Tail Gate Central locking kit fitted, works great!

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby Fruity on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:41 am

Just installed the tailgate locking kit and it was a pretty easy install overall. It had all the joys of running cable under the tray and up into the cabin but it wasn't that bad overall!

A little bit of filing required for the kit but nothing that was hard.

Door now locks great when you push the button and really feels secure. Kit cost around $150 delivered I can get more info if anyone needs it.
Fruity

Re: Tail Gate Central locking kit fitted, works great!

Postby wdw on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 am

photos please...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wdw

Postby dan.batto on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 am

I know there is another thread on this in here somewhere but what are the details of urs? And yes do you have photo's?
Also does your car lock with the tailgate down? I know with the tri that the doors don't lock unless they are fully closed so was curious.
dan.batto

Postby salt36 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:27 pm

I think the other thread was for the central locking on the canopies.

I am interested in this also as I am planning on making a canopy and would be handy to central lock it as well.
Might be too expensive though.....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby patto826 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm

G'day mate would be interested in hearing about your canopy locking mechanism.
patto826

Postby odie602r on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

Fruity wrote:Just installed the tailgate locking kit and it was a pretty easy install overall. It had all the joys of running cable under the tray and up into the cabin but it wasn't that bad overall!

A little bit of filing required for the kit but nothing that was hard.

Door now locks great when you push the button and really feels secure. Kit cost around $150 delivered I can get more info if anyone needs it.

Yes please - my canopy windows lock (manually) but I'm sure could be broken easily if someone really wanted to pull hard on the tailgate. A central - locking tailgate therefore is rather appealing
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fruity on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

I don't have any photos of it at this stage but it could be easily manufactured if you could be bothered to get all the bits and do some folding cutting filing , make up a quick loom etc.., the kit I bought cost just over $140 or so I think so.

It uses a normal central locking actuator to slide some folded sheetmetal in the way of the door handle mechanism so you can not open the door.

So now when you press the button all the doors release including the tailgate, if you are only opening the tailgate all the other doors will re-arm as per standard.

I am still really happy with it and there is no way you can open the door without smashing the back window or picking the window lock etc. This would still mean anything large that can not fit out the window can not be taken!
Fruity

Postby GPS98 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi

I just found this on internet from England...looks like it fits Triton and price isnt too bad.

http://www.trucktopsuk.com/Mitsubishi-L ... 197-31.htm

They have fitting instructions but I'm not sure if the wiring is the same as we have.
GPS98

Postby desblaze on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey Fuity, Where did you get the locking kit from??
desblaze

Postby Fruity on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Pretty sure I got it from the same site as the post above yours - - delivered from the UK.
Fruity

locking the rear tail gate mn glx

Postby sydneymark on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

now this was not something that was going to be an issue if i had left the tray as an open unit or with a tarp, but now I have put a ARB canopy on it i would like to be able to lock the tailgate up.
i can lock all the windows on the canopy but think with a little force the tailgate would still easily open, then a neerdowell could easily get access to any goodies i have in the back, which could kind of spoil a camping holiday or similar :cry:

any suggestions?
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: locking the rear tail gate mn glx

Postby har05l on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Please try search next time ;) , took me 10 sec

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=10311&p=321600&hilit=Tail+gate+lock#p224057
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gaspode on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Not pretty, but it would be a start for a creative mind.

http://www.google.es/patents/US4819461
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks fellas. Locking it now and will merge later.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby sydneymark on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 am

har05l wrote:Please try search next time ;) , took me 10 sec

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=10311&p=321600&hilit=Tail+gate+lock#p224057

sorry about that, i really should know better
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 am

Not having a go at you Mark ;) , I guess if you hang around here too much you remember a wide variety of past topics and almost daily a new thread will be started about something already covered :roll:

Anyway I hope you have luck in getting something to do the job :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 am

wow, ordered the locking kit from the UK on the 10th, and it's just arrived today, 5 days later!
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Ordering stuff from the UK is great, good delivery times. No mucking around and reasonable prices. Have ordered car parts before and had the same delivery times.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby sydneymark on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Today I fitted the rear tailgate lock, but not wired it up yet. Needed a fair bit of fettling to get it to fit, but should work fine.
My only concern is that the lock might slide across if I drive a long way on a rough surface.

this is it before any cutting and filing, the mounting point indicated by the red arrow is not there on my vehicle, perhaps the UK models have a different tail gate setup. As can be seen in the last photo, I drilled a hole and used a nut and bolt
Click to view larger picture

this is what it looks like now

this is the inside of the tailgate, the locking system slides across the black bit of plastic as seen in the lower left hand side

All fitted

Exterior showing the new nut/bolt
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tricky151 on Mon May 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Hey guys, thought id share with you my attempts at creating a lock for my tailgate. It uses the same principal as above in locking the handle by one of the tabs inside the tailgate. Originally i did buy a trucklok from wolf 4x4 however they had run out of stock for the MN. I thought id give it a crack myself. All of this cost me 16.50 so far, alls left to do is wire it in. So unless i spend $260 on wiring I'm sure I've come out with a win.

So essentially i have bent sheet metal into a shape in order to hold a simple bolt style lock and the actuator. I tapped a hole in the bolt lock and connected it with a longer screw since it wasn't long enough to reach the actuator without getting in the way.

once the actuator is set off it essentially blocks the handle from going up. this is what it looks like installed. sorry for the poor lighting i hope you can still see the general idea of it. Ive also added some foam on the back to stop it from rattling on the inside of the tailgate. thats the black stuff on the back you might be able to see

I have seen someone fire pins into the side of the tailgate to the tub and i believe this would be a much better way to install a tailgate lock, however the gaps were too great for this actuator so i may change it down the track. I feel this would work better because, with my lock, if someone still wanted to yank hard enough they would still be able to break the handle. Then you'd have a broken handle as well as your canopy window :cry: however, It would stop the opportune thief hopefully.

Let me know what you guys think, if you want any info on it ill try my best to answer questions
tricky151

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Have you wired it into the same circuit as the central locking or is it running independent of that?

The only thing missing for me in terms of understanding the pictures is a shot of what it looks like when the handle is lifted up - might be a two person photo that so I can see why you might not have taken one. If I could get off my bum and go and look at mine I'm sure it would make more sense. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tricky151 on Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm

I will be wiring it into the same circuit as the central locking. I also do have a comparison of what it looks like with the handle up.

closed

open

tricky151

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Well tricky this is a fantastic solution...I get how it works completely...Dave will catch up soon lol...
You know it's good when you think to yourself
well why didn't I think of that ...
Good job mate
now where do you buy the actuator..
viking shippy

Postby tricky151 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

I got the actuator from jay car for 12 dollars. but good luck only spending 12 dollars when you look at all the things you could buy
tricky151

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

tricky151 wrote:I got the actuator from jay car for 12 dollars. but good luck only spending 12 dollars when you look at all the things you could buy

The remote control toys always get my attention...ah....for my son....really..
viking shippy

Next

Return to Exterior Mods