Tassies V6 ML

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Tassies V6 ML

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I thought it was about time I posted some pics up of my GLX-R. There’s bits of info all over the place but not in the one place, so here goes.

Its a 2007 GLX-R in the best colour, Cyber Blue. Its a V6 auto and we bought it second hand at 2 and and a half years old with just 32k on the clock. It was in pretty good nick, and was almost stock except for a Mitsi wrap around alloy nudge bar, factory ladder and roof racks, soft tarp and a pair of pi$$ ant spotties.

This is it the first week
Click to view larger picture

We bought it to do some long distance touring on the mainland (I am a Qlder and spent the last 20 years camping on Fraser Island, Moreton and tackling LCMP) so it was about time I built a ‘tourer’ and saw this big brown land. With a limited budget I had to source everything at the best prices and being a tight ar$e I wanted to fit as much as I could here at home.

The first things to be done were some all terrain tyres, went for the Cooper ATR in 255/70/16 which is exactly 15mm larger so keeps them legal. Then some decent lights, went for the Lightforce 240’s as I have had them before and were really impressed with their output for $$.

Next was some decent reversing lights. Found these ones on ebay for next to nothing. Fitted like a factory set so was happy with them. They have been on for a year now and no problems

The struts were buggered and I wasn’t sure about suspension just yet so I opted to fit Pedders struts and rear shocks as an interim measure until I had decided on a front bar/winch and other bits and pieces that would factor in which suspension I would ultimately get (forgive the pun – read on).

The UHF went in next. Its a Uniden remote face job. The brains are fitted in the front passenger kick panel with the face mounted originally in the centre console under the ashtray but I have recently moved it to the passenger side of the centre console. The nudge bar doesn’t have anywhere for the aerial so I fabbed up a small bracket and bolted it to the bar.

Next was the canopy. I did lots of research and priced them here in Hobart. Everything from ARB to TJM, Razorback etc but settled on the SJS canopy. About a grand cheaper than everyone else and had it freighted to Hobart from Melbourne. 12 months on and its great, no problems so far

Next was the dual batteries. I got a Piranha tray that fits where the original battery was. It moved the original battery forward a couple of inches which allows the second one to sit behind it. I fitted a Redarc isolator on the firewall behind the second battery. The only down side is that I had to remove the cruise control module, but a small sacrifice.

The 50 litre Waeco lives in the back on a Waeco slide and works a treat. No more ice and soggy stuff floating around

Next I think was the long range tank. Its a Brown Davis one, 140litres and fits like a finger in a bu...you know what I mean. I fitted this one with the help of a mate at home as its pretty heavy and cumbersome to lift alone.

I also fitted a 1200w inverter to be able to charge cameras, laptops etc and run my daughters DVD player while away. It fits neatly under the front passenger seat and runs directly from the second battery. I had to refit the seat, the spud peeler noticed it gone at the first corner :lol: :lol:

This is where the build got to when we headed off for a 4 week trip to the Flinders Ranges. Everything went really well, nothing failed or let us down so I was happy with the progress of the build. Of course, it highlighted what needed doing next .

Once we got back I got the snorkel sorted. Its a Safari one for the diesel but fits the petrol without any issues. Fitted this myself in the driveway at home. I made sure I had the right tools and bought the hole saws etc which made the job easy as

The air filter was done at the same time. Opted for the K&N one and threw the factory one behind the back seat in case its needed (hasn’t been yet)

Then there was the Ironman side steps. Chucked the cheap alloy ones under the house. These ones are bloody heavy and well made. And bolt directly to the chassis

I also fitted two engine watchdog electronic temp gauges. One for the engine and one for the auto box as they don’t like the heat. They fitted really easy and now I can see exactly what temp they are running at, peace of mind really

I bought a 5w LED strip light off ebay for about $8 and sickaflexed it to the upper tailgate door. Theres a switch just inside the canopy and it throws heaps of light. This is something we discovered we needed from the SA trip. Its great for cooking or looking for something at night

More recently I got myself a set of baysies bash plates. These ones are galvanised and bloody heavy/strong compared to the shite factory ones. This was more of an insurance policy than anything against that random hit which can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Also picked up a set of newtriton.net stickers....the mrs hates them but she will get over it

and finally, this morning I started on the roof top storage. I have gone with the Rhino HD track system rated at 100kg. I fitted the track system this afternoon, its easy to do. Just remove the piping in the roof channel and rivet the track down. Its a custom bent track to suit the contour of the roof. Next is to bolt the feet down and then fit the HD cross bars....

I have ordered the shovel holder and hi lift holder. Also need to sort out an alloy basket and side awning. I think thats about it so far. Lots more to come when the credit card recovers :lol:

Next month it gets a 2 inch suspension lift, alloy front bull bar with winch and a steel rear bar from Mr Ultimate. When the ATR's get low I will probably go up to a 265/75/16 in a STT or something like that.

God knows where this will end and of course I blame this site for my addiction ;)

Hope you enjoy the pics :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Re: Tassies V6 ML

Postby amanda on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Great write up tassie :D And of course it is all the site's fault that you are addicted.. I know where you are coming from with that one!
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Awesome mate :D

Excellent write up, and some top notch mods there 8-)

Didnt you bolt the passenger seat in when you took mum for a drive :shock: :lol:

have to remember that one :lol: ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Kegsy on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Like the others have said, nice write up.

You've done some worthy mods to her, a few ideas in my head now :twisted:

Looking good.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Interesting write-up Tassie. I thought you were looking at an MN, or do I have that wrong?

So do you have the cruise control permanently disengaged?

Those SJS canopies look good. Nice work so far!
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

yeah Steane, I was tossing up whether to stop spending money on the ML and upgrade to a MN but in the end I decided to keep the ML. To be honest, its the 2.5 that stopped me :roll: I will probably get flamed but I like the V6 and the money I would have spent upgrading will pay for my addiction over the next 12 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cruise can be reconnected if the dual batts are removed. The control stalk on the steering column is still fitted, its just the box in the engine bay that controls the throttle assembly that has been removed.

thanks for the replies :mrgreen:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 pm

salt36 wrote:Awesome mate :D

Excellent write up, and some top notch mods there 8-)

Didnt you bolt the passenger seat in when you took mum for a drive :shock: :lol:

have to remember that one :lol: ;)

yeah, you gotta keep them on their toes mate, show em who's boss...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Steane on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:41 pm

tassie_ml wrote:yeah Steane, I was tossing up whether to stop spending money on the ML and upgrade to a MN but in the end I decided to keep the ML. To be honest, its the 2.5 that stopped me :roll: I will probably get flamed but I like the V6 and the money I would have spent upgrading will pay for my addiction over the next 12 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cruise can be reconnected if the dual batts are removed. The control stalk on the steering column is still fitted, its just the box in the engine bay that controls the throttle assembly that has been removed.

I guess the only way to replace a petrol ML is to jump camps and get either the Lux or the Navara. Good choice sticking with the ML I reckon ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics after the Ultimate kit goes on.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 pm

tassie_ml wrote:yeah Steane, I was tossing up whether to stop spending money on the ML and upgrade to a MN but in the end I decided to keep the ML. To be honest, its the 2.5 that stopped me :roll: I will probably get flamed but I like the V6 and the money I would have spent upgrading will pay for my addiction over the next 12 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate I would not be happy going from the V6 to a laaaagggging 2.5 diesel :roll:
I had a Ford Courier 2.5 diesel and it sucked big time.......... :(

Stick with the V6 mate and watch my progress, I am aiming at around 160KW at the rear wheels ;) enough for the extra poke but not overboard........... 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Southwa on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 am

Tidy Rig you've got going there mate.. Just wondering
When you fitted your snorkel, what did you do with your colant overflow bottle? I'm just a bout to fit a sarfari snorkel and reading the instructions it tells you to move the bottle over behind the battery...
Southwa

Postby salt36 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 am

^^^^ Mine came with a replacement bottle and is moved to the rear a bit, see here,

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5837#p93743

Sorry for the hijack Mark
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:57 am

salt36 wrote:^^^^ Mine came with a replacement bottle and is moved to the rear a bit, see here,

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5837#p93743

Sorry for the hijack Mark

no problems Craig. Sothwa, my snorkel came with a new overflow bottle same as Craigs. It goes in the same spot as the original but its just shaped differently to accommodate the intake from the snorkel.

I dont see how moving it behind the battery is an improvement....would be worth checking with Safari before you iinstall it mate ;)
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Joe on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Looking good tassie :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:59 pm

I fitted my sidewinder volt meters this afternoon. I had been looking for a while for some sort of volt meter but all I could find were either those 2 inch round ones or some tacky electonic one until I saw these ones used by Bennys. So I picked up 2 of them, one for the main battery and one for the aux battery.

I fitted the one for the aux battery in the tray next to the fridge. I figured its main purpose is to let me know when the battery is running down for the fridge and lights when camping so its better being somewhere where I can see it readily

the other one I put in the cab so I can see how the main battery is and will pick up any alternator or charging issues on the run. It fitted really well here and doesnt look stick out like a sore thumb :mrgreen:

anyway, whats next ....... :roll:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Southwa on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 pm

The stock water bottle i have needs to be moved to allow the snorkel to fit through the gaurd to the airbox. I'll get onto sarfari and pick up an aftermarket bottle.. Saves me having to mount my second battery under the tray like i planned....

Cheers Guys..
Southwa

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 am

Tex wrote:Good stuff Tassie 8-)

What are the switches on the LHS of the steering column :?:

the left one is the momentary switch for the Redarc isolator so I can join the batteries together if needed and the other is for another 'project'. I am going to get another LED strip light for under the bonnet and this will switch that on and off ;)

just under those switches, you might be able to see a small blue LED. Thats also from the Redarc isolator and indicates when the isolator is closed and both batteries are linked.

cheers :mrgreen:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby helicoptercow on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

She's looking pretty swish there tassie :D

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 am

helicoptercow wrote:She's looking pretty swish there tassie :D

thanks mate, this ones not a mud basher so I can keep it fairly tidy ;)
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby trouble on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:05 am

Well done so far Tassie, very nice unit for a V6 :lol:
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby gutters on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 pm

The truck looks great Tassie, well done.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby msquito on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Did the Snorkel help with fuel economy? I have a v6 too and was thinking of getting a snorkel for better fuel economy
msquito

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Nice rig mate! You should go with a black steel front bar to match your side steps and eventually the rear bar! The black on blue looks awesome check out ML-VR08's shed!

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:31 pm

thanks guys ;)

Mitch, I was thinking of an alloy front bar but everything I have added recently has been black (steps/snorkel/roof rack), the rear bar will be black so I reckon your onto something there, might as well get a black steel bull bar and be done with it :roll:

Next thing you know I will be like Salt and black out the wheels and anything else thats shiny :lol: :lol:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:00 pm

heres an update on whats melted my credit card over the last few weeks.

got a medium size Rhino roof basket, shovel and high lift jack holders and a roll out side awning. I also painted the rear cross bar (over the canopy) black cause it was silver and looked out of place ;)

anyway, here's some pics

the awning is attached to the front and very rear cross bar. The alloy moulding it is in should have enough flex in it not to crack the mounting point on the canopy, its only flimsy alloy.

I am a bit concerned that the foot of the high lift sits so close to the roof line, but theres no other way to mount it unless I pcak it up a bit.....will have to keep an eye on it.

cheers
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Homer on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:10 pm

I've got the same racks Tassie and was hoping you found a good place for the high lift jack. It looks a bit sus to me too mate. I thought the photo must have had a weird perspective.

The problem is the only way you will find out if it hits...is after it hits :|
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups