Buddah's MN GL-R Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Buddah's MN GL-R Build

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Thought I'd better start a build thread as I have had the new bus for a little over 12 months now, I originally purchased the it as a tow vehicle so things started off pretty slowly, but the 4WD bug has bitten so now I'm really starting to get stuck in to the mods.

This is fresh out of the Showroom, via Bridgestone to swap over the H/Ts for D694LT All Terrains, and the local trimming place for a Tarp.

Click to view larger picture

After a run to Snug Falls south of Hobart, was only a couple weeks old at this point and the sacrificial OEM bash plates were well and truely cooked after this run.

I started to realise at this point that this site was going to cost me a lot of money :lol:
buddah

Buddah's MN GL-R Build

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I put on an Over Lip Tub Liner and a ML Sports Bar I grabbed off tassie_ml, then on a recent trip to Melbourne I was lucky enough to find a TJM Store that had a RB6 Rear Bar in stock.

Some pics of the install:

I was surprised how heavy these things are, but I couldnt wait for a mate to come around to give me a hand so I decided to get stuck in to it by myself, if I had to do another one I would definately be waiting for someone to give me a hand, it was a pain in the butt by myself, took about 1hr to fit using the jack to get it in to position.

Covered the holes in the rear of the tub with some Narva reflectors.
buddah

Re: Buddah's MN GL-R Build

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Keep it coming mate, good stuff.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Next on the list was an XROX bullbar, I had been looking at one of these for a while so I was rapt when Opposite Lock opened in Hobart, went and saw the guys in there who give me a pretty good deal.

Getting the bar assembled

These things are like a Meccano set, think it took me about half hour to just unpack the bar and bolt on the wings.

Next job was to mark out the cut line, pray that the measurements are right, throw caution to the wind and hook in to it with the Angle Grinder :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nudge Bar removed ready for marking out

Post Angle Grinder

Lower bumper removed ready for removal of inner guard supports and OEM washer bottle

Bar Mounts installed, there were only 2 holes that required drilling, the rest used existing threaded holes :D

Final Product
buddah

Postby salt36 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice Buddah, I like the GL-R grille and the TJM rear bar :D

I would prefer a TJM rear but they don't make for the ML anymore? :(
salt36
Valued Contributor

Buddah's MN GL-R Build

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Passenger Side view

I'm pretty happy how it all turned out and the XROX bar certainly gives the Triton a unique look, haven't seen any others down here in Tassie either. The bar is also rock solid and very well made.

I wasnt all that impressed with the instructions that came with the XROX bar, marking out the cut involved measuring different points along the front of the bumper then joining the dots with masking tape :o. Mine turned out pretty much spot on, but I think it would be a lot easier with a template.

The other thing that surprised me was the washer bottle replacement that was supplied with the bar, it looked more like a wine cask with a pump attached than a washer bottle. I didn't waste my time putting the bag in and headed off to Super Cheap to pick up one of the Universal Washer Bottles that tassie_ML used and mounted it behind the battery.

Washer Bottle position

I wanted to use the OEM pump, so just used a spade bit to make the right size hole in the bottom of the bottle and some Araldite to seal it in. Both the OEM wiring loom and the Water hose reach around to this location.
buddah

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks Cowboy - Will keep it coming as fast at the funds allow :D , its very addictive!

salt36 wrote:Nice Buddah, I like the GL-R grille and the TJM rear bar :D

I would prefer a TJM rear but they don't make for the ML anymore? :(

Salt - Yeah I like the look of the TJM rear bar, also liked the price at $590. They don't list one for the ML but I have heard they will do a run for a minimum order of 10.
buddah

Postby buddah on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I have also fitted some Ironman Steel Sidesteps which seem to suit the XROX bar aswell which is a bonus. Will post some pics when I take them.

Next up in the coming month is:

- 265/75/16 Cooper ST's and associated engineering to make them legal (Getting fitted tomorrow if they arrive)
- 3mm Stanless Bash Plates, Thanks to Reeldreamer's group buy.
- Roo Lite 220XP's
- 2" Lift - Still undecided on this one, it is a pain being in Tassie and having to pay freight to get things here.
- Snorkel

Might have to give the credit card a breather after all that is finished!
buddah

Postby trumpy955 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Nice ute there Buddah, best colour too :P Looks like you did a great job with the xrox bar, cant wait to see more photos , especially the off road ones.

Trumpy
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby buddah on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Had some 265/75/16 Cooper S/T's fitted on Friday, Speedo is now spot on which makes me laugh. The truck in general seems to like the taller tyres, will be interesting to see what fuel numbers I get now.

Both me and a mate had new tyres fitted this week, we were pretty keen to do some testing, so we headed through Jefferies Track and had a bit of a play at Snug Tier which is south of Hobart. We were treated to some snow which made for some great scenery and photo opportunities.

My mates have got some good pics of my bus on their cameras, will post them up in the trip section when I get my hands on them.
buddah

Postby buddah on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:40 pm

trumpy955 wrote:Nice ute there Buddah, best colour too :P Looks like you did a great job with the xrox bar, cant wait to see more photos , especially the off road ones.

Trumpy

Thanks Trumpy, Was a tad nerve racking getting stuck in to a new car with the angle grinder! :)
buddah

Postby bikeman on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:59 am

How did you get on with the engineering to make the larger tyres legal???
bikeman

Postby bikeman on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 am

How did you get on with the engineering to make the larger tyres legal???
bikeman

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 am

Your bash plates should be there any day now!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby buddah on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm

bikeman wrote:How did you get on with the engineering to make the larger tyres legal???

Hey bikeman,

Currently going through the process, Are you in Tassie? If so I can give you the details of the Engineer I'm going through.

The largest legal tyre that can be fitted to the MN Triton has an outside diameter of 800mm. No tyre comes in that size, the closest is a 245/75/16 which is 799mm, but isn't a common size and you would be paying an arm and a leg if you can find them. 265/75/16s which are 804mm are very common and much more attractivly priced.

In Tassie we have a Modification form that needs to be filled out and sent to the Department of Transport, I was hoping that they would just approve a 4mm difference without having to go to an engineer. Unfortunately not. They sent out a letter in the mail stating that the larger tyres wouldnt be approved due to the NCOP. They also stated that they would keep the application on file for three months, in which time I could consult an engineer.

Talking to the engineer, he said that most tyres actually measure under their advertised outside diameter. In this case the Cooper S/T's were advertised at 807mm but measured 788mm vertically and 800mm exactly horizontally when fitted to the vehicle. As such the engineer has said he has no problems sigining off on the certification. The paper work is currently going through. Its probably going to cost me about $200 all up.

Coopers generally have a larger OD than other tyre brands, so you would probably find that some 265/75/16's would actually measure well under the 800mm limit.

I asked him about 33's and he said that they would not be approved without going through a proper stability test which would be around the $1000 mark, possibly cheaper if more than one car was done on the same day.

Form can be found here: http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/standards/vehicle_modifications

Cheers,
Buddah
buddah

Postby buddah on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 pm

reeldreamer wrote:Your bash plates should be there any day now!

Thanks mate, I've been keeping an eye out at work for them to show up, I think I've well and truely got value for money out of my OEM ones..
buddah

Return to Member Build Ups