Storm Troopers DUAL Battery Set Up.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

So here is my dual battery set up, after much discussion with ag9111 (big thanks) and the guys at work and assessing my needs, i have gone for the following setup;
- Ctek D250S Dual DC - DC Charger
- Century Deep Cycle AGM Battery (C12-100DA) 100aH
- 8G wiring (Jaycar brand - Response)
- Battery Heat Shields (JEGS brand)

I'll let you all know how it goes once i install the fridge... still waiting for it to be delivered, i ended up deciding on the new ARB 60L fridge/freezer, but initially i should be getting at least 3day out of this before charging is required. anyway a few photos below.

Battery tray
Click to view larger picture

The batteries

The DC to DC Charger - Ctek D250S Dual

The heat shields

Ctek lights up like a christmas tree - this is the part were you smile knowing you hooked it all up right.

All installed, some more cleaning up of the additional wiring since the starter battery has now moved forward, some of the other accessories wires now need to be lengthened and cable tied to neaten up the engine bay.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Re: Storm Troopers DUAL Battery Set Up.

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Good one Stormy. Well done. That's one mod I won't be following you on.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby daryn on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

ok, so whats what ? 10" starter, 12" backup or vice versa ? The starter looks smaller than normal or it may just be the photo angle.

how much was the century ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Is the ctek a isolator as well ?
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 pm

daryn wrote:ok, so whats what ? 10" starter, 12" backup or vice versa ? The starter looks smaller than normal or it may just be the photo angle.

how much was the century ?

Daryn, the starter is original... INOX battery conditioner and charging it properly even now and then makes the battery last... 3.5yrs no problems. i think its 10inch.

the tray allows the original and a 12 inch Aux battery.

I managed to pick up the Century for $375 (RRP $460) - Battery World Bankstown - Nice Guy the manager.... just tell him that your a newtriton 4WD member and that another member pick up his battery here

DID Power, yeah mate its and isolator dc to dc charger and a solar regulator all in one.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby daryn on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm

shivers mine came with a 12" starter and I only have room of course for the 10" dualie. If thats the same tray as mine, TJM, they only allow a 10 & 12 in whatever setup you choose.

Do you have v6 ? Your engine looks weird...lol
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm

daryn wrote:shivers mine came with a 12" starter and I only have room of course for the 10" dualie. If thats the same tray as mine, TJM, they only allow a 10 & 12 in whatever setup you choose.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yep its the rare V6... that sounds like a diesel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Storm Trooper

Postby 61rth on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

I went with the ctek aswell storm trooper. I haven't fully set it up yet, but I have a GLR so have the room behind the seat. Only have 55 a/h at the moment but I've seen a 105 a/h fit there, so might upgrade to that wehn I finish the install.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Storm Trooper,
Just wondering how you went installing the dual battery under the bonnet, I have noticed a lot of guys have been installing them in the tub but i dont want to do that. Also I did notice you have the petrol but i have the diesel, will that make the difference into installing it under the hood?
Just thought i would rack your brain and see what you know!
Thanks
Dan
dan.batto

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Storm Trooper wrote:
daryn wrote:shivers mine came with a 12" starter and I only have room of course for the 10" dualie. If thats the same tray as mine, TJM, they only allow a 10 & 12 in whatever setup you choose.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yep its the rare V6... that sounds like a diesel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:
If yours sounds like a diesel then something is wrong :shock:

Mine sounds like a V6 8-) :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby andyj on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 pm

salt36 wrote:
Storm Trooper wrote:

:shock:
If yours sounds like a diesel then something is wrong :shock:

Mine sounds like a V6 8-) :lol:

Must be something wrong with yours salt, because mine and Stormy's sound exactly the same - like a diesel. :lol: :lol:

Hey Stormy, have you booked in for the engine rebuild yet?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:05 pm

:shock: um ok,
Do yours rattle ?

My LPG injectors tick away but no rattle..... mine is quiet and smooth, except for the exhaust of course :lol:

On trips I am always surprised how loud the diesels are :lol:

I think the MN is a little quieter though .....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh Sorry for the Hijack Stormy :oops:

What rebuild 5th ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Engine. As Homer, and some others have had. Loose piston pin. When idling they sound almost like a diesel and if you drive close to a wall the echo makes you think something's going to fall out, very soon. Sounds a bit like piston slap or a little leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. Confusing because it's not a typical top end noise, nor a typical bottom end noise. Much worse just after an oil change. Stormy and I both have it.

Yeah, and sorry about the hijack Stormy. But we are talking about your Triton as well..........and you brought it up. :twisted:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:15 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Engine. As Homer, and some others have had. Loose piston pin. When idling they sound almost like a diesel and if you drive close to a wall the echo makes you think something's going to fall out, very soon. Sounds a bit like piston slap or a little leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. Confusing because it's not a typical top end noise, nor a typical bottom end noise. Much worse just after an oil change. Stormy and I both have it.

:shock: Crap that's no good, how many klm's, mine done 55,000 now... good for rebuild though, bore, bore and bore :twisted:

Yeah, and sorry about the hijack Stormy. But we are talking about your Triton as well..........and you brought it up. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He did bring it up didn't he :lol: :lol: :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:48 pm

22,600 on mine now and had it since about 14,000. Just built a new Mitsu dealership less than 100m from my shop and was waiting for that. My warranty list is getting longer and longer... :roll:

Hmmmm, I wonder if they'd entertain a little bore and a crankshaft swap while they have it apart... Why not, they already have to replace the pistons. :twisted:

Oh, and your dual batteries look real neat Stormy (but I've already seen them and told you that :lol: :lol: )
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Won't hurt to ask ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:00 am

dan.batto wrote:Hi Storm Trooper,
Just wondering how you went installing the dual battery under the bonnet, I have noticed a lot of guys have been installing them in the tub but i dont want to do that. Also I did notice you have the petrol but i have the diesel, will that make the difference into installing it under the hood?
Just thought i would rack your brain and see what you know!
Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan, the diesels have a turbo charger... so under bonnet temperatures are higher than the petrol... batteries dont like temperature and if you have the room put it in the back... with the dc to dc charger it negates the voltage drop if you have it in the tub next to the aux battery. in saying that it does not make any difference installing under the hood you can get the trays for both petrol and diesel, how ever since the diesel has a larger start battery you end up with a smaller aux battery space. hope that helps.

NowForThe5th wrote:
Hey Stormy, have you booked in for the engine rebuild yet?

what rebuild, my dealer reckons their is nothing wrong, its normal for the v6..... :? :? how can i argue with that, everyone that i know that has a v6 including the ones that he had in the lot sound the same... well excluding salt..
Storm Trooper

Postby Storm Trooper on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 am

salt36 wrote:Oh Sorry for the Hijack Stormy :oops:

What rebuild 5th ?

no dramas....
Storm Trooper

Postby Storm Trooper on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:08 am

NowForThe5th wrote:22,600 on mine now and had it since about 14,000. Just built a new Mitsu dealership less than 100m from my shop and was waiting for that. My warranty list is getting longer and longer... :roll:

Hmmmm, I wonder if they'd entertain a little bore and a crankshaft swap while they have it apart... Why not, they already have to replace the pistons. :twisted:

Oh, and your dual batteries look real neat Stormy (but I've already seen them and told you that :lol: :lol: )

mines done 77000kms now and has not missed a beat engine wise... (knock on wood)... the only drama has been when on the night run with NT and losing the 4WD light on the dash... yet to have a look at it properly though.

oh and sorry for hijacking my own thread.... your starting to make me believe it was me ;)
Storm Trooper

Postby dan.batto on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:00 pm

hi stormy, thanks for the tip! always good to know these things, had no idea why else you would put it into the tub, another thing to consider...
cheers
dan.batto

Return to Member Build Ups