Salt's V6 ML

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Salt's V6 ML

Postby coughy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:02 pm

heheheh choke that parrot
very annoying that it does that
i killed mine to in my work van gggrrrr
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Well I am gobsmacked :shock: :shock:

My Scangauge 11 does not have the performance option to measure 0-100k times.

So I looked at all options and either a newer Scangauge or an Ultragauge were the standouts.

Because of the many more gauges available I opted for the Ultragauge.

I ordered it Friday just gone and it arrived this morning, from the US :shock: :shock: :shock:

Four days :shock: I cannot believe it, takes longer than that to get some stuff from Melbourne :roll:

Anyway I need to find a spot to mount it now :lol: :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah it's pretty much always been that way. I've had Friday orders arrive Monday from new York. Our post and couriers are shit.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:08 pm

+1 on that Dave
I got parcel from Hong Kong in 2 days
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Salt's V6 ML Suspension bushes

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:14 pm

I have decided to go back to the stock rubber type of spring bush in the front of my rear springs.
Mostly because I am too lazy to take the polyurethane ones out to grease.... :oops:

So this should be easy, ring Mits and Repco, bursons etc and buy some.

NUP no such thing exists :shock: The Mits guy said he can order MK front bushes but not ML :roll:

Anyway as it turns out the MK bushes are exactly the same :D

Two ordered for about $40 each 8-)

Some of my research turned up some interesting info, the rubber bushes are apparently better all round for on road comfort and off road flex as compared to the poly bushes. Kind of makes sense as rubber has more give than the hard polyurethane.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey Salt, so the MK bushes are the same for the ML , how many Km has your rig done now and why are you replacing them :?:
mad992

Postby snakesoup on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 pm

if same for the ml then same same for mn also as same chassis
snakesoup

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:42 pm

mad992 wrote:Hey Salt, so the MK bushes are the same for the ML , how many Km has your rig done now and why are you replacing them :?:

Mate I am a bit over the noise and harshness of ride from the poly bushes, as above only due to my lack of maintenance efforts, I really can't be bothered taking them out to grease them regularly :oops:

My Triton has done 128K now, maybe 50K since I replaced the rear spring bushes and greased them.....

snakesoup wrote:if same for the ml then same same for mn also as same chassis

Yes I would assume so, most websites listed 2006+ so I would think they are the same.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Do Superpro make bushes for Tritons? If they do then they are the way to go. Don't need to be greased aside from when fitting them, have a similar durometer to rubber but last a lot longer.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Yes they do but once again they have a much larger contact area and restrict movement as compared to the rubber bushes, so I have read :?:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby srb on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:52 am

salt36 wrote:Yes they do but once again they have a much larger contact area and restrict movement as compared to the rubber bushes, so I have read :?:

Funny you've mentioned this, I've actually been trying to find rubber bushes for my rear spring for the exact same reasons. I have given up.

Have you got the standard leafs or after market? I think the standard springs take a smaller bush? so the MK bushes will do me no good.

Brendan from Ultimate has the same opinion on this subject, he's been looking into and he's not found anything rubber for the aftermarket springs.

I've had massive issues with running super pro poly bushes, they're noisy, harsh.. and in extreme cases I've had them bind up causing main leaf breakage.

I think most of the aftermarket suspension mobs now run a greasable bolt now, however there's a disadvantages with this system as some believe the grease within the bush attracts dirt that prematurely wears out the bush.

During our around Australia trip I had to replace my bushes on multiple occasions. I used plenty of grease on them but in the harsh conditions it wasn't long before they were dry and starting to bind.

Half way through our trip I was told by an old outback mechanic that it's best NOT to use grease at all, even on the shackle bushes. He said to use graphite powder on assembly and that was it... So I started using this technique and found my bushes lasting a tiny bit longer.

Ol mate wasn't a big fan of poly bushes for all the above reason's mentioned. "Great for the city but no good out here" were his words at the time.

These were after a trip to the Cape, less than 10,000km old.
Click to view larger picture

Broken main leaf after crossing the Simpson, a result of binding bushes, too much weight and lack of maintenance.
Click to view larger picture
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:40 pm

:shock: That is some serious stuff...

I didn't really think about the aftermarket springs being a different size :?

Lets hope they are the same, if not I will have to rebuild the packs with the stock top leaf, still in shed thankfully. Should be interesting anyway.

I am going to try a few different things with my rear springs, the first one will be a thin spacer between each leaf at the diff mounting point, 1.2mm or so and long enough so leaves are supported by the two 'U' bolts. Apparently this can help the leaves move quicker as there is less friction between them.

Sounds feasible, so I will give it a go :D

I also want to try some kind of sock over the spring so I can fill the leaves and the plastic spacer at the leaf ends with grease and not get dirt etc in there. I have no idea what will be strong enough though, perhaps a motorcycle tube or similar.

Every few weeks I jack up the rear of the Triton and place grease on each of the plastic spacers at leaf ends.
Works well, don't feel any bumps through the seat for a few days but doesn't last long so my theory is to contain and keep clean the grease !
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:45 pm

srb wrote:I've had massive issues with running super pro poly bushes, they're noisy, harsh.. and in extreme cases I've had them bind up causing main leaf breakage.

Must be different with the ol' cart sprung rear then. :shock:

Now, for Land Rovers you can replace every suspension bush with Super Pro stuff. Completely different to the usual poly type bush which is hard rubbish and often confused with Super Pro when it shouldn't be. Super Pro provide the same level of suppleness as the stock rubber, no noise and no maintenance, but then no cart sprung rear end either...they got rid of those things 30 years ago :roll:

The radius arm bushes are also designed to provide more flex than the stock rubber bushes.

It would do my head in having to swap out bushes half way through a trip. I mean what do you do with the FilthyBushes you take out?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Steane wrote:It would do my head in having to swap out bushes half way through a trip. I mean what do you do with the FilthyBushes you take out?

Photograph them by the look of it. :D

Cowboy Dave

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Photos of FilthyBushes :o

I think you guys need to look at a different website :lol:
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Nope, I just have to scroll up a couple of posts and there it is, staring me in the face.

Just hypothetically speaking, out of interest, for a mate and all of that, what are the possible consequences if someone, say, theoretically, never looked at these bushes or never greased them or anything like that?

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:56 pm

I'd double check on the MK bushes fitting the Ultimate springs, Craig.

When I put my Ultimates in I had to order a second set because the (supposedly) correct ones didn't fit. They're still in the shop IIRC.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Just hypothetically speaking, out of interest, for a mate and all of that, what are the possible consequences if someone, say, theoretically, never looked at these bushes or never greased them or anything like that?

My 'mate' hasn't looked at his either, I better have a look next time I'm under his car. :oops:

He really should know better. :roll:
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby salt36 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Good, I am pleased to hear I am not the only one too lazy to re-grease bushes on any sort of semi regular basis :lol:

NowForThe5th wrote:I'd double check on the MK bushes fitting the Ultimate springs, Craig.

When I put my Ultimates in I had to order a second set because the (supposedly) correct ones didn't fit. They're still in the shop IIRC.

Yep, I have checked with several suppliers and they list the same part no. for the MK and ML poly bushes with an OD of 41.2mm.

No guarantee they will fit the Ultimate springs though.

If that is the case I will swap the top leaf for the stock one to fit the rubber bushes.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Nope, I just have to scroll up a couple of posts and there it is, staring me in the face.

Just hypothetically speaking, out of interest, for a mate and all of that, what are the possible consequences if someone, say, theoretically, never looked at these bushes or never greased them or anything like that?

They're screwed. You've seen the filthybushes below. They'll have those hanging out their rear end. Accident waiting to happen :shock:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Can you remind me on 1/1/16? I'll make it a new years resolution to have a look. At my mate's car I mean. :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:00 am

Coveting thy neighbour's filthy bushes CD? :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:04 am

RHKTriton wrote:Coveting thy neighbour's filthy bushes CD? :lol:

I think he has his own and some new year plans for them as well.

A bush in the hand is worth two in the...nah that's not right is it :?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Well today I ripped the rear springs out and fitted the rubber bush to the fronts.

I am getting too old to be climbing under a car all day :roll:

One short test drive and very good so far, will check all the bolts in the morning and grease everything properly and go for a longer drive.

The MK rubber bush from Mitsubishi is the one and it fits spot on :D

Had about the right amount of pressure to push in so should stay there...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only person trying to use sockets as bush presses... So to save me rewinding, is that an Ultimate leaf or a stock leaf?

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups