g_mac's build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

g_mac's build

Postby g_mac on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Now that we’re starting to install a few accessories I figure it’s finally time to start a build up thread. We’re planning to tackle the Cape August/September 2012, and the wish list seems endless, so I’ll just add to this as I go.

Ok, from the beginning…

February 2010:
This is the day we picked up the new ute – stock, with only a factory rear diff-lock.

Click to view larger picture

March 2010:
A couple of weeks after this a Rhino-liner was sprayed onto the tray. Works well, really happy with it - although approx 1 year down the track and it’s quite faded and has a lot less ‘grip’ than it originally had. I guess they’re probably more designed to use with a tonneau cover, hard-lid or canopy, which would prevent the fading.

At about 200km’s it was off to ARB to install a UHF (iCom IC-400 remote head) and Aerial (RFI CD5000) from Prestige Communications. While it was there they also installed some HID-converted IPF 900XS spotlights and an ARB Air Compressor under the front passenger seat.

April 2011:
1 year later, and not much has happened accessories-wise. After much research regarding tyre sizes, brands, AT vs MT, we bought a set of Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 LT255/65R17. We kept it at this size to try and stay legal. I’ve been pretty impressed with them so far, they seem to handle mud well, and don’t seem too bad on sand and bitumen.

May 2011:
From here, we purchased a set of Baysie’s famous indestructible bash-plates. These have saved us on many occasions, and I would definitely purchase them again.

October 2011:
After a couple of PMs and kind offers from fellow forum members, we purchased a Safari Snorkel and Chill came over to help me with the install.

It was an early start (well for me, apparently he’s always up at this time :lol:) and before we knew it I was drilling into the side of my pride & joy…

It became quite addictive, and before long I had speed-holes the whole way up the side of the guard:

The finished product:

A HUGE thanks to Chill for lending his tools and time for the install, and talking me into drilling the first few holes :D Absolute champion.

After the successful install, we took the ute up to Conondale National Park for the weekend, but after an off-loading detour (you know the ones ;)) we didn't make it to our campsite until 2am :twisted:. The following day we ran into froggymicb and family enjoying a weekend away as well.

Such a nice area up there, although after reading how easily the Hilux rolled on the Glasshouse trip report, this had me a little worried for a second…

As did these little fellas...

But back to the build-up, and the next project on the list is to make a start on the barwork. I’m awaiting delivery of the ARB Deluxe Winch Bar and Rear Step Tow-bar. The DIY bug has bitten, so anyone with any tips, tricks or useful info with the install of these, I’m all ears :D
2010 MN GLXR... I shall call her 'Tray-cey'

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
g_mac

Re: g_mac's build

Postby Froggy on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:34 am

Don't install them, give them to me! :mrgreen
Looks like you found some more challenging tracks then we did. All the dirty weekends tracks were tame except for plenty of overhanging branches.
Ran into the rangers who told us to not bother with some of it cause its overgrown.
Froggy

g_mac's build

Postby g_mac on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:05 am

Yeah the overgrown tracks seemed to be the more challenging ones, although we got the pin striping that went with it :S

g_mac

Postby g_mac on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:41 pm

The Unifilter turned up in today's post. I couldn't wait to try it, so decided to fit it in the car-park while the misses went dress shopping for Melbourne Cup.

What a difference in sound this thing makes! :twisted: Almost a little too noisey, as when I drive it normally all you can hear is this ridiculous spooling sound through the snorkel head :lol:. I didn't really notice any difference performance-wise after installing the snorkel & Unifilter, but I didn't really buy them as a performance mod, so not disappointed about that.

One thing that had me scratching my head was that the sticker on the filter said 'ML & MN 3.2'. Is there a difference between the 3.2 & 2.5 filters? I definitely ordered the 2.5 MN filter (they were listed separately on their eBay listings), but it seemed to fit in fine...

g_mac

Postby coxy47 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

As long as it seals in the arbox properly i wouldnt be concerned. Im not certain but there is no reason not to use the same airbox for both models.

I like the carpark fitment. Thats dedication :lol:
coxy47

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:24 pm

They are the same between the two models so nothing to worry about.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

g_mac's build

Postby g_mac on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 am

Awesome - that's a relief :D thanks CD

g_mac

Postby g_mac on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm

We received a package in our mailbox this afternoon Click to view larger picture

So once we'd finished eating dinner off it...

...we decided to open it to see what was inside

Haven't had a chance to pull the bar completely out of the packaging in case I need to relocate it. But I've started pulling the nudge bar, spotties & UHF off the front in preparation for the install.

I quite like the look without the nudge-bar

Will update with pics once I start the install

g_mac

Postby fridgie on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Love the dinner table!! :lol: :lol:

Gonna be a fun time installing that ;) Give yourself a full day and half a carton and she'll be right :twisted:

If you need a hand or any tools let me know ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby dan.batto on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:30 pm

thats going to be lotsa fun to install!! :D oh and im really like your avatar thingy!!! VERY 8-)
dan.batto

Postby g_mac on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Oh Fridgie how I wish you sent that message earlier in the week! :lol: Definitely not a 1-man job! Really starting to wish I paid the install fee by now :)

I've been spending between 4-6 hours each night this week since Tuesday pulling the car apart, progressing a couple of steps, putting the car back together for work, come home, pull the car apart... repeat process... I'm on my third night of that and I've only just been able to mount the bar tonight (no wings, air deflectors etc yet).

I didn't realise how hard it was going to be to tap into the lights & indicators on the driver's side after the snorkel was installed... found a green wire running up the side taped to about 40 other wires... decided to give it a punt as I didn't have any voltmeter/test light - luckily it was the indicator wire I was after :twisted:

On the plus side - I a Sidchrome 69pce Socket/Spanner at Bunnings (Lifetime Guarantee etc.) - RRP $300. Online prices (justtools etc.) all seem to be about $250, but Bunnings had a whole pile there advertised for $149, so I grabbed one. Seems pretty good for what I'll be using it for, except the 1/2" wrench keeps buggering up, so I'll have to take it back :(

This is the only real picture I have of the bar for now:

Just have a couple of holes to drill & wings air/deflector, re-connect aerial, then do it all over again when the winch comes! :lol: rear bar should only be about a week away too 8-)

g_mac

Postby fridgie on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't wanna know what I've spent on sidchrome :roll: 3x socket sets, metric and imperial ring spanners, shifters.....

The winch is DEFINITELY a 2man job!

I'd leave it as is for now till the weekend, give yourself time to finish it in one hit. :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

g_mac's build

Postby RossyB07 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:08 am

fridgie wrote:
The winch is DEFINITELY a 2man job!

I 2nd that lol
RossyB07

Postby coxy47 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 am

Sounds like a fun job :lol:

Its looking good though.
coxy47

Postby g_mac on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Time for another update - I didn't get a chance to work on the bull-bar much over the weekend, although I did move it up a little bit, as I wasn't happy with the large gap between the bar and the flares - it was also rubbing quite badly on the bumper and taking paint off. I dropped into ARB this afternoon to have a chat to the guys, they told me to bring it in and they'll make a couple of slight adjustments to the flares & bar to ensure it's sitting in the best position.

Whilst I was in ARB, I picked up the new rear-bar!! decided to give it a crack tonight :twisted:. Ended up getting everything finished except the electrics, but I won't need this for a while, as I don't tow anything - the bar is basically just for protection and a rear recovery point.

I was super-keen for the beach driving course on the weekend, but as I didn't have any rear recovery points I figured it was pretty pointless turning up - missed it by 1 DAY :evil: sounded like a great day.

Some pics of the rear bar:

That's it for now. Was hoping to get the winch & suspension in before Xmas, but I'm fast running out of time and money, and trying to keep some aside for the LCMP training weekend. Definitely want at least the suspension by then.

g_mac

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 am

She's coming along nicely mate :D completely different rig to when I last saw her....looking good 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 am

8-) 8-)

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am

looking good alright
Lee-thal

Postby g_mac on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Just thought I'd post a couple more pics from in the daylight of the new barwork.

The Ultimate Suspension lift was ordered today through Lewis at Jonlin - can't wait to have it fitted before Xmas! Just worried it's going to make the tyres look even smaller now :lol:

g_mac

Postby g_mac on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Also, does anyone know where to get the little black plastic fillers that the GLX's have when the rear-bar is removed to fill in the holes.

I'm positive I've read it on the forum here and I've been searching over and over but I don't even know what they're called? :lol:

g_mac

g_mac's build

Postby Custom Offroad on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 pm

The transformation is almost complete! Looks awesome mate.
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby Sky Miner on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Your gonna luv that Ultimate Suspention Lift :D I now have to stand on a pallet (that came with the kit as a bonus :lol: ) to reach into the engine bay ;) and im no short arse either :lol: so youll see & feel the difference.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby fraz91 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Looking good g-mac! The colour coded rear bar looks fantastic, if only they'd coloured the tow-hitch as well. Looks like you did a pretty good job on the front bar as well. Well done considering you did it on your own :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby fridgie on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Looking good mate 8-)

I'd prob ask Lee-thal about those black thingamywhatsitdoodahs ;)

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Homer on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:10 am

looks very nice colour coded like that, it's come along nicely 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups