Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby joelzo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 am

Ok so ive been looking for a snorkel for a few weeks on and off.
This seller kept coming up, was a bit skeptical as they seemed really cheap. After contacting the guy it turns out he only lived 10 minutes away so went and checked it yesterday.
They look really good and comes with everything you need.
Heres the pic from the ad
Click to view larger picture

Not sure if others saw the listing or not but it was listed as ML, but it fits perfectly on the MN too.
hmmm 255 character limit hey...
joelzo

Postby joelzo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:27 am

I got straight in to installing yesterday arvo. Took atleast 4 hours, it is a bit of a challenge, more so than I anticipated.

Came with the template for all holes

Must mention though this one doesnt come with instructions!

Should have taken a few more pics in between the sweating, cutting and swearing. But i can say i did it all with the guard on the car.
Did have to move the coolant bottle as usual no drama there just bolted it using the radiator shroud bolt location.
Very happy with the result now all for $100 bucks! He reduced the price as it was the last one and had a minor scratch.

And i did as about a group buy price too 8-)

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
joelzo

Re: Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Postby silverbull on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 am

Hey Joelzo, which seller was it?
silverbull

Postby joelzo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey silver

His username is ocamindus

Pretty sure i got the last one in stock but he said hell have more by end of month
joelzo

Postby silverbull on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks, I've sent him a message to see if he's getting any for my model. I was looking at buying this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Snorkel- ... 2ebce488fe

but then found what looks like exact same one for $80 less via this guy:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-Kit- ... 337323c8fb

but your guy looks even cheaper again, looks like they could be from same factory in china :D
silverbull

Postby wneildunc on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi, You getting any wind noise from it ?. :?:
wneildunc

Postby Josh_Triton on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:26 pm

I think I'll stick to getting one of one of the forum sponsors on here. Pretty sure boycee had em for cheapish
Petrol power.
Josh_Triton

Postby joelzo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:19 pm

wneildunc wrote:Hi, You getting any wind noise from it ?. :?:

I get no wind noise at all that i can notice. I can certainly hear the intake sound though, think this is made noisier with the K&N filter though.
joelzo

Postby joelzo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Silverbull

I couldnt get your pics to on the link but you never know, could be the same! Pretty sure theyre a copy of the safari, but I havent seen an Mn or Ml safari snorkel in person to compare.
joelzo

Postby sydneymark on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Thought I might as well post here since it seemed most relevant and no point in starting a new ebay snorkel thread...

This one is from the eBay seller Juleslife4x4, they also have a website and seem to be aussie based http://www.julelife4x4.com.au

I will update with more photos but for a start the delivery time was awesome, I bought it on the 12th March and it arrived today, 14th March, a lot of 'real life' businesses could learn from this guy

Cost was $159 postage included
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm not knocking those who've bought the "Ebay" snorkels however, you do need to be aware of the fact that, to some extent. you get what you pay for.

Like many others I bought an "Ebay" snorkel for the Pajero and, since I'm not a fan of the 'black plastic' look, then proceeded to paint it. Now, since it's my business, I'm more than aware of the different qualities of these cheaper plastics and I prepared accordingly. Heated, washed and used a spirit based cleaner rather than the usual Prepsol, then a special primer for 'problem' plastics, double primed then base and clear. The finish still shows evidence of the porosity of the plastic and will need to be re-done.

The problem is that some of these suppliers are using a lower grade of plastic and some are also using a mix of recycled plastic as well. The result is a product that looks the goods, passes the run over by a Patrol test and may even survive the Australian sun but ultimately isn't the same quality. Whether this is worth another $500, maybe $600, I would question. Certainly not in my book.

So, I'm happy with my "Ebay" snorkel (or at least I will be once I finish repainting it, but I'm aware of the differences and I'm prepared to live with them.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby GLRkenny on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:I'm not knocking those who've bought the "Ebay" snorkels however, you do need to be aware of the fact that, to some extent. you get what you pay for.

Like many others I bought an "Ebay" snorkel for the Pajero and, since I'm not a fan of the 'black plastic' look, then proceeded to paint it. Now, since it's my business, I'm more than aware of the different qualities of these cheaper plastics and I prepared accordingly. Heated, washed and used a spirit based cleaner rather than the usual Prepsol, then a special primer for 'problem' plastics, double primed then base and clear. The finish still shows evidence of the porosity of the plastic and will need to be re-done.

The problem is that some of these suppliers are using a lower grade of plastic and some are also using a mix of recycled plastic as well. The result is a product that looks the goods, passes the run over by a Patrol test and may even survive the Australian sun but ultimately isn't the same quality. Whether this is worth another $500, maybe $600, I would question. Certainly not in my book.

So, I'm happy with my "Ebay" snorkel (or at least I will be once I finish repainting it, but I'm aware of the differences and I'm prepared to live with them.

So from what I read the only issue you have is the finish?
I got mine to save my engine not look good, so from a practicality point of view I see no difference
GLRkenny

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:37 pm

No, what I'm saying is that the plastic isn't as high quality as the 'name' brands. I don't know if that will or won't make a difference after long term exposure. I suspect not and even if it did, the price premium isn't justified. I think that as long as people are aware of the difference then they can make their own choices, just as I did.

We have similar problems with body kits that the boy racers buy cheap on Ebay then bring in to us to have colour matched to their cars. They can't understand when we quote a higher price to do an Ebay kit than to do an OEM one. The difference with the snorkel is that it's a textured finish and the porosity is hidden in the texture. On smooth finish items it is almost immediately apparent.

I bought mine to save my engine, too. Making it look good is just what I do. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby tondo12 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 pm

what would you pay to have a snorkel installed. if i took my along to get fitted, anyone know?
tondo12

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Depends on snorkel/vehicle.

For most Tritons probably in the range $200-$300

For a Safari type in a Pajero, Safari say 5 hours so expect $500 plus
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby craigleonie3499 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I got my snorkel of ebay from a seller on the gold coast. Plastic seems fine sucks hard. Paid like $100 bucks for it. I just couldn't justify the cost of a safari or similar product. It may not be for everyone but for those who may be on a budget it is a good option. For the installation instructions i went to the ironman website and downloaded it. It helped heaps. For pics of my snorkel install it is on my build thread.
craigleonie3499

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 pm

So I found a 4wd action magazine from ages ago, scanned the pages into the scanner then converted to images hence the watermarks. Helped me out a lot so hopefully others get a good guide from it too.

ChrisK.ACT

Postby Mudme on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm

good work mate, i have the julelife 4x4 snorkel which took me and a mate a couple of hours to do looks good and the price is right ;) i did have my heart set on a tjm one because it does look better but at a $500 difference I'll get over it
:)
Mudme

Postby ChrisK.ACT on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Likewise mudme! Too much money for almost the same thing.
ChrisK.ACT

Postby Mudme on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:28 am

its the same just a better design, if i did it again i would buy the tjm and fit it myself as on its own its about $300 + $400 fitting
Mudme

Postby tkp83 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

sydneymark wrote:Thought I might as well post here since it seemed most relevant and no point in starting a new ebay snorkel thread...

This one is from the eBay seller Juleslife4x4, they also have a website and seem to be aussie based http://www.julelife4x4.com.au

I will update with more photos but for a start the delivery time was awesome, I bought it on the 12th March and it arrived today, 14th March, a lot of 'real life' businesses could learn from this guy

Cost was $159 postage included

Hey sydneymark,

just thought I'd follow up to see how you went with the install of the snorkel. I'm looking at getting the same one,

cheers
tkp83

Postby sydneymark on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 pm

So far so good. Drilled all the exterior holes today hope to finish it off tomorrow.
Like almost everyone has said about the templates from all the suppliers they are out. By up to 1cm in this case.
Will post more once I have finished the install.
So far I would recommend julelife. The kit seems comprehensive and well made. Time will tell.
Drilling that 90mm hole with the hole saw wasn't quite as hard as I thought. Lol
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm

sydneymark wrote:So far so good. Drilled all the exterior holes today hope to finish it off tomorrow.
Like almost everyone has said about the templates from all the suppliers they are out. By up to 1cm in this case.
Will post more once I have finished the install.
So far I would recommend julelife. The kit seems comprehensive and well made. Time will tell.
Drilling that 90mm hole with the hole saw wasn't quite as hard as I thought. Lol

Use some sikaflex around the snorkel outer guard hole and fastening holes..protects it ..from road engine/vibration..and make shure that the steel where you cut the inner guard is not sharp and well clear of the snorkel rubber tube as I have seen cases were they have worn through in time..and be shure to paint all bare steel edges before assembly ..
Last edited by viking shippy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby sydneymark on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:37 pm

"drill a nice 105mm hole on the inside" they said
"how hard can it be?" they said

just as well no swearing is allowed on this site, otherwise.......... :evil:

nothing to do with what make of snorkel you are fitting, drilling that inside hole is a major pita on a my13 mn glx

more words and photos to come later this weekend when i am feeling up to it
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 pm

The inside hole aligns up with an existing 5mm hole so you can centre it...
viking shippy

Next

Return to Exterior Mods