2010 GLX-R

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

2010 GLX-R

Postby Dave64 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Building up our new GLX-R. In the last month or so since we have owned it we have added an ARB bull bar, Rear step/tow bar. These didn't seem to alter the ride height of the vehicle. In the last week we have added an ARB canopy, a canopy rack and Black Widow drawer system which have flatterened the rear leaf springs. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have spoken to a suspension guy who recomends resetting the rear leaf set and adding an extra leaf and then air bags. Has anyone else out there experience the same problem or have any other suggestions.
Dave64

Re: 2010 GLX-R

Postby har05l on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 am

Welcome dave :). Looks like you have a good start already on your build ;)

I'd suggest an ultimate suspension fit-out. Adding a leaf and airbags :cry: :o won't help the overall vehicle set up. Your best to do front and back and you'll notice the difference straight away. Speak to brendan from ultimate and he'll advise you of the best set up for your intended purposes of your truck and at a good price to 8-)

/ Love the colour to :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:08 am

Welcome to the site Dave64,
Good to see you have got stuck into the mods already, :D
Resetting and adding an extra leaf in the rear will allow it to take more weight,but seriously consider replacing the whole suspension as the oem stuff is pretty crap and will deteriorate pretty quickly.
Ultimate are a forum sponsor and offer a pretty good price to forum members and custom build each setup for individual needs.Alot of members here have there suspension and rave about it. I will soon be replacing mine and will be going down the same road as most here.
Enjoy the site there is heaps of info here on everything you need and dont need but now want :lol: :lol: :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby renotriton on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 am

It's not a problem Dave but a feature of ordinary suspension.
Do a search on airbags on this site and there are some who have ended up with major chassis problems. Probably overloading and driving to fast for the conditions IMO.
I drive around everyday with only 300kg of extra load from standard and the suspension has dropped at least 40mm and I have 13K on the ODO.

I will be off to Ultimate for a suspension upgrade very soon.
I have had King springs and Ultima(not Ultimate) shocks on a Patrol and they where both great.
Also had TJMs XGS suspension on another Patrol and it was also great.
My reason for going to ultimate is how helpful they are on the phone, great price and the great rap they are getting on this site with several happy customers.

oh, and welcome too!
renotriton

Postby al coholic on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:49 am

Welcome Dave :)

It is quite a bit of weight you have added to the rear of you vehicle with canopy, canopy rack, rear bar and your drawers.............and while everyone thinks the suspension should be able to handle this much weight (and it probably should be setup from factory to do this) in reality, most of the Tritons or any 4x4 dual cab sold here in oz doesnt even venture off the blacktop or get loaded up to go away on holidays etc. A sad fact but they are built to cater for the people using them on road because they are the majority........not designed for having every 4x4 accessory fitted and touring around the country. :evil: This and Mitsu being too tight to fit decent quality non squeking springs :roll:

Like the guys said above............do yourself a favour and visit Ultimate suspension, Brendan will look after you :D And you will never be let down by the poor quality OEM suspension.........for under 2 grand you will have the vehicle setup to cater for the loads you will be carrying, handle correctly around corners and not nose diving everytime you jump on the anchors...........it is money well spent.

Cheers, enjoy the site :D
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 am

welcome Dave, looks like the bug has you already :lol: :lol: :lol:

As everyone else has said, seriuosly consider the Ultimate suspension, I will be fitting it to mine in a month or so and I am even contemplating driving from Hobart to have it fitted by the 'guru' himself :mrgreen:

I hope you have a healthy credit card, this site is addictive and you will end up with bits lying around the house just waiting to be fitted....it happened to me :roll:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby Dave64 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am

I have decided to go with Old Man Emu suspension, they offer a 3 year 60,000 km warranty. Gets fitted next week :D
Dave64

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 am

Sounds like you have been brain washed by the guys at ARB.......I have heard some bad things regarding OME shocks leaking and people not being happy with them! Personal the warranty doesn't count for anything with ARB i have found them to be very arrogant and unhelpful in this department! I know ultimate have a brilliant rep and when my iron stuff gives out i'll be getting ultimate. Hope it works out for you mate!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:27 pm

al coholic wrote:Welcome Dave :)

It is quite a bit of weight you have added to the rear of you vehicle with canopy, canopy rack, rear bar and your drawers.............and while everyone thinks the suspension should be able to handle this much weight (and it probably should be setup from factory to do this) in reality, most of the Tritons or any 4x4 dual cab sold here in oz doesnt even venture off the blacktop or get loaded up to go away on holidays etc. A sad fact but they are built to cater for the people using them on road because they are the majority........not designed for having every 4x4 accessory fitted and touring around the country. :evil: This and Mitsu being too tight to fit decent quality non squeking springs :roll:

Like the guys said above............do yourself a favour and visit Ultimate suspension, Brendan will look after you :D And you will never be let down by the poor quality OEM suspension.........for under 2 grand you will have the vehicle setup to cater for the loads you will be carrying, handle correctly around corners and not nose diving everytime you jump on the anchors...........it is money well spent.

Cheers, enjoy the site :D

Nose diving when you hit the anchors. Thank god! I thought it was just me!!!

Ive been saying the stock suspension feels like it has no shocks its like a boat. hit a bump and just bounce and bounce down the road :roll:

Anyway, I have exactly the same set up down back and exactly the same problem down back too.
Been told airbags will only buy you time.... eventually you will want to get it sorted properly... ;)

Im currently saving my $ to do something about it too. Let me know how you go.

Everyones happy with the ultimates here. Wondering what the Ironman is like and also if its possible to fit myself... :?: :|

ARB told me to go with the 500kg constant load and it would cost about $2200 fitted. :cry:
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Dave64 wrote:I have decided to go with Old Man Emu suspension, they offer a 3 year 60,000 km warranty. Gets fitted next week :D

Gee, that's a good deal. Ultimate's warranty is, I believe, 3 years or 80,000km whichever comes last and they have the runs on the board with service and backup. Plus, they can set up for your specific needs and weights with custom shock valving rather than just taking one off the shelf. Probably cheaper too. Do a search on OME and see how many happy customers there aren't.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

2010 GLX-R

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm

And mine worked out cheaper than that too ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby har05l on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:37 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
Dave64 wrote:I have decided to go with Old Man Emu suspension, they offer a 3 year 60,000 km warranty. Gets fitted next week :D

Gee, that's a good deal. Ultimate's warranty is, I believe, 3 years or 80,000km whichever comes last and they have the runs on the board with service and backup. Plus, they can set up for your specific needs and weights with custom shock valving rather than just taking one off the shelf. Probably cheaper too. Do a search on OME and see how many happy customers there aren't.

Your one year out 5th ;)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7456&p=136584&hilit=warranty#p136576
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still a better product, though and whichever comes last is the key.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 am

^^^^^^^ A far superior product, I cannot imagine the competitors matching the quality of the Ultimate ride.....

I travel around 30,000 klm's a year, so my Ultimate warranty will be good for around 3 1/2 years :D

Imagine if you only travelled 20,000 k per year........ 4 years plus ;) 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Dave74 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:53 pm

although we haven't got our Ultimate suspension fitted yet, the wife did heaps and heaps of research, she even rung a few 4wd clubs asking for input. One of the clubs had a senior member that actually owns his own 4wd mechanic business and when we mentioned Ultimate he jumped at the chance to fit it and said we were making a good choice. She gave up on asking the stores as they are of course going to tell you their product is the best. At the end of the day we went with Ultimate, one it worked out cheaper than OME even with postage and having to find a mechanic to fit it, just couldn't find any negative feedback on them. Most of the people she spoke to said they were done with OME as they were sick of having to take the vehicle back to get it fixed. She searched every forum she could find and just came up with too much negative feedback. Keep researching is all I can say.
Dave74

2010 GLX-R

Postby fridgie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm

I reckon you've made the right choice there mate ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby trouble on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Dave I too went with ARB rear suspension, I have ARB canopy, OUtback drawers, second battery, fridge, and all recovery gear in the rear. I then travelled to Cape York (towing a camper trailer in 2009) I returned and the rear springs were shot and did not perform how i would liked.
To end the story I know have Ultimate Suspension front and rear and I could not be happier, and I still have all the gear in the rear tub.

Its great gear youwont be disapointed. ;)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

2010 GLX-R

Postby fridgie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:58 am

Too confusing now, too many Dave's :shock: :lol:

Hi I'm Dave, this is my brother Dave and my other brother Dave :lol: :lol:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Homer on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

Tex wrote:Got confused then. Dave 74 said he's getting Ultimate. I thought "oh he's changed hi mind from OME". Then I realized it was Dave 64 in the first post saying he's getting OME :?

Dave64, How are the OME going :?:

And why did you go airbags?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:55 pm

no such thing as too many Daves Fridgie.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dave64 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm

So far I couldn't be happier with the OME stuff the vehicle now drives as a single vehicle not as before with the front and rear doing there own thing. No more nose diving under brakes, got a 50mm lift in the rear and it has stopped wollowing around. Travels so smooth over the corrugations very happy so far :D
Dave64

Postby Dave64 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:53 pm

I guess fitting Old Man Emu was not a popular choice as I not had any further comments
Dave64

Postby Mattstruck on Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

most important thing is your happy mate! ;)
Whats it worth if u dont mind me asking? :?
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Mooons on Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Good to hear your happy with it mate dont take it to heart a lot of guys like the ultimate system on this site
but the good thing is the triton is yours and you get to modify it how ever you like
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Member Build Ups