New Driving Lights

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

New Driving Lights

Postby kayleb on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey i just put on some new driving lights and wanted to show them off. Hope you like them!
[img]IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/kaylebb/DSC03100.jpg[/img][/img]
Click to view larger picture
kayleb

Re: New Driving Lights

Postby boycee on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Looking good. should be able to see where you're goinig now. ;) :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Hiya Kayleb - the driving lights look great!!!

I am just curious as to the point down the road that they start lighting it up (obvioulsy lower part of the spread is obscured by the canopy). For example, if you stretched a length of builders line between the point in front of the vehicle and the middle of the spot light face (with the line being perfectly straight and not bent by the front of the cabin).

I have attached a technical diagram using AutoCAD (well, don't have CAD so MSPaint! :lol: ) so you can see what I mean

:mrgreen:

Cheers
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby kayleb on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey. I initially had that thought as well and so bought some cheap spotlights from supercheap auto and just hardwired them to the battery with no switch and did a bit of playing around to see where they would shine and so on. As it turns out, with the spotlights on the high beam switch (as they are legally required to be) and with the triton lights having a single filament which switches for high and low beam, the light from the spotlights which i have cut in around 60m up the road. Because of the single filament design of the triton headlights, the high beam and the spotlights work pretty well to light up about 300-400m.
As well as this, it also depended on the lighting brand. I have a mate who owned a pari of Narva 180's, and we unbolted these from his Commodore and played around with them. Although about half the price of the Hella's, the narva's also had about half the range, and so would probably not have achieved much more than the stock triton high beams (which are actually quite a performer).
All in all, with the high beams, spotlights and fog lights, i get about 140 degrees around the car and from 1m-350/400m lit up.
Hope that essay helped, and answered what you were asking! =P
kayleb

Postby Fnordy on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:17 pm

That's great Kayleb!!!

Obviously they are better off high from a mud / dirt / river crossing perspective, but they looked like they would leave a big gap up close (you know - the space where kangaroo's enter stage left :) )

Good to know that the cabin shadow is not too deep, although a HID kit on the headlights may also be a good thing. I have a XenonOz kit but yet to fit!

Cheers and thanks for the feedback
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby kayleb on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

yeh, thats what i thought as well, but they actually dont leave that much of a gap, if any at all. Also, having four makes a difference, as two are adjusted for far out and two for closer/wide range.

Thanks for the feedback on the HID kit, still have a bit of the refund from the tax man to spend, so that may be a worthwhile investment before my camping trip early next month...

Thanks for the comments
kayleb

Postby aiden71 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey be careful as where you have mounted them that is illegal in some states. They can blind on coming traffic on a hill crest before you even know there is someone coming the other way. :shock:
aiden71

Postby fisky50 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Nice work on the install and they look great mounted up there. :D
fisky50

Postby al coholic on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm

aiden71 wrote:Hey be careful as where you have mounted them that is illegal in some states. They can blind on coming traffic on a hill crest before you even know there is someone coming the other way. :shock:

My understanding is it is only illegal if he is driving around without the covers on them...........obviously once offroad or in a remote area........its not going to matter. :?

I think Kayleb might be scared of the dark somehow :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 am

al coholic wrote:I think Kayleb might be scared of the dark somehow :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beat me to it....imagine Kayleb and Diablo camping in the bush somewhere together and the lights went out :o :lol:

BOO!!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 am

Homer wrote:Beat me to it....

You'll get your form back soon enough big fella.................you've been away for quite a while :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Return to Member Build Ups