PM's MN ;)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

PM's MN ;)

Postby Pure Mongrel on Fri May 20, 2011 2:12 pm

After all the drama with the Stealer (well almost all, I am taking legal action ... ), I can finally get to building up my 2011 MN GLXR.

Today I got a canopy, sliding floor and boxes installed.

Click to view larger picture

"Before"

"After"

Now I would have put in draws and installed the fold out side access trade canopy, but I have a dog. Now as this stupid mutt is too big to fit with draws, and would suffocate without sliding windows I had to rethink how to set up the back of the tub.

So the idea is that the slide is flexible in terms of storage. I got tie down points put along the sides so I can change where I put the fridge(s), storage boxes, dog, etc.

The side boxes have a simple lid at the moment and I need to figure out how to keep them closed for off road work, but before that I need to figure out where to install the dual batteries, 12V points, air compressor, etc. There is actually a gap big enough for a battery between the wheel arch and the edge of the box, but not big enough for the battery to be in a battery box. I need to figure out the cost, etc of install two batteries, one in each space.

But this is the fun bit! :D
Last edited by Pure Mongrel on Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty!"
An adaption from an American Civil War statement that seems very apt for the way things are done these days! "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"
Pure Mongrel

Re: PM's MN ;)

Postby 4wd26 on Fri May 20, 2011 3:09 pm

I like the side boxes.
good looking setup
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Fri May 20, 2011 3:27 pm

i agree 26. i would like to know more about them. :D

re the floor, i think you would want a back on it. otherwise you would pull it out and everything would fall forward and that would drive me nuts....
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri May 20, 2011 3:37 pm

You could use the ultima sealed unit batteries and just by a cradle to secure them to the floor
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 20, 2011 6:44 pm

I like this concept but I was surprised at how much space you lose with the sliding floor. I've looked at those before at opposite lock and I'm sure the ones I looked at sat much lower/closer to the floor?

What brand/model etc is the one you've installed there?

The boxes look quite neat and tidy too. I got stuck on what to do down the sides if I got the tray slide and you may have worked it out for me. What did you pay for the boxes? Was that a custom thing or are they available ready made from somewhere?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Buy some tools Dave :lol: Its pretty easy
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 pm

I have more tools than I have time to use mate, just no room to use them and no time (oops already said that) to build stuff. If it wasn't for all the tools I probably wouldn't need a tray slide... :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Time :? I remember that once :cry:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pure Mongrel on Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm

I got the canopy, slide and boxes from Caddy storage systems. http://www.caddystorage.com.au/

I went with them after I visited their workshop in Parkinson and saw vehicles they were working on for St. Johns Ambulance and other companies. All the stuff I saw get done was custom to suit the needs of the vehicle and all the gear I saw in their show room was rock solid. Plus with all the numb nuts I have dealt with lately, it was good to speak to people that actually know what they are doing and can answer your questions right there and then.

They also do dual batteries, so I will be getting them to install that for me too when I scrape some dollars together.

The side boxes cost me $250 each and are very sturdy. The slide cost $1,000 and is not only sturdy but once locked into place does not rattle ... at all! :D Caddy's build them in Sydney.

They custom built the lids for the boxes for me. I think I might get gas struts to hold them down, have not decided yet. A lot will depend on how I set up the dual batteries and air compressor.

If not for the need to be able to cart my stupid mutt around, I would have got the draw system, that when coupled with those side boxes, creates on flat floor above them. Again very solid stuff. Unfortunately at 400mm high for the lowest version, it left not enough room. (I knew I should have got a friggin Jack Russel!)

I got 8 tie down points installed on the slide so I can tie down fridges and storage boxes. There is a gap at the front that I want to fill, it's not much but I fear the dog will get his paw stuck. Will ponder what to put there. (Maybe put a tool box at that end?)

With the canopy, the sliding floor makes like much easier and I can now lock my tools and materials in the back and free up the back seat for number one son :D
An adaption from an American Civil War statement that seems very apt for the way things are done these days! "When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"
Pure Mongrel

Postby Pure Mongrel on Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Speaking of said mutt. This is him sitting in the back.

Even with no draws, sitting his head is above the roof! :shock:

He is lucky he is such a good dog and a member of the family ... :twisted:
Pure Mongrel

Return to Member Build Ups