Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Postby sydneymark on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:01 pm

todays update, stuffed up fitting the angled bracket big time, the kit comes with rivets, however the angle of the bracket prevents my rivet gun getting nice and flush, was able to drill two of them out but had to pull the third out.
am seeing a mate on monday to get some nutserts so that should fix them, also the bracket and snorkel head will cover up the bodgeyness.

when drilling the inside hole you use an existing hole as a guide for the hole saw, however once you get through the first bit of panel there are other structural bends and angles that the saw catches up on, I ended up using a air powered reciprocal saw

dog helping me unpack
Click to view larger picture

gratuitous pic of holes in car

inside the engine bay

the other side showing guide hole in the middle of pic

windscreen pillar stuff up
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:36 pm

viking shippy wrote:The inside hole aligns up with an existing 5mm hole so you can centre it...

Just keep drilling slowly with cutting fluid and hang on....
viking shippy

Postby Jazzdog on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Really interested in seeing how this ends up as I have just brought one for my triton!
Jazzdog

Postby Mudme on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:25 pm

I ended up bending my pilller bracket in the vice to get it more flush sits fine now
Mudme

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 am

Mudme wrote:I ended up bending my pilller bracket in the vice to get it more flush sits fine now

haha, when i first read that i thought you said you bent your pillar in the vice, and i thought wow, thats way more serious than what i have done :lol: :lol:
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 pm

final post re install apart from what I post in my build thread.

it's done and installed
triton snorkel.jpg

all i can say is what a nightmare, never again, if i am ever to go through this again I will happily pay $300-400 for it to be fitted.
I don't think this is necessarily indicative of it being a cheapie eBay item, I would imaging the same problems would be present in doing any brand fitting.
I am also not too happy with the gap around the hole where the snorkel goes through to the airbox, it didn't seem possible to seal that up when installing.

The snorkel itself seems fine, it's just the rigmarole of fitting that is the PITA.

drilling and fitting the mounting bracket to the windscreen pillar - aaaagh
drilling the big holes - double argggghhhh
getting the rubber to fit between the snorkel and the air box through those big holes- triple arggggggg
bloody non silicone mastic - lets not even go there

one last thing, and this i will put down to being a eBay cheapie, the jubilee clips provided were not big enough,, the next size up was needed, no ifs, no buts, they should have been larger for both the clips that you need to lock in the rubber 'hose' between the snorkel and the airbox

if it hadn't been for a very patient friend who helped me on the final install bit I would most likely have torched the stupid car by now :)

On the plus side my friend at the body shop said that replacement panels for tritons are pretty cheap so not to worry too much. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:25 am

sydneymark wrote:all i can say is what a nightmare, never again, if i am ever to go through this again I will happily pay $300-400 for it to be fitted.

My eBay cheapie was a pop :lol: , you can happily pay me next time :twisted:

I've also fitted one to the father inlaws 80 series and another "winning job" ;)

sydneymark wrote:
On the plus side my friend at the body shop said that replacement panels for tritons are pretty cheap so not to worry too much. LOL

I think you may find that our forum sponsor tritonwreckers may be able to supply these :) , pm them if your serious ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:55 am

Will wait til it rusts out due to my poor workmanship :-)
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 am

sydneymark wrote:I am also not too happy with the gap around the hole where the snorkel goes through to the airbox, it didn't seem possible to seal that up when

one last thing, and this i will put down to being a eBay cheapie, the jubilee clips provided were not big enough,, the next size up was needed, no ifs, no buts, they should have been larger for both the clips that you need to lock in the rubber 'hose' between the snorkel and the airbox

Sounds like you had fun with this ;)

The gap around the rubber pipe where it passes through the inner guard (the hole you cut in the engine bay) is meant to have a gap around the hose so don't worry about that.

You are right about the hose clamps being too small for both ends of the rubber hose. I helped another forum member fit the same snorkel on Saturday and the hose clamps were one size too small for both ends of the rubber hose. I have the same snorkel and when I fitted mine they were the correct size so the kit must have changed.

The template was just as inaccurate this time as it was when I fitted mine, no issue though if you remark the holes against the snorkel before drilling anything.

As Haro5L said, I'll happily fit them for cash :D
Amaroo

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 am

yup, the inside hole does have to be big enough for the rubber hose to go through and leave a gap around it. with the jubilee clamps it is solid as a rock.

the airgap i did notice and can't see that can be avoided is on the outside hole, it has to be big enough for the snorkel to go through and be clamped to the rubber hose. I guess some 'silicon' could have been used when installing it, though i think it could have been very messy, more messy that it already was :)
this is taken from the underneath side of the installed snorkel ...
the moulding of the plastic means that there has to be a gap as i see it, so how could this be effectively sealed

i seem to recall that the instructions called for a slightly smaller diameter than the ones we are using as the group hole-saw, though i think there would still be sealing issues no matter what
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:16 pm

sydneymark wrote:yup, the inside hole does have to be big enough for the rubber hose to go through and leave a gap around it. with the jubilee clamps it is solid as a rock.

Wait until you blow a drivers side light globe and need to change it :o , that'll be a completely new write up and experience from you :twisted: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Nooooooo
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 pm

I just changed mine by jamming a broom stick into the rubber tube with the hose clamp off just got enough room to change the bulb...easy
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 pm

viking shippy wrote:I just changed mine by jamming a broom stick into the rubber tube with the hose clamp off just got enough room to change the bulb...easy

I've been wondering about that - do you think this might have contributed to your air box having imploded?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:13 pm

sydneymark wrote:Thought I might as well post here since it seemed most relevant and no point in starting a new ebay snorkel thread...

This one is from the eBay seller Juleslife4x4, they also have a website and seem to be aussie based http://www.julelife4x4.com.au

I will update with more photos but for a start the delivery time was awesome, I bought it on the 12th March and it arrived today, 14th March, a lot of 'real life' businesses could learn from this guy

Cost was $159 postage included

Same place I got mine, same price too. Fitted just fine and works/looks good too. Bonus was the new coolant bottle that fits nicely in place of the original and clears everything :D
AussieTriton

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
viking shippy wrote:I just changed mine by jamming a broom stick into the rubber tube with the hose clamp off just got enough room to change the bulb...easy

I've been wondering about that - do you think this might have contributed to your air box having imploded?

Reply ::: Not this time round just did it last week...
I don't think so but a possibility
I'll revisit that scenario again next time I pull the bonnet and see....
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

yeah, no this post reminded me of a previous post where you said the same and I wondered about it way back then but left it alone but saw this and wondered anew.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tall Man on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Has anyone used the brand ' tamani snorkels ' ? are they any good ?
Tall Man

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Tanami maybe? Even google doesn't know Tamani. Never heard of them myself.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tall Man on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:01 pm

yeah a typo - tanami

from what I can google the mitsu delica guys seem to use them ? can't seem to see many on tritons tho
Tall Man

Postby aussie_power_sports on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:26 pm

So what's the verdict on eBay snorkels? Worth the cash savings or a bit of a headache?
aussie_power_sports

Postby har05l on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Well worth it. Mines got to be at least 4 years old now and still looks as good as the day it was fitted.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nashy27 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:32 am

Forgive me if this sounds like a but of a noob question, but everyone who has had trouble with the templates being up to a cm out, did you not cross reference the template with the snorkel prior to starting? I've just bought an ebay snorkel and personally, the first thing I'll be doing is lining the template up to the snorkel and making sure all the holes line up first and making adjustments to any that don't, well before I even consider putting the template near the car. That way when the template is taped to the car you know the holes will be in the right spot.
nashy27

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

aussie_power_sports wrote:So what's the verdict on eBay snorkels? Worth the cash savings or a bit of a headache?

I've done two, now. The first, on the Triton was full fibreglass and came without some fittings. Wasn't too difficult to source replacements and it fitted up quite well, in the end and never gave a moment's trouble. The fibreglass was a bit rough in spots, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a good sanding.

The second, on the Pajero, was a Safari copy and while it looked identical to the original, the quality of the materials was significantly poorer. The plastic was low quality and full of air bubbles, to the point where painting it was an exercise in grief. The sections that run inside the guard were rubber, but too soft and collapsed under acceleration, choking the engine completely. I've since fixed the problems, but, in hindsight, the problems and fixes probably cost as much, in time at least, as it would have to buy the genuine article.

The issue of poor quality plastics out of Asia is one that, having a paint shop, I come across regularly. Common with aftermarket body kits which need a lot more preparation. I will admit that I've never personally seen a snorkel where the plastic has degraded to the extent that its purpose is compromised, but I can see how that might happen.

As far as the templates are concerned, sure, any professional will check the template against the article and sometimes we actually make our own templates. But for the DIY guy this isn't always something that he thinks of or maybe even knows how to deal with. Most of the time though it isn't the placement of the holes that is wrong, but alignment of the template on the vehicle (the primary reason why so many Triton snorkels have the front, outer hole drilled too low). Template problems can be dealt with if you take the time and trouble.

If I bought another snorkel? Honestly I think that the two brands that lead the market are setting prices way higher than they should. At the other, bottom, end the quality is suspect. But, there are a number of fairly well known brands that offer snorkels at reasonable pricing and the quality is quite ok. I'd be looking at one of these the next time around.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aussie_power_sports on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

What brand are you talking about that are good value for money. That's ones I'm look at in eBay are around 150 including overflow bottle
aussie_power_sports

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods