Gutters ML GLX-R Build - Back to practical shoes

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Gutters ML GLX-R Build - Back to practical shoes

Postby gutters on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Thought it was time to start my build thread. I'm starting off small, but first a bit about the car. Its a 2007 ML GLX-R, stock standard apart form the cruise control. We upgraded from a NJ Series 2 Pajero that ended by dying a slow death at the hands of cancer. It seems that the previous owners had a liking for driving in salt water and my best efforts couldn't save the old girl.

Anyway onto the mods, the poxy side steps had to go IMO they don't offer much if any protection and hung down too low.

Click to view larger picture

Next up was the Couplertec heavy duty rust protection unit, I'm now paranoid about rust and my wife thinks I'm nuts given the amount of time I've spent under the trition getting to know it better. Hopefully this unit and regular thorough cleaning will keep the rust at bay, oh and staying off the beach is not really an option when you live in gods country.

Next mod was the installation of the brake controller, I chose the Redarc remote head unit as I found the other types to intrusive and fiddly to adjust on my previous 4by's.

After reading the many posts about where to place the UHF I dismantled the center console and took to it with the stanely knife. Its a GME unit that served me well in the Pajero, just need to wire it up and find a suitable mount for the aerial.

So that's it to date, I have bought a redarc battery isolator and will hopefully wire up a second battery most likely in the tub. On Friday the Triton is getting a Caddy Storage Canopy installed http://www.utecanopies.com.au/ and once funds permit it will be bash plates and a snorkel. Then further down the track bar work all around (waiting to see more of the MCC range/prices) and then suspension.
Last edited by gutters on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Re: Gutters ML GLX-R Build

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 pm

it'll all take shape over time ... and with plenty of coin this forum will help you spend :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm

hey gutters,

how r u goin mate your just down the highway from me ;)
truck looks good dont know about taking to the dash with a stanley :lol:

cheers mad
mad992

Postby gutters on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm

mad,

it was either the stanley or the hacksaw blade to cut out the plastic out and I think the job looked ok, just don't look too closely.

Anyway just got the car back from a sleep over at the dealers to get rid of the carbon and replace the upper inlet manifold, reflash the ECU etc. So far I'm happy with the results, no surging through 1800 t0 2200 rpm and feels a lot smoother with better power delivery down low. So the immediate need is to fit one of Alex's EGR plates.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby steve1961 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

I fitted mine in the same spot gutters ..i used a hacksaw blade and cleaned it up with a file ... same result and looks fine as yours would
wiring ... theres a large plug in the firewall on the left hand side where you can bring antenna cables etc through ... carfully punch a hole through it from the engine side and use a straightened coat hanger as a mouse ... you will see it in the cab under the glove box right up high towards the passenger kick panel
steve1961

Postby gutters on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah looks ok, pretty nerve racking deciding to cut up a perfectly good dash. I was ok doing my own work on the old banged up paj but cautious about hacking into a nice neat car. Imagine what I'm going to be like when it comes to fitting the bullbar or the snorkel...

Thanks for the tips on the wiring that's why this forum is so great, plenty of guys willing to help. Thanks Steve.
Last edited by gutters on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby steve1961 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:53 pm

check the snorkel thread too ... thats not as bad as you think ... nothing gets the heart pumping like boring a 95 mm hole in your 40 k car :lol: :lol: :lol:
steve1961

Gutters ML GLX-R Build

Postby fridgie on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I know that feeling.... then your heart sinking as the holesaw bites on the outer guard :shock: but can't be seen ;)

Scary, but the confidence you get while doing the big ticket items yourself is great, snorkel gave me the confidence to do the front bar. And always good to have some of your Newtriton mates on hand to help/laugh :mrgreen:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Kegsy on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

steve1961 wrote:check the snorkel thread too ... thats not as bad as you think ... nothing gets the heart pumping like boring a 95 mm hole in your 40 k car :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, your boring a hole in a $500 guard. Think of it that way...

Its a far more nerve racking experience cutting the floor pan out of a unibody car.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steve1961 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm

fridgie wrote:I know that feeling.... then your heart sinking as the holesaw bites on the outer guard :shock: but can't be seen ;)

Scary, but the confidence you get while doing the big ticket items yourself is great, snorkel gave me the confidence to do the front bar. And always good to have some of your Newtriton mates on hand to help/laugh :mrgreen:

thats why you have a female there aiming the WD40 at the hole saw :P
steve1961

Postby gutters on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, gotta save up some coin and then tackle that front guard soon, I've read the various snorkel threads and I think I'm armed with enough information. I'll post pictures of how I go.

Tex thanks for the heads up...

On a side note how much is involved in taking off the hard tonneau cover and sports bar? I'm hoping its just a series of bolts and brackets (haven't had a look yet myself) I have the car booked in to have the canopy fitted on Friday and need to remove this gear before heading to the installers.

Anybody need or want a white tonneau lid and spots bar? Free to a good home.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Greedy on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

[quote="Tex]Won't even take you a full beer :D[/quote]
Bollocks, Just drink quicker. ;)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gutters on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

thanks again Tex, I'll have 2 beers ready to go tomorrow arvo, its getting warm and humid here and I may need to drink faster than normal :D
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:50 pm

gutters wrote:thanks again Tex, I'll have 2 beers ready to go tomorrow arvo, its getting warm and humid here and I may need to drink faster than normal :D

nothing worse than dehydrating gutters, better have 3 and one for me.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice ride by the way
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby gutters on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks tassie, sounds like a good idea mate, bugger it why stop at 4 :lol: no work on friday I'll make sure the fresh carton I picked up this arvo is ready for tomorrow arvo.

I'll take pics of the canopy on Friday and post them up...
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Got the Canopy fitted last Friday and very happy with the results. Its an Alpha GME canopy fitted by Caddy Storage down in Parkinson. I went for 2 sliding windows as we will be getting a new pup soon.

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby ratstriton on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

The build's coming on nice, great looking canopy. :D
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gutters on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks ratstriton, all I know is I don't have deep enough pockets to keep funding all the "inspiration" i get from this site. I think I'm developing an addiction :) :)
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby VALERIO on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 pm

One of the best looking canopies i've seeing :)
VALERIO

Postby gutters on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I had a few parcels arrive last week which is always interesting as the missus and I get to have the "whats that and how much did it cost" chat. I just find it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission :o :o

Anyway I don't have pictures with me but I'll add them to the post once I'm home.

NewTriton.net sticker from Joe.

DiD Seat Spacers - these are great and got the tick of approval from my wife as soon as she got in the car yesterday.

Dual Battery - Mounted the 100AH AGM battery in the tray, just need to wire it up to the Redarc Isolator this weekend.

Baysies Bash plates - Just need to paint them up and they will be fitted this coming weekend.

I also got around to installing the Rhino Racks and the home made awning which was very useful yesterday as it kept us dry during the heavy down poor whilst up at Jimna.

Parcels the missus doesn't know about yet are the Airflow Snorkel and the Uni Filter Combo pack, I look forward to the next chat...
Last edited by gutters on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm

gutters wrote:I had a few parcels arrive last week which is always interesting as the missus and I get to have the "whats that and how much did it cost" chat. I just find it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission :o :o

... I look forward to the next chat...

bahahahahaah :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm gunna try this method... clearly its where i've been going wrong! :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

yeah me to, I am way too honest for my own good....thanks for the tip ;)
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:16 am

how did you make the awning and have you got any pics of it extended ? I am about to get one myself and considering making one if its worth it.

thanks
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby johno on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 am

That is looking nice gutters,these Triton become a bit addictive after a while!
I'll have to try the "it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" thing next time 8-)

Hope the bank account holds out for the rest of the mods :roll:
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby josh_cod on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

Looking great mate!
How are you finding the canopy? I know some of the other makes have had trouble with the clearance between the cab and canopy, how does the Alpha look?
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Next

Return to Member Build Ups