding driving around to buy stuff, was probably 10-15, not sure.

10 years ago when I was a student building trailers to pay for my studies, I could build a whole open box trailer in 18 hours, but now I'm a pen pusher and the manual labour takes a bit longer than it used to :mrgreen:
Zantus

Postby Buzzy on Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 am

That looks the ducks nuts well done Zantus
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 am

Looks the goods mate, job well done. :D Nothing wrong with a bit of alloy checker plate either ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Zantus wrote: and the manual labour takes a bit longer than it used to to recover from :mrgreen:

Well done I like the look
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Member Build Ups