Ironman snorkel on ML petrol live instal

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Ironman snorkel on ML petrol live instal

Postby Kegsy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 pm

IMO the ironman snorkel its self is top notch, the paperwork might as well be binned and go it yourself.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ARands on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm going to have a chat to Ironman regarding their snorkel template, apart from the template being inaccurate everything else is perfect.

I will also order the ARB? radiator bottle and replace the supplied metal canister, (I don't like the canister).

I would think that anyone who has installed a snorkel previously will know the pitfalls and what to look out for, me personally I've never seen a snorkel installed. I wouldn't say I was lucky with the flare, but I did notice early on the problem with the template as the top edge did not line up with the top of the front quarter as exactly as I would have expected, and neither did the left hand edge. I guess the 20 years trade experience I have along with my engineering degree kinda helped.....

I would also hope, that this has lead to us (as a forum) to helping others realise the potential problems with installing snorkels, and that we can highlight any useful technical information using stickies et al. entitled such like "Everything you need to know about snorkels" etc

One thing of interest is who can say that every single stud on their snorkel has a nut on it? because in my opinion one nut on the Ironman (and Safari if its the same) can not be installed unless it is done first!

Ratchet spanners are an absolute must for this job!! kudos to the inventor of Ratchet Spanners!

How my different bugs can you spot inside you air filter?

PS. I generally don't drink when I am working, the beer only comes out when tidying up and cleaning my tools.
There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG
ARands

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:11 am

Mods - Rename this thread to how "How Ironman lost Triton snorkel sales". :lol:

Seriously though they could do a lot better than that. Not unusual though with templates being way out like this - been caught as well in the past :roll: . As Tony says measure twice, cut/drill once :!:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steve1961 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 am

Well despite all the dramas ... the end result was good ... and nobody will ever know the difference ... and truth be known ... god knows what the guards look like on some of the " professional " installs
so all in all good job :) :)
steve1961

Postby Homer on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 am

steve1961 wrote:Well despite all the dramas ... the end result was good ... and nobody will ever know the difference ... and truth be known ... god knows what the guards look like on some of the " professional " installs
so all in all good job :) :)

That's what I was going to post :lol: :lol: I'd love to see the number of holes, scratches and gouges underneath some snorkels that are "perfect".

Also the templates are no good on the Sahara snorkel too, so I can't see any reason to beatup on ironman alone...other than it is an ironman snorkel in this particular thread
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby johno on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:58 am

Well i thought I'd add in my 2 bobs worth here.
This is my third snorkel install, but the first on a Triton, and yes I f#*$ed up !

If you were to take it to a "pro fitter" who has already done one before he would automatically adjust the way the templates position on the vehicle and it will be fine.(he learnt that from his first install!!) For us first timers that don't know to slightly move the template a bit ,and NOT put it where the instructions say the result will be "as per discussion" :roll:

As for complaining to Ironman, I did get in touch with them, and i told them about the problem that i had with the install.
I told them that i followed the instructions exactly, and placed the template exactly where i was suppose to, and they replied that they know that there is a problem when you follow the instructions...exactly, there reply/suggested..... to allow for that next time .....just like the pro installers do!!

That's why we share our Triton adventures here, so others can share our triumphs and our failures and hopefully learn from each other..
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby steve1961 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:12 am

Maybe the next time someone has a trouble free free fit out ... they could take some measurements and some distances / pics etc and future installers will have a better guide as to whether they have marked the holes correctly before drilling ...
after reading some of the other threads now .. i feel a bit fortunate that i didnt come unstuck also
but iam a pedantic " mother " so i made sure it was right ...and made sure the template was right in relation to the holes on the snorkel ... but reading past threads i think there was a bit of luck involved too
steve1961

Postby SinWolf on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:25 am

Guys...

What do you do with the radiator bottle once removed ?? Where do you move it and how do you fastened it ??

Thanks
SinWolf

Postby johno on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 am

SinWolf wrote:Guys...What do you do with the radiator bottle once removed ?? Where do you move it and how do you fastened it ?? Thanks

Mine came with a stainless steel replacement bottle, so it was just remove the old one and bolt in the new one.
Click to view larger picture
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 am

did you buy that kit through 4wd1 in sydney? and did your template match up well?

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 am

helicoptercow wrote:did you buy that kit through 4wd1 in sydney? and did your template match up well?

If you are asking me...I did get mine from there and the template was out by a long shot!
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:28 am

johno wrote:
helicoptercow wrote:did you buy that kit through 4wd1 in sydney? and did your template match up well?

If you are asking me...I did get mine from there and the template was out by a long shot!
Cheers Johno

Yep, i emailed them and they agreed the templates were out, but said the current batch they have appear to have been corrected... so will give them a go, will just double check everything.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:51 am

helicoptercow wrote:Yep, i emailed them and they agreed the templates were out, but said the current batch they have appear to have been corrected... so will give them a go, will just double check everything.

I asked them about the template after i installed mine and they did say then that they know that they were out but "most of the installers know that and allow for it!!" :o then added next time you will know! :roll: (a bit late now)

There's enough info on here about fitting them to help you out, Just double check everything before you drill :roll:
The first hole hurts the worst, then it gets a bit easier after that... :lol: :lol:
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby SinWolf on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Can you perhaps give me the dimensions of the bottle (pipe size and length)... I bought a snorkel without the replacement bottle :(
SinWolf

Postby johno on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 am

SinWolf wrote:Can you perhaps give me the dimensions of the bottle (pipe size and length)... I bought a snorkel without the replacement bottle :(

It's about this big! this round! and this long!...is that any help to you :lol: :lol:

Maybe these will be of more help ;)
100mm across (round)

cap size 30mm

and it all sit on a 65-70 deg angle

The only photo that i couldn't get (couldn't get the camera in there!) was the length which is 250mm and the inlet pipe size is 15mm.
hopefully this will help you out.
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby SinWolf on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

GREAT !!

THANKY you for your trouble and detailed measurements...

One more question though... I noticed that this can should be mounted on the two bolts just behind the bonnet support bracket.... But I already have an OEM botlle mounted there ??? I think it's for my power steering fluid.

:?:

Thanks again !
SinWolf

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Thats because you have an MN. The ML didn't have the power steering resovoir there...

You need the safari coolant bottle from their MN kit, or custom make something yourself. failing that you can relocate the factory bottle behind the battery on the firewall near the fuel filter by making a simple bracket.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SinWolf on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Kegsy wrote:Thats because you have an MN. The ML didn't have the power steering resovoir there...

You need the safari coolant bottle from their MN kit, or custom make something yourself. failing that you can relocate the factory bottle behind the battery on the firewall near the fuel filter by making a simple bracket.

Cool... Thanks for the tip.... I think it will be easier to just fabricate some custom brackets !!

@Johno

Thanks again, but I might just not build my own resevoir, which means I stuffed you around a bit with the measurements... SORRY !!!!
SinWolf

Postby johno on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 pm

SinWolf wrote: which means I stuffed you around a bit with the measurements... SORRY !!!!

Not a problem, glad i could "sort of" help ;) but at least you have a solution :)
Cheers Johno
johno

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

SinWolf wrote:
Kegsy wrote:Thats because you have an MN. The ML didn't have the power steering resovoir there...

Cool... Thanks for the tip.... I think it will be easier to just fabricate some custom brackets !!

@Johno

Thanks again, but I might just not build my own resevoir, which means I stuffed you around a bit with the measurements... SORRY !!!!

I had the same problems mate, check this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6697&p=114496&hilit=engine+bay#p114496
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gauci204 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:14 pm

I had the same prob with my install of the ironman snorkel. The template doesn't even fit the snorkel when it is laying on it's back on the ground let alone on the car itself. I complained to the place I purchase it from and ended up with a patch repair kit which was a nice token offer. The snorkel itself is great, the template, I wouldn't even wipe my butt with
gauci204

Postby TUF909 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 21, 2013 6:42 pm

It's just a bottle. Some have been able to squeeze the oem item back in with a little trimming.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TUF909 on Tue May 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah it's all on here somewhere - just hard to find sometimes.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups