NFT5's ML VR modifications

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: NFT5's ML VR modifications

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey Chris,
Brett05 and I have been comparing notes on shudder reduction. I went down the track of new tail shaft with slip joint and centre bearing, Brett made some blocks that will lower the centre bearing height. You seem very handy so harass brett to make you some blocks to improve the angle and reduce shudder. I still have a little shudder but it is managable. One thing to remember which really amplified my shudder is to check the shackles are tight and retighten them after 1000km becasue this helped in my case.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Mitch. I'm going to flip the centre bearing first - if that fixes it then all good. If not then at least it might give me some clues as to what extent I need to go to. Brett's fix is very sophisticated but might be the last resort if nothing else works. I was wondering, while under the car, if extending the bracket under the bearing was feasible. Shackles are torqued to specs but will re-check after 500-1000km.

Greg - Front bar is a POP once all the lights, hoops and various fittings are off. If you did the R&R, anyone that charged more than $200 is having a go. I was very careful to put paint and clear on very thin so I don't end up with moon crater sized stone chips when they inevitably happen. Colour matching was interesting since the bar arrived before the car and I just guessed on the colour variant to use and matched against a Triton in the car park next door. Turned out OK though.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Front coils now changed over from Ridepro to Ultimate and, other than some modifications to my coil spring compressors to fit over the strut tube, the whole job was a breeze compared to the rear.

Ultimate coils vs Ridepro
Click to view larger picture

Took some sweat and a heartbeat increase to get these coils compressed

New coils installed. Looks much better than the Ridepros

Back to slightly "tail up".

Overall, the suspension feels much better. Although higher at the front, the Ultimate coils actually feel slightly softer and the banging has gone from the rear although I might have gone a shade softer there too. Still, a huge improvement. That's the third, and hopefully last, time that I have to do these.

Also took the opportunity, while I was under there, to rotate the centre bearing. Shudder is still there but vastly reduced. Now only really apparent if you give it a bootful in 1st, at less than 20km/h.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Looking at the spring compressor had to turn away from the computer screen as could feel my face getting smashed as the spring let go. :shock: :shock:
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby ag9111 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Your a braver man than me Chris. I saw my sring compressors start to do that, Went and got my mates Much heavier made
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Yeah, scary. I was standing arm's length back and wearing face protection, for what it might have been worth. The spring was aimed out the door. The other set, heavier, wouldn't fit over the diameter of the coils.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Yeah, scary. I was standing arm's length back and wearing face protection, for what it might have been worth. The spring was aimed out the door. The other set, heavier, wouldn't fit over the diameter of the coils.

I'm picturing a grinding shield :lol: faaarkin scary mate...not worth it I reckon
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 pm

That is so scary and it reminded me of the time I had a spring compressor slip off a magna spring when very compressed and it hit me just below my nose square on :shock: :cry:

That was enough for me I can tell you so off I went and bought a 20 ton press ;) best thing for doing heavy coils .... :D
sam

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups