Gutters ML GLX-R Build - Back to practical shoes

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Gutters ML GLX-R Build

Postby gutters on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

tassie_ml wrote:how did you make the awning and have you got any pics of it extended ? I am about to get one myself and considering making one if its worth it.

thanks

I made the awning out of a heavy duty silver tarp, from memory it was 2.5 x 2.5m and some of the plastic fabric that Spotlight sells for waterproof table clothes (probably not the best description) but it was the only time I actually paid attention whilst in Spotlight with the missus. I also bought 3m meters of heavy duty zip whilst there. It pays to have access to someone who can sew, my wife used her sewing machine to sew 2 pieces (each side of the bag) of the plastic fabric to the tarp with enough overlap at the top to sew in 3mm rope that is used to secure the awning to sail track which is mounted to the roof bars. Cut the 2 plastic flaps to size allowing enough room for the rolled up awning and poles and then sew int he zip.We also included 3 velco loops to hold the rolled up awning which helps when zipping up the bag.

I couldn't justify at least $300 for an off the shelf awning and whilst it might not look as flash it does the job well. All up it cost just over $100 for the tarp, plastic material, sail track, zip, 2 x tent poles and 2 x guide ropes. Even less if you have some of this gear lying around.

I don't have any pics available now but I'll take some this weekend and post them up if that helps.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:12 pm

josh_cod wrote:Looking great mate!
How are you finding the canopy? I know some of the other makes have had trouble with the clearance between the cab and canopy, how does the Alpha look?

Hey Josh,

I'm really happy with the canopy, there seems to be enough clearance between the canopy and the cab and I can't see there being any issues. The only problem I've had so far is the dust sealing around the tailgate (upper corners of the tailgate), there are gaps that let dust in, but these seems to be a problem with all dual cabs and one of the jobs on the long list is to see if clarke rubber has the necessary gear to help fix this issue.

Cheers,
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:02 pm

gutters wrote:
tassie_ml wrote:how did you make the awning and have you got any pics of it extended ? I am about to get one myself and considering making one if its worth it.

thanks

I made the awning out of a heavy duty silver tarp, from memory it was 2.5 x 2.5m and some of the plastic fabric that Spotlight sells for waterproof table clothes (probably not the best description) but it was the only time I actually paid attention whilst in Spotlight with the missus. I also bought 3m meters of heavy duty zip whilst there. It pays to have access to someone who can sew, my wife used her sewing machine to sew 2 pieces (each side of the bag) of the plastic fabric to the tarp with enough overlap at the top to sew in 3mm rope that is used to secure the awning to sail track which is mounted to the roof bars. Cut the 2 plastic flaps to size allowing enough room for the rolled up awning and poles and then sew int he zip.We also included 3 velco loops to hold the rolled up awning which helps when zipping up the bag.

I couldn't justify at least $300 for an off the shelf awning and whilst it might not look as flash it does the job well. All up it cost just over $100 for the tarp, plastic material, sail track, zip, 2 x tent poles and 2 x guide ropes. Even less if you have some of this gear lying around.

I don't have any pics available now but I'll take some this weekend and post them up if that helps.

thanks mate..... :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby josh_cod on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 pm

gutters wrote:Hey Josh,

I'm really happy with the canopy, there seems to be enough clearance between the canopy and the cab and I can't see there being any issues. The only problem I've had so far is the dust sealing around the tailgate (upper corners of the tailgate), there are gaps that let dust in, but these seems to be a problem with all dual cabs and one of the jobs on the long list is to see if clarke rubber has the necessary gear to help fix this issue.

Cheers,

Thanks gutters,
Another canopy to add to the list to compare. The canopy decision is getting harder and harder. There doesn't seem to be much between them looking at all the pro's and con's.
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby gutters on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:15 am

Here are some pictures of the awning for Tassie and anyone else that may be interested.

I've used sail track and some aluminium 25mm tube to mount the awning to the rhino racks.

Click to view larger picture

This pic shows the velco straps used to help support the rolled up tarp and poles.

Awning rolled out

Pic of the under side where it joins the racks.

Hope these pics are useful.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Re: Gutters ML GLX-R Build - Snorkel Installed

Postby gutters on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 am

Took the plunge this weekend and installed my Ironman Snorkel, what a PITA job :evil: :evil: But I got it done without any "extra" holes. It seems that my template was way out too and thanks to the great information on this site and the shared experiences of others I avoided destroying my guard.

Flare, plastic wheel arches, airbox and radiator overflow bottle removed - the easy bit.

Now to check the template, as you can see the template is way out :o

So after a while of staring into space trying to work out the best way to install this with a dodgy template I decided to use the template as instructed and mark all the pilot holes. I made the assumption that the 95mm hole for the air intake would be correct and prepared myself to bore a bloody big hole in a perfectly good guard.

After cutting the holes in the outer and inner guards, I placed the snorkel on the guard and marked where the pilot holes should of been and drilled them out to 16mm as specified. As you can see some are a fair distance off...

Unfortunately the template has the 95 mm hole too far down the guard and it dropped into the flare area and as a result I had to trim the flare slightly to get it to fit. I think ARands and a few others experienced the same problem. I attached the template exactly as specified and I can't see a way to use the template (at least not the one supplied to me) and align with the top and rear of the panel and get this hole further up the guard.

Anyway here is the end result and overall I pretty happy with it :D . All up it took me about 6 hours over 2 days and this involved a lot of checking, thinking, checking and finally doing...

A couple of tips for others contemplating installing a snorkel, check the template against the snorkel before drilling, get yourself a set of ratchet spanners if you don't already have them I couldn't imagine trying to bolt the snrokel up to the guard without them. Most of all take your time.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Re: Gutters ML GLX-R Build - Snorkel Installed

Postby johno on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 am

gutters wrote:Took the plunge this weekend and installed my Ironman Snorkel, It seems that my template was way out too and thanks to the great information on this site and the shared experiences of others I avoided destroying my guard.
A couple of tips for others contemplating installing a snorkel, check the template against the snorkel before drilling, get yourself a set of ratchet spanners if you don't already have them I couldn't imagine trying to bolt the snrokel up to the guard without them. Most of all take your time.

Hi Gutters, Looks good,Click to view larger picture and good to see you having a go at it yourself.
Nice to know that you were reading up on the subject before you started,that's why people here share information.
Oh and your not the only one that had to shave the guard a bit :roll:
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby gutters on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks Johno,

Still got a long way to go and a lot more coin to find... Apart from the great tips I get on this site I get lots of "inspiration" and the wish list is always growing.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:20 am

Nice work on the Snorkel install.... The template was a long way off by the looks of it! wonder why they even bother including it with the kit. :lol:

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brownegaz on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 pm

My neighbour is about to fit a snorkel to his 3 week old MN, I better get him to have a look here before he even thinks about picking up a drill.
Nice job Gutters, Im still sitting on the fence on this one.
brownegaz
brownegaz

Postby johno on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

brownegaz wrote:My neighbour is about to fit a snorkel to his 3 week old MN, I better get him to have a look here before he even thinks about picking up a drill.
Nice job Gutters, Im still sitting on the fence on this one.
brownegaz

You will have to offer to hand him the tool and hold his beer for him and see how it's done :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby gutters on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 am

Its been a while since I updated this thread and the Tri has had a few more modifications and a couple more in motion, I haven't got pics with me but I'll update tonight.

I installed my fridge slide for the 80l waeco, its from 4WD Systems in Adelaide and is very well made. I've kept the fridge at floor level as the missus is a short a#$e :D Next job in the cab is to start working on the storage system, water tank and a switch panel for the auxiliary 12v power setup. Notice the old winch ready for the bullbar.

Installed the Double DIN GPS unit, was relatively straight forward thanks to the instructions and tips from Rocko. Still have to get a fascia to suit a GLXR ML and I haven't yet attempted to wire up the reverse camera. Was wondering how everyone else has run the cable to the rear, I was going to go out the front grommet and along the chassis rail to the back but interested to hear if there was a better way.

After heading to the Brisbane 4x4 show I got a "show special" on the Ironman constant load lift kit, had it fitted by Caloundra 4x4 and happy with the results. Made a huge difference on the weekend and really helped lift the standard tow hitch (up 80mm), so the camper now sits level when hitched up. Overall got about a 40mm lift at the front and 55mm at the rear wheels.

Whilst at the show I picked up a T13 Outback TJM winch bar, it is being fitted this Saturday and I'll stick the old winch from the Paj in it too. The bar would have been useful on the weekend as I broke the right front flare due to the crappy approach angle, lucky the crack is below the cut I need to make to fit the bar.

I have also ordered a set of the Bushskinz sliders which are due to arrive next week so I will hopefully fit them next weekend.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Updated previous post with pictures.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby mad992 on Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 pm

mate lookin like a sweet ride triton that truck :!: :!: :!: :!:
mad992

Postby fridgie on Sun May 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Looking good mate, just a shame it's white ;) :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks guys, once the side steps go on that will be it for a while, the Spud peeler returned to work on Wednesday after our Easter break and was made redundant effective immediately, so back down to one wage which means no more mods to the Triton for some time. :cry: :cry:
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby perko on Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 am

Nice work Gutters, truck looks great. ;)

Little tip with the Double Din unit, from the looks of the pics above you and I have the same unit, Rocko has a thin strip of plastic around the outside of the face of his unit. If you look at his post you can see the Mitsu facia fits neatly against this strip, it's maybe 1.5 mm wide between the buttons and the facia. I have a gap the size of that strip around mine. :?

I also mounted mine as far back as I could to get it under the hood, Rocko complained of glare on his screen so I wanted to minimise this as much as possible, also means the facia isn't 100% snug around the inside of the hood.

I don't have an issue with it though, it still looks very neat and you would only notice the gaps if you're anal like me and get in close for a look :lol: Thing is even though it fits snugly and won't move when it's all installed, you do need to tape it down as it will rattle. :)

You might be able to find an after market facia that's a bit more snug, and gives you room to play around with the edges. ;)
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the tips Perko, your unit looks great and you barely notice the gap, I don't think I'll bother with the infill seems like a bit of coin to fill such as small gap, I'll learn to live with the gap :D

No I just need to source a replacement hood, might have to get in touch with Matt from Digi Options to see if he was able to source some after market fascia's?
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 pm

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I fitted the Bushskinz sliders a little while ago here is a picture of them on the Triton.

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Froggy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey gutters, I passed you this afternoon on Steve Irwin way at 4.30 the car looks great! Tried to wave, but recognised the car too late. Thanks again for the nudge bar!
Froggy

Postby gutters on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:31 pm

froggymicb wrote:Hey gutters, I passed you this afternoon on Steve Irwin way at 4.30 the car looks great! Tried to wave, but recognised the car too late. Thanks again for the nudge bar!

Hey my first spotto :D .

Glad to see the nudge bar on your car and not in my backyard.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby gutters on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Its been a while since I update the build thread, latest additions are an Ultragauge and a set of rear drawers. I've been working interstate a lot and haven't had much quality time with the Triton so the drawers have taken about a month to build when I could find the time.

The drawers are made out of 18mm form ply for the frame and 12mm form ply for the drawers and the side wings, all the form ply was donated from a mate in the building industry which kept the costs down. The drawer runs on teflon skids, I looked at drawer runners but couldn't justify the cost. The skids slide smoothly and I have used them before in previous drawer systems I've built in my other 4WD's.

The left side wing houses my 100ah AGM battery which is isolated form the starter by a redarc isolator. This battery runs the fridge and feeds the fuse box which I run a couple of cig and merit plugs, an LED light stuck to the roof and the air compressor. I've also run the anderson plug to connect the camper to this battery. The compressor lives in the right side wing and the plumping for the water tank and the compressor come out on the front of this panel.

I've always had a a Scangauage on the wish list but after reading a few reviews and watching youtube videos of the Ultragauge I decided to order one in from the states. I haven't had too much time to play with it but the interface and setup menus are easy to use. I did have to calibrate it for distance and fuel usage but that wasn't too much of a hassle and probably much easier than configuring gauges on the Scangauage. I have set it up to auto advance (10 seconds per screen)through 3 pages displaying 6 gauges per page. From memory the unit can display up to 8 pages and each page can be configured to display 4, 6 or 8 gauges. The Ultragauge also allows you to set min and max thresholds for each of the gauges and you can enable alarms to alert you when these thresholds have been breached. I've set set alarms for boost pressure, coolant temp, battery voltage, intake temp, distance to empty and a few others I can't seem to remember now. Here's a few pics of the unit that i took whilst I had the car idling in the driveway.

Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Tim007 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Nice rig. I am in caloundra and stumbled on your posts looking for some info on the bushskinz sliders. I also noticed you had the digi options head unit I was looking at. 'I read they now do a proper facia so hopefully i wont get a gap.Would you recommend both of them if you had to buy them again? How much was the ultra gauge if you don't mind me asking? Where did you get the bush skins from. I can only find retailers in NSW. I appreciate any info you can give. Cheers Tim.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby gutters on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 am

Tim007 wrote:Nice rig. I am in caloundra and stumbled on your posts looking for some info on the bushskinz sliders. I also noticed you had the digi options head unit I was looking at. 'I read they now do a proper facia so hopefully i wont get a gap.Would you recommend both of them if you had to buy them again? How much was the ultra gauge if you don't mind me asking? Where did you get the bush skins from. I can only find retailers in NSW. I appreciate any info you can give. Cheers Tim.

Hi Tim,

I still haven't got a facia to go around the double din unit yet, I should pull my finger out and get one soon. Overall I'm very happy with the digi options unit and would buy again, in fact I've since helped my brother and a mate buy and instal these units in their 4wds. IF your interesedted I would contact Matt from digi options and mention your from the New Triton forum he may look after you as he has sold a few units to us. Matt does have a profile on here so maybe send him a PM (dig_options).

The Bushskinz sliders were sourced as part of a group buy and freighted up to me. Very happy with these sliders too, nice and strong and I was able tio fit them myself without too much hassle. Kieron form Bushskinz is very helpful and I'm sure he would be happy to organise freight to you, maybe send him an email bushskinz4x4@live.com

The Ultragauge cost $110.10 which include $31 for postage, it took a while to arrive between 2 and 3 weeks but well worth the wait. I still haven't had much time to play with it but it's easy to use and configure.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby Tim007 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Awesome thanks mate.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups