Rojo's Triton mods

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Rojo's Triton mods

Postby Rojo on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Took delivery of 2011 MN MY Triton GLXR with Luxury Pack in Feb 2011. Have since added the following:

Stronger leaf springs, 35 lift rear, 25 lift front, Air bags rear
New Shocks all round
Replaced bucket with aluminium tray + tool boxes for slide on camper
Long range fuel tank 125 litres
TJM Bull Bar with Avenger Winch with rope line
Roof Console and GME radio/aerial

Next stage by end October:
Travelander slideon Camper
roof rack
dual battery system
Spots

Then its off to explore this great country of ours. Kimberleys 2012.

Rojo
Rojo

Re: Rojo's Triton mods

Postby Snooozy on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Rojo wrote:Took delivery of 2011 MN MY Triton GLXR with Luxury Pack in Feb 2011. Have since added the following:

Stronger leaf springs, 35 lift rear, 25 lift front, Air bags rear
New Shocks all round
Replaced bucket with aluminium tray + tool boxes for slide on camper
Long range fuel tank 125 litres
TJM Bull Bar with Avenger Winch with rope line
Roof Console and GME radio/aerial

Next stage by end October:
Travelander slideon Camper
roof rack
dual battery system
Spots

Then its off to explore this great country of ours. Kimberleys 2012.

Rojo

Congratulations on the new wheels, you have a very capable truck with the Triton. :)
If you hang around here for a while you will add to that mods list for sure ;)

Not sure if you have seen these threads but with the airbags it would be worth checking out. Not trying to scare you but you need to be aware of the possible implications of that setup. Note that most of the problems do seemed to have occurred while towing & with a variety on different makes of dual cab. It may depend on the overhang with your slide-on camper.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8939&hilit=bent+chassis#p178725
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6435&hilit=chassis+bend
there is other discussion on this topic, just do a search & you will find more.
enjoy the trip :mrgreen:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SecondEye on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Was that issue with the slide on camper too? I thought it was only improperly set up air cushion suspension.
SecondEye

Postby Snooozy on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm not sure if there is likely to be a problem with the slide-on, the issues I am aware of have been with a towed camper.
The reason I posted that was to at least inform Rojo that there is potential for a problem to arise if the tray has been extended & the weight is close to limit.
I would hate to see him have a problem on the trip not being aware of the airbag issues.
At least if you are aware you can take steps to avoid problems eg lower pressure in bags.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rojo on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks guys for your comments and advice. The all up weight of the Travelander camper will be around the 700kg so that would be OK from the specs, etc. Travelander advise that their unit has been set up on Tritons previously with no problems.

The main reason we went for the slide on is that we wanted to avoid towing anything at all.

Spoke to Mech engineer for info and advice and gave him the specs as well. He reported that all would be OK.

The rear springs have been strengthened so the airbags in fact are more levelling devices than load carrying.

The tray's dimensions are 1845mm long 1870mm wide which is about 250mm longer than the bucket.

Thanks again will also do some more checking to confirm engineering.

Regards
Rojo
Rojo

Rojo's Triton mods

Postby ratstriton on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Look forward seeing the travelander on the triton as it's one of the slide on camper's we have been looking at.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rojo on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Have just updated the shed with some photos of the complete unit - Triton GLXR Dual Cab with mods and Travelander DC2 (smaller Dual Cab model). Used the Travelander a couple of times and now fairly confident with opening and closing. First time (wouldn't you know it) was in pouring rain on the way back from picking it up in Wollongong - it took some doing, we just simply weren't used to how it operated. Once you work out that its just like packing a suitcase and you need to make sure everything is set up properly, then its a breeze. About 10 minutes from close to open and ready for sleeping; about 15 minutes to pack away. This doesn't include the additional awnings etc of course. The fridge is probably on the small side but we have an additional Engel 35lt Fridge/Freezer we will take on long trips.

Hope this helps if you are still making a decision.
Rojo

Postby Rojo on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh I forgot to add this bit. We are running around 60 psi in the Firestone AirBags and that seems to keep the system level and make the ride good. You certainly need to adjust driving habits to accommodate the extra load and the springing. On the highway we travel at about 90 - 95 kph for best economy. Incidentally we get about 15lt/100k around town and about 10lt/100k on the highway, so that is pretty good we reckon.

The next mod is to fit some BF Goodrich A/Ts to replace the factory supplied tyres before we tackle the big trips.

Rojo
Rojo

Return to Member Build Ups