jacksons single cab ml

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

jacksons single cab ml

Postby Jackson08ml on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:41 pm

hey all im new here and have been looking through most of your builds and have noticed a common denominator, there all dual cabs. so i thaught id start this build for something a little different. not even sure if anyone will be interested but well see.

i baught this 08 ml a few months ago for 15 grand, its a single cab manual 2.4lt petrol 2x4 with 30000 on the clock, im sort of kicking myself for not getting a 4x4 diesel but im only an aprentice carpenter and i really didnt want to take out a loan so ill just have to make do.

first pic is of the car at the dealers before i picked it up

Click to view larger picture

i was really happy with the interior it was the only one ive seen with the centre console and bucket seats ( opposed to the 3 seater) so i quickly got some neoprene seatcovers and some rubber mats all from burwood mitsubishi, i dont have a photo of the interior but ill get one real soon. i also installed a new pioneer headunit with orion 6 n 1/2 inch splits wit a 12 inch subwoofer behind the passenger seat, i guess its a p plater thing :s .

ill try and be picture heavy i know its a little more interesting,

this one is just a photo of it next to my old hilux i sold to a mate, its much longer but the shape of the triton is way better.

shortly after i baught it my boss got bogged next to me and slid into my rear with his tray and left this purdy scar
but i got it fixed real quick smart i couldnt stand looking at it

i have a pic but photo bucket is not being a bro. ill try tomorrow with the interior pics

i started to have trouble carrying timber for work, small lengths were fine but when i was carrying 6m lengths of timber it was a bit of a hassle having the timber so high in the air cause of the angle so i baught some steel( stupid me got it from bunnings at over twice the price it should have been) and took some mesurements and cut out the desired shape for a rear ladder bar.

then had a mate weld it up with some boots that i bolted to the tubs bed so it was easily removable so i could still load my bike.

i had an old toolbox that came with my hilux in the back but i was parked on an angle in the rain and it filled up with water from the bottom where it was bolted and broke my site radio, impact driver and my recipo but i managed to dry and salvage the cordless recipo and driver lucky!! so immediatly i started pricing up some tool boxes and had mw toolboxes custom fab up a box so it could fit over the wheel arch ( 1250 was the cheapest i could find im really happy with the product) i had a shelf put in too i have a few photos

and also a photo with my bike tied down its a really nice fit very happy

i was at tradeschool yesterday and thaught it would be funny to see what his landcruisers 33" tyres would look like on my car so we gave it a shot, just fit but i really dont think ill be buying 4x4 tyres haha, looks so tough though!

a nice comprimise for the lack of nice wheels and being quite poor atm saving for an apartment i just bought some primer and wattle gloss black spraypaint and spruced them up a bit,, before and after vv

thats pretty much it at the moment, ill need to extend the ladder bar 100mm so i can clear the new toolbox and fit more timber, apart from that im not too sure what else i can do too it, ive been desperatly trying to find a glxr bumper to put on it..

any ideas??
Jackson08ml

Re: jacksons single cab ml

Postby al coholic on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Welcome to the site mate. :D There are a few of us chippy's on here. You can aspire to be like us one day when you have your ticket :lol: :lol:

Re: Bumper.......I would just spray the one you have to match the ute. ;) Practically the same as the GLX-R apart from the fog lights

Enjoy
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 pm

just do what i did and get it sprayed, they rub it back so its all smooth like the rest of the car ;) and yes im still aspiring to be a chippy aswell, give me 3 weeks and i won't be aspiring anymore:lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Jackson08ml on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm

hah thanks mate not too long now ill be qualified march next year if all goes well.
ive been researching and i doubt anyone here has a base model haha, but in the glr and glxr the grille badge and bumper are sort of all in one where as mine its just the bumper and the badge+ grile is seperate, im good with a spray gun but im just not happy with the base model grill and there is no replacement or aftermarket options there... :cry:
my only option is a new bumper or custom make a grille..

i was also wondering if anyone knows if the mn bumper or grill would fit, i dont mind those either..
Jackson08ml

jacksons single cab ml

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 pm

There was a post yesterday by reeldreamer with links to grilles on eBay. Might be an option for you.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jackson08ml on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:There was a post yesterday by reeldreamer with links to grilles on eBay. Might be an option for you.

aahh i got really exited when i found the links but the ml one would only fit if i had the glxr bumper,

the mn one looks like it would fit perfectly but in the description it says it wont and i dont wanna risk it but thanks anyway.

i bet mitsubishi parts would be too expencive too.
Jackson08ml

Postby Jackson08ml on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:01 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:just do what i did and get it sprayed, they rub it back so its all smooth like the rest of the car ;) and yes im still aspiring to be a chippy aswell, give me 3 weeks and i won't be aspiring anymore:lol: :lol:

what did you do with your grille?? did you paint it or leave it black??
Jackson08ml

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 pm

i painted mine so it all matches 8-)have a look in my shed. the ml glxr front grill won't fit the headlights are different not sure about the mn glx might work they look very similar, but personally id just paint it. It cost $240 for a local spray paint place to do it.
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 pm

I was thinking of taking a punt on the MN grille for mine. I think I'd want it silver though. If that worked out then I suppose I'd have an MN GLXR grille spare. Not sure if you'd then need the bumper anyway though, it doesn't look like it'd fit into what you have?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jackson08ml on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I was thinking of taking a punt on the MN grille for mine. I think I'd want it silver though. If that worked out then I suppose I'd have an MN GLXR grille spare. Not sure if you'd then need the bumper anyway though, it doesn't look like it'd fit into what you have?

Yeah don't think it will. Thanks anyway though
Jackson08ml

Postby andyj on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Welcome to the site hope you enjoy the info available
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Return to Member Build Ups