WOFTAM's MN 4x2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

WOFTAM's MN 4x2

Postby WOFTAM on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello everyone :) I joined up here doing some research when I was looking to replace my daily driver with a single cab ute of some sort to carry my bikes and assorted gear.

I noticed there's not much two wheel drive talk going on, but I ended up with a MN GLX 4x2, after looking at all the other Thai built alternatives.

Unfortunately for my bank account none of my cars stay standard, but the mods do the Triton are a little more modest than previous cars, including my current weekend car; a twin turbo VY Commodore.

Click to view larger picture

First up after getting it home from the dealer was fitting the EGR blanking plate. I made a whole load of them so if anyone wants one, PM me here. They are made of 1.6mm stainless steel, water cut to the shape of the factory EGR gasket.

The Triton started it's duties carrying bikes around, either downhill bikes or road bikes depending on the mood. 15% window tint on the sides and 5% on the back keeping things cool and dark inside.

After getting a bit bored, it was off to the dealer to order some GLX-R parts to smarten up the exterior. Wheel arch flares, chrome mirrors and door handles made the list.

The chrome mirrors and door handles are a straight swap.

The wheel arch flares were a little trickier. The GLX-R guards and front bumper have holes that locate and fasten the flares. The GLX-R flares fit the base model guards without using the holes, the three mounting brackets providing a secure fit in the same locations as the GLX-R. The only modification necessary to the flare is removing the mounting tabs that would normally mount to the GLX-R front bumper. The factory mudflaps finish off the flares nicely.

Next on the list were some wheels to fill out the flares. The standard 205 tyres on 16 inch wheels looked a little cheesy. So next on went some 22 inch wheels for some bling. Wheels are 22x9.5 inch Maas Modular with 265/40x22 tyres. These give a slightly higher rolling diameter than the standard tyres on 16 inch wheels.

At the same time as the wheels, it was time to lose the drop sides on the tray and give the tray a bit of a neaten up. Off came the headboard for a bit of weight loss.

The rear guards and mudflaps were also moved a little further outboard to suit the wider tyres and increased track width.

So this is pretty much where it's at now.

Next on the list are some GLX-R fog lights, which I have arranged through a member on here and maybe a bit of a power up.

:mrgreen:
WOFTAM

Re: WOFTAM's MN 4x2

Postby mitsifreak on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 pm

great Job well done WOFTAM and i have to say love the name i had a boat named the same
look forward to seeing more updates

Mitsi 8-)
The Mafia does exist its called the Government the legal Mafia
mitsifreak

Postby salt36 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Very nice Woftam, you dont muck around 8-)

Mate what of your black mirror backs and door handles ?

Did you swap them or still have them? I am looking for black ones to replace my chrome ones.....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby WOFTAM on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:16 am

salt36 wrote:Very nice Woftam, you dont muck around 8-)

Mate what of your black mirror backs and door handles ?

Did you swap them or still have them? I am looking for black ones to replace my chrome ones.....

I still have them. Was looking to offload them to someone that wanted blacked out handles and mirrors or keep them when it's time to sell the Triton. I'm assuming you would also want rear door handles, which obviously I can't help you with. PM me if you were keen and I'll work out what I want for them.
WOFTAM

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 pm

looks the ducks nuts mate, well done.

whats the trick to getting the chrome mirror backs off???
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby WOFTAM on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:35 pm

tassie_ml wrote:looks the ducks nuts mate, well done.

whats the trick to getting the chrome mirror backs off???

The mirror glass pops out from the bottom first which gives you a bit of access to the clips hlding the back on. The chrome back has two main clips on the inner edge that you squeeze and then the rest of the clips pretty much pop off. It can be done without removing mirror glass if your fingers are long and skinny :lol:
WOFTAM

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:17 pm

thanks mate. I just had another look at your pics, thats not a screw in your new rubber is it?? :roll:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby WOFTAM on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:22 pm

tassie_ml wrote:thanks mate. I just had another look at your pics, thats not a screw in your new rubber is it?? :roll:

I had to have a closer look :lol: It's the manufacturers ink on the tread luckily.
WOFTAM

Return to Member Build Ups