Comfy Bumkins

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Comfy Bumkins

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey all, I’ve had my ML for about eighteen months now and have had lots of fun playing in the bush. I have found that the seats were a little hard on long trips so when I saw the MSA lumber supports in 4WD action mag I figured why not give em a go. After all I’m looking at around 7000klm trip to the Rock and back soon so anything that might help is worth a try.
Here is a sequence of fitting the passenger side, I was pleased that they fit under the stock seat covers! (for those that don’t know the product the lumber has a pump up bladder in a Velcro pocket and the pocket slides up and down within a canvas pouch that clips on to the seat :idea: )
Click to view larger picture
Another thing that bugged me on some of our previous trips was a lack of light around the camp site so I thought up a pretty bright idea:
And at night it looks like:
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Re: Comfy Bumkins

Postby sheepo on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:06 pm

hi looks great mate, is the light leds ?
and your tool boxs on the sides you make or buy them they look great
i would like some thing like them
cheers peter
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeh Peter thanks it is slowly coming together, the light is 120 LED that i got from the local truck spares shop. the boxes are timber (12 ply) that i shaped and covered in carpet & alloy angle. i am a joiner so i had the right tools the design is pretty simple.
4x4fun

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:11 am

Good ideas.

Will be chasing an update to how the seats perform in a couple of weeks
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Another small mod. In a futile effort to stop any unwanted missiles penetrating my engine bay on my upcoming trip to Uluru I have “pimped” my nudge bar. It is Galvanised perforated sheet with an 8mm aperture so should not restrict air flow.
Close Up

FYI - After around 1500klm or so the lumber supports are doing well.
Last edited by 4x4fun on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4x4fun

Postby variflex on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm

I like the mesh on the nudge bar, any photos of hpw you attached it to the bar?

Cheers
Darren.
variflex

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:55 am

Here you go Darren,
Basically once I had the shape (lots of trial runs with 3mm MDF board) I used the split 8mm corrugated tube to protect the edges and held this with small cable ties. Then I simply drilled and riveted (using alloy rivets). I was concerned with the possibility of oxidation between the Galvanising and the Aluminium so I used fibre washes between them.
4x4fun

Postby 4x4fun on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 am

Hey Guys i just got a custom awning made up for my upcoming trip to Uluru. i'm very happy with it so far and i'm sure that this trip will expose any faults/shortfalls it may have.

it was a bit cheaper than the "Fox Wing" (by Oztent) but it is alot stronger and covers heaps more area. Only took around 20min to put up (i was going to say erect but i know where u lot would take that :lol: ) and folds/rolls up (again could've said goes down but....) even quicker. it can be fully freestanding (independent from the car) and is made of a strong canvas (by an old school canvas maker).
4x4fun

Postby QueenslandeR on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Lookin good, love the awning as well as the boxes in the back. Any chance of some larger pics of them?
QueenslandeR

Postby Homer on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Is that a different version of the foxwing awning?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Looking good 4x4 I love the awning :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby 4x4fun on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks Josh, i'll try to grab some more detailed shots for you.

Homer, This is a totally custom (more manuel - unroll and use poles, pegs and ropes to support) awning. No relation to the Fox Wing,although i think the the fox wing is a good "quick" unit, thought i could make something more suited to my needs. i got the basic idea from the Fox wing design (wrap around the car type thing) but i didn't like the look of the strengh (or lack there of) of the cast alloy "hinges" and the fact you are forced to buy sides to look for some over night shelter.

with this one you can do this:
(you might see the flap from the back side is folded over and attached with velcro tabs) and some other things also (pics after trip).

The canvas guy is a ledgend, he made my double swag, a pvc bag for my oztent as well as a garbage bag. all quite reasonable pricing.

Cheers Craig :D
4x4fun

Postby 4x4fun on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

A couple of guys have asked about the “tool” boxes in the back of my ute so I thought I’d share some pics and info about how I made them. Here is a plan of what I did:
And some general shots.
Lid detail.
About the only “tools” that I put in them… ;) .
I used 12mm ply and bolted them down through the floor with stainless bolts. The basic order of construction was:
Cut out the bits & pieces (thanks to the CNC router at work)
Assemble the internal box
Install on either side on tray
Install the top, you need to scribe/fit the top to the shape of the tub using a jigsaw
Fit the face panel
Cover with carpet using contact glue
Fit alloy angle
Confirm the beers fit, if you have made it correctly there should be at least one beer that won’t fit so you will need to consume and enjoy. If you have done a really good job there might be a few more that you need to dispose of.
4x4fun

Postby Barrabrad on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm

The stainless mesh behind the nudge bar looks like an a awesome practical mod. Have you noticed any difference in engine temp under hard use?
Barrabrad

Comfy Bumkins

Postby MN GLXR on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:14 am

I did a similar thing to the stainless mesh but used gal mesh from the hardware shop. $13 for a roll of roof gutter mesh and I cut to exact shape of bottom grill and attached with 3 zip ties.
MN GLXR

Postby 4x4fun on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey Barrabrad, welcome to the site, mate you will love it, sooo much info out there and most of these guys really know their stuff. Others (like me) gain heaps from their knowledge. as for the mesh, i haven't noticed any change in temps at all. glad you like it.

MN, i like your idea about the gutter mesh, this mesh is gal that i had left over from a reptile cage that i had built, so i have no idea as to how much it was (i'd guess it would have been much more than $13 :x )
4x4fun

Postby 4x4fun on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:44 am

Give credit where credit is due…

Hay all I just got my suspension replaced with the ultimate crew, and I must say what a difference! Feels SOOO much tighter around corners and roundabouts, and my arse will be rock hard in no time due to the extra effort it takes jumping in to the thing.
Here are my measurements (measured from under the guard to the top of the rim):
Original
FR = 300mm, RR = 310mm, FL = 295mm, RL = 310mm
Ultimate
FR = 348mm, RR = 380mm, FL = 348mm, RL = 380mm
We picked up a slight shudder but only in first gear and taking it easy you hardly notice it.
As Brendan managed to squeeze the job in between Xmas and New Year (legend) their wheel alignment guys were on holidays (bludgers) so I took it down to BJ in Wollongong for the alignment and after I told them that the suspension had just been replaced and they quoted me $79 saying “any number of things could be wrong mate, we’ll need it for a few hours”. So I took it into get done the next morning sat down and waited…. 20 minutes later they called my name, thinking “oh S@it what now?” the same guy that quoted me earlier had to eat humble pie saying “nuh mate they done a top job we adjusted the camber on the front a little but that was good - $55 thanks”
To any one thinking about using The Ultimate Suspension I say go for it I’m very happy.
4x4fun

Postby ultimate on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 am

Thanks for compliments mate and the vehicle looks really good.

Now the big question....does it fit in the garage? :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby 4x4fun on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:21 am

HEHE i had to take off the Shovel brackets and it still rubs most of the way... i guess that the bigger tyres will have to wait for a bigger garage :roll:
4x4fun

Postby 4x4fun on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 am

Hey guys, just fitted the super “baysey79’ bash plates 8-) 8-) 8-)
I listened to Byron’s suggestion and went with M8 x 30mm SS button head bolt with spring washers :idea:
now the reason I wanted to upgrade the original tinfoil plates is due to the fact that on a recent trip to NT I had to drive home from Chambers Pillar (to Wollongong NSW) with a very annoying flashing 4WD light :roll: . Upon removal of the OE plates I notice that the actuator vacuum hose had coped a knock and was indeed split (more of a rubbing thru type thing). So out came the trusty “rescue tape” and job done. :D

Thanks again newtiton.net, without the aid of the site i would not have known what the hell i was looking for, nor how to fix it, nor got awesome gear to protect it ;)
4x4fun

Postby ultimate on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

It's good to see rescue tape has saved the day again :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Return to Member Build Ups