NFT5's ML VR modifications

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Rather than spread threads all over the site I'm going to consolidate write-ups about my build up here.

First off, I had a double din dash unit installed from near new but it died. Supplier has disappeared and I had to replace it. Considered a car PC and while it might do some things well there were some disadvantages too. I wanted all in one and to be able to run topographical mapping as well as street navigation.

Choices were top shelf such as Hema but it was a bit hard to justify $2500 and even the other units around $1500. Bottom end was EBay cheapies but the thought of warranty support ex China or Hong Kong really didn't appeal and I wanted something that was a bit better quality than the $300 specials. A little research pointed to a supplier called dig_options who has sold numerous units to members on newHilux and Pradopoint. There are probably 60 pages on these units between these two sites alone and I couldn't really find any complaints which pointed to inherent problems in the units themselves.

There were a lot of posts which praised this suppliers service and support. 100% positive EBay feedback was another plus. Australian supplier and warranty.

A bit more research on the net indicated that there a few factories in China making double din units but the factory making the ones supplied by dig_options is not the same as that which makes most of the cheapies on EBay.

Most of the units available through dig-options are vehicle specific (i.e. come with surrounds which only fit specific models) but they do have at least one which is standard double din (100 x 180mm) size. This is actually targetted at Nissan owners but will fit any vehicle with a standard double din slot (or, like the Triton, one that can be made double din size).

So, the choice of supplier and unit was pretty much decided. I bought this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

Ordered on a Friday evening it was despatched Monday and arrived Tuesday lunchtime. In the meantime Matt from dig_options had responded to a question I had and changed the start-up logo from Nissan to Mitsubishi. Good start. Price was $580 delivered but there is a small discount available to members here - send them a message before payment and they'll give you details.

Photos are mobile phone because some kind person(s) decided that they needed our possessions more than we did and helped themselves after breaking into our house a few weeks ago.

New and old
Click to view larger picture

The unit arrived well packaged and comes with a quick start guide and a User's Manual. The quick start guide is pretty good and the manual is generally understandable with instances of Chinglish not impossible to understand. There is no manual or any documentation at all for the street navigation program which is Polnav. Seems ok so far, found home at least. The manual is available online.

Wiring diagram is clearly marked on unit

Rear plug layout. Note that sockets are at the bottom of the unit. This is a plus for the Triton because the top must sit hard against demister ducting so as not to protrude too far.

This unit was supplied without a connecting plug which meant joining, soldering and heat shrinking every wire. I had previously used a Mitsubishi to DIN adaptor harness and kept this. It adds to the wiring but makes connecting up easier.

The GPS antenna cable connector is a side entry type. Saves valuable space at the back of the unit.

I mounted the GPS antenna here. Works well and is out of sight. Almost made for it, you'd think.

The shroud needed some more trimming to clear the lip around the edge of the unit. Trim a little, check, trim a little check...

There is an absolute rats nest of wiring but this can be tucked away under the unit behind the heater controls and off to each side. A side note here. There is a CANBUS attached to the back of the original trip computer screen. Don't disconnect this. I just detached and tucked away.

Brackets are supplied with the unit and take a bit of fiddling to get placed exactly right with the shroud on the unit has little room for error in placement.

Installed and shroud cover on. I'm not really happy with this cover and will order one from the MN GL-R which should give better shading from the sun and allow easier viewing in daylight.

Booting up shows the Mitsubishi logo. Looks almost factory.

I haven't connected a TV antenna yet but notice that there is a slightly odd connection of 2 x 3.5mm sockets. Will address that later.

Picture quality with 800 x 480 screen is very good. A huge improvement on the old one.

Sound quality is good, maybe not outstanding, but no horrible distortion even at quite high volumes (speakers are upgraded so help with this). Signal to noise is 80dB so not really flash, but good enough if the source is good quality (i.e. CD/DVD).

There is an IPod connector which leads down to beside the centre console. When I get an IPod I'll try it. On the front panel is a rubber cover over the microSD card (easy to lose these!) and USB port.

One thing I have been really impressed with is the speed with which the GPS acquires a signal and determines position. With the old one it could take 10 minutes so you could be halfway to your destination before it would start working. This one locates within 10-15 seconds.

GPS seems to be fairly accurate but I was surprised to find the speed reading was actually 1 km/h less than that on the speedo. With 265/70x16 tyres the speed reading on the old one was a couple of km/h less than the speedo. This might need some more checking out.

The unit connects to the instrument lamps circuit and the lighting behind the switch buttons is yellow. Doesn't really fit with the Triton's blue but I'll get used to it. The screen dims automatically when it gets dark and switches from day to night colour schemes. This is a big bonus.

Overall, quite happy so far and next step is to load OziExplorer for topo maps.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: NFT5's ML VR modifications

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Very nice NFT5, Definitly need an MN shroud.

Thought the only crooks in Canberra were the elected ones. Sorry to hear of your dramas
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm

thanks for the write up, it is obviously a quality multi function unit.

Obviously there is quite a bit of 'hacking' into the cars wiring loom to get it all hooked up, how easy or hard, was it to identify the required cables ie speakers, bluetooth, constant feed and accessory feed for 12v etc etc
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 pm

There is a wiring diagram in the ML workshop manual that can be downloaded. Blue set it up. That and a multimeter sorted out the original wiring. The off the shelf adaptor harness plugs straight into the original Mitsu plug but I had to swap two of the power wires around. Different in the Triton for some reason. All the wires on the adaptor are standard colours and there is a key on the package while those with the double din unit are all clearly marked. Only trap was a blue wire which is for power antenna from the unit - don't connect it to the blue on the harness which leads to the display unit.

When I relocated the display I had to extend all the wires to reach down to where I mounted the screen. Just did one wire at a time so easy, but tedious.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Joe on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 am

Looks the goods mate :D . I'm very interested to know how it performs over time too
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am

Looks the goods mate 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby woz on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 pm

great chris, might have to take u up on the offer to come have a look.
woz

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Gutsy effort with good results well done.
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 am

The solution to the banging and crashing every time I cross the slightest irregularity in the road arrived today. After only 17,000 km the rear springs have collapsed to the point where they're sitting on the helper leaves. No wonder the ride is so hard.

Thanks Brendan. Sorry, I just don't go for blue coils. Couldn't help myself - a two coats of black paint makes them much more unobtrusive.

The third (dirty) coil is one of the original factory ones.

Installation should be later this week.

Meanwhile a quick measure up showed heights of:
FR 555
RR 565
FL 545
RR 575
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Chris are the measurements before the Ultimate springs ?

Mine at 27,000klms were front both 535 and rear both around 560 :!:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 am

Yes. Standard springs in the rear, Ridepro's in the front otherwise the bullbar would be scraping on the ground.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby msquito on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Does that dig options unit have RCA outputs on the back?
msquito

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 am

msquito wrote:Does that dig options unit have RCA outputs on the back?

There are RCA inputs and outputs. I don't have an amp or other input than the reversing camera so haven't used them.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes, I read those too and dig_options apparently have a new model (more expensive) that has a better radio. That said I haven't experienced any problems. Was up in the Brindabellas a couple of weeks ago and reception seemed to be about the same as what I've had in various other vehicles. Around town it's fine. Antenna does need to be more extended but that's not unusual.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:16 pm

While everyone else is playing in the mud and having fun at the NSW/Qld meetup, yesterday was the day to start installing the new suspension which has been sitting on the shop floor for a month. This was the second try, the first ending in removing and replacing one spring.

Why? you ask? Well, when I bought the springs, Ultimate recommended that I re-use the existing bushes and U-bolts. If you're planning on doing the same thing, don't. The front eye bush on the rear springs is bonded in to the eye. When I discovered this I rang the local Mitsu dealer to order a new one. "No problem" he said "the bushes come complete with springs, at only $500 each".

The offending, old spring:

Nice new urethane bushes, full set $60:

So, off we go. Remove old spring. Mount new spring and fit up front and shackle bushes. Go to put on U-bolts. Hmmmm. About 20mm too short, methinks. The Ultimate springs have an extra leaf as well as a built-in castor wedge and there's no way the standard U-bolts are ever going to fit. It's Saturday morning and every suspension joint is closed, except for Pedders. All right, I'm prepared to be ripped off. "Yes, sir, we have that size but in a bigger diameter bolt and slightly longer. That will be just $27.00, sir..............................each"

Back to the shop with my gold plated U-bolts and measure (very carefully) before taking to them with the hacksaw. Meanwhile drill out the holes so the bigger diameter rod will fit. All good? Ready to fit? Yep! WRONG!

The Ultimate springs have a caster wedge (which is great) but look at the photo. It's wider than the spring, apart from not being square, and the spring leaves are actually slightly wider than the OE. Result, the U-bolts only go half way down and hit the wedge. Chance of bending 14mm rod around the wedge? Pretty good. Chances of then bending it back in to go through the holes in the shock absorber mount? Absolutely bloody zero!

The too wide wedge:

After dismantling the spring, removing the wedge and machining it back to the same width as the spring:

From here, all smooth sailing and then:

I know it's usual to do the fronts first but my biggest issue was with the rears which had sagged down to the helpers and just crashed over every tiny bump. There are already Ridepro's in the front so it has a small lift already. I took it home and then out for a run today. The improvement in the rear, even empty, is exceptional. Ride firm but not uncomfortable and handles bumps with complete aplomb.

Ride height at the rear is now 640mm, which is a little more than I was hoping for, but happy with that.

Only problem now is I've got the dreaded Shuddddddddeeerrrrrr. Only in 1st and 2nd when accelerating, but it's there. Maybe rotating the centre bearing will help....
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby ratstriton on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Nice work shame about the problems you had. :D
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 am

I'm glad I had mine installed Chris. I did the same thing. Pulled out one of the rears saw the bush issue in the front Eye and put it straight back in, then took it back to Ultimate. All the drama's can take the polish off a job well done though.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 am

I just called ultimates and spoke to Bob he said they do them all the time and have no problem I asked him to get Brendan to call me as a few of us are getting kits sent to Adelaide and I would definitely like a "no surprises" install.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby salt36 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Bursons and some parts places can get the rubber front bushes but they need to be pressed in.....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Garth: Good choice, but you're a bit closer than I am.
Gregned: I cut the new U-bolts 27mm longer than the old ones and have a bit over 5mm of thread showing beyond the nut. Some of the extra was for the new nuts which are double thick but the rest was for the extra leaf and wedge. There is no way you have 20mm spare thread on the standard U-bolts.
Craig: Have a press to press 'em in. Getting them out is almost impossible. Anyway new ones $60/set, who cares.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 pm

What kit did you get was it comfort or the other one whatever its called?
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

It is the comfort kit.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Are you pleased with the increase in hight it has given you?
Brendan is expecting 3 orders tomorrow from Adelaide
WooHoo :D :D

Another question How much should it cost to get the ironman protector bar you have colour coded?
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:28 am

gregned wrote:Are you pleased with the increase in hight it has given you?
Another question How much should it cost to get the ironman protector bar you have colour coded?

I'm rapt with the height and the ride improvement is even better. I painted the bar myself but I'd expect that, without fitting, about $200 would cover it. Used an amazing amount of paint, even with an HVLP gun there's a lot of waste when painting things like this and I use half the paint that my painter would have.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby gregned on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 am

Sorry I meant the front bar
Hills maketh the man
gregned

Next

Return to Member Build Ups