mjwilmo's (slow) Triton build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

mjwilmo's (slow) Triton build

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Alright, here we go.. First addition was the ARB rear step tow-bar.

Two of the key questions i had before i had it installed was how far back it went, and how much below the tray it went, so i've added photos to show this. But the short answer is not much more, if at all, that than the stock rear bumper bar..

most people already know, but just in case, this rear bar/tow bar option is WAY better than the mitsi tow bar package which hangs very low (just search this site for more info).

Click to view larger picture

Overall very pleased with the bar (installed by a local 4wd shop).
mjwilmo

Re: mjwilmo's (slow) Triton build

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Next up was the Polaris rear view camera system.. also installed by a local 4wd shop.

Works really well, and the fact the screen 'hides' behind the sun visor is also good. Doesnt cover right to the edges, but using it in tandem with the side mirrors means you shouldn't have any surprises!

mjwilmo

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:08 pm

most recent addition was the rubber matting and tool box for the tray. Nothing flash for the box, really just a stop gap until i get around to installing a drawer system. But it fits really well between the wheel arches. I drilled a couple of small holes in the base of the tray and affixed with nuts n bolts. Currently holds all recovery gear, air compressor, straps, footballs, tow bar and pleny of room for more toys!

For the matting, purchased from CR and cut to fit. Works really well. Its the kind with the holes cut throughout so any liquids etc should pool underneath the rubber.

Next up is to find some rubber to make a dust seal in the tray.

As for major mods, the Ultimate suspension is next on the list... when $$ permits!
mjwilmo

Postby Bad Kitty on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:26 pm

looking good MJ... should put it to good use in the upcoming Brindies trip :D
Bad Kitty

Postby VALERIO on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm

I like the rubber mat with holes..... good idea ;)
VALERIO

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I have an MN GLX-R and the Mitsubishi genuine tow bar and although the rear is raised about 60mm it will drag its bum a bit. The ARB bar should help departure angles a fair bit on yours :mrgreen: .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:05 pm

mjwilmo

is that the CM-V2 reversing kit and if so how do you find the viewing angle?

i think it is standard with 90 degrees - is that enough?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:24 pm

snowman wrote:mjwilmo

is that the CM-V2 reversing kit and if so how do you find the viewing angle?

i think it is standard with 90 degrees - is that enough?

Yeah thats the one. To be honest, a wider viewing area would be ideal. I checked and I can really only see about the width of the number plate on the checker-plate of the rear bar, so the corners of the car are blind from the reverse camera so you remain entirely reliant on side mirrors.
mjwilmo

Postby snowman on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

so you would go the 130 degree option if you could?

i really like the idea of it on the sunshade as my roof console doesn't allow it on the mirror and when you put up the shade no one really knows its there.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 pm

snowman wrote:so you would go the 130 degree option if you could?

i really like the idea of it on the sunshade as my roof console doesn't allow it on the mirror and when you put up the shade no one really knows its there.

I guess the more degrees the better. On the Polaris website (which, for some reason, no longer has this model) they have a mini camera which looks the same as the one i have at 170degrees - that would be much better.

Having it on the shade works great, and it's so slim you cannot see it is there. You can also plug in another device - in addition to the camera - if you like eg dvd player.
mjwilmo

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 pm

it is possible the one i have IS 130 degrees.. check the post from biggibo on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5882&p=95509&hilit=polaris#p95509) - this is where i got the idea to get this model. It contains a copy of the brochure with the model i have and the camera - far left, 130deg. Anyway, if you could get wider, all the better!
mjwilmo

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:06 pm

mjwilmo wrote:it is possible the one i have IS 130 degrees.. check the post from biggibo on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5882&p=95509&hilit=polaris#p95509) - this is where i got the idea to get this model. It contains a copy of the brochure with the model i have and the camera - far left, 130deg. Anyway, if you could get wider, all the better!

Definately go the 130 degree option. I looked at both at the display in the shop and ended up going the 130. The 90 doesnt even go close to showing the corners, so you might as well park by feel.
biggibbo

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 pm

biggibbo wrote:
mjwilmo wrote:it is possible the one i have IS 130 degrees.. check the post from biggibo on this thread (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5882&p=95509&hilit=polaris#p95509) - this is where i got the idea to get this model. It contains a copy of the brochure with the model i have and the camera - far left, 130deg. Anyway, if you could get wider, all the better!

Definately go the 130 degree option. I looked at both at the display in the shop and ended up going the 130. The 90 doesnt even go close to showing the corners, so you might as well park by feel.

can you see the corners biggi? i dont come close - so maybe i do have the 90deg.. i dont recall having an option!? the camera looks the same though..
mjwilmo

Postby mjwilmo on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Installed the Provent catch can today.

Used a couple of brackets from Bunnings to hold it in place over near the battery.

I bought the kit from Western Filters, which came with silicon hoses and pleny of hose clamps.

Was able to run the hose tuck up between the engine block and the wall, all fit nicely under the engine cover.

Finally, connected a Pope garden hose tap for the oulet hose, though I'm not sure how long that wil last in that location, i may need to adjust it at some stage.

Took a couple of hours, and all in all not so bad a job.. and I'm pretty much a dumbass when it comes to working on the truck, so many thanks to all members who provided advice (indirectly or directly through this site).

Lastly, would be grateful any feedback if anyone notices something i did wrong!

M
mjwilmo

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Just make sure there are no low spots in the hoses were oil can build up.

top job and easy to do. :D
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:06 pm

looks bloody awesome :) :) :)
mad992

Return to Member Build Ups