Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby snakesoup on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:42 pm

find a good quality paint that is high in " zinc " or one that says "cold gal" as far as silicone just don't use the cheapest one you can find, I find Bostic seal n flex urethane to be really good stuff but any thing half decent should do the trick, it's how you use it that will determine if it's air/ water tight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Re: Ebay snorkel - very happy!

Postby Mesiah on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:51 pm

i have 1 of these myself was my first mod ater buying my triton in 2012 its a great snorkle
Hello

From Chris and SHOT GUN
Mesiah
Mesiah

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Got mine on, look was ok install, I went with the rivets on the pillar which worked bar my gun snapping the middle one so will drill it out and redo when I have spare time. The new overflow fits but ran out of time to work out the mounting so is cable tied for now as going away for the weekend.

Kit itself seems alright, quality wise is better than expected for a knock off. Fits well, I could be picky with the profile going from quarter panel to pillar but at end of the day I didn't make it.

Don't get much noise from it at all which I'm happy with, have mates with Navarra/Ranger and the induction noise is an annoying groan.

Overall happy for the price and recommend to anyone else
MilkmanDan

Postby Jacobie on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 pm

MilkmanDan wrote:Got mine on, look was ok install, I went with the rivets on the pillar which worked bar my gun snapping the middle one so will drill it out and redo when I have spare time. The new overflow fits but ran out of time to work out the mounting so is cable tied for now as going away for the weekend.

Kit itself seems alright, quality wise is better than expected for a knock off. Fits well, I could be picky with the profile going from quarter panel to pillar but at end of the day I didn't make it.

Don't get much noise from it at all which I'm happy with, have mates with Navarra/Ranger and the induction noise is an annoying groan.

Overall happy for the price and recommend to anyone else

This the Tuff terrain one? I'm looking into getting one, probably wont fit myself though. Knowing my ill break something none related to the job.
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby kouta666 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:28 pm

MilkmanDan wrote:Don't get much noise from it at all which I'm happy with, have mates with Navarra/Ranger and the induction noise is an annoying groan.

You got a K&N filter? ..... Noticable increase in induction sound after I got one.....Love the sound !!! :D
kouta666

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:54 am

Nah not yet the standard one gets a blow out every couple of weeks.

On a bit of a negative, have had the check engine light come on. Have not cut into anything during install so curious as to what it is. Haven't gone into limp or running rough so can't be anything too bad.
MilkmanDan

Postby kouta666 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 am

Whats the error code?
kouta666

Postby TheSheepKed on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Is it necessary to Sikaflex the joint between the rubber hose and the snorkel and the joint between the rubber hose and air intake?
Can sikaflex be used in this way? I would imagine that these connections would be permanent due to its adhesive property?
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm

I didnt, those jubilee clips that attach to each end aren't going to let any water in. I did dremel the hole into the airbox larger to accommodate the new bracket. That part was bolted and siliconed. Also on the lowest point of the snorkel on the outside of the fender, i did some sealing too as from what i remember, it exposed the saw hole
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

dieselweasel wrote:I didnt, those jubilee clips that attach to each end aren't going to let any water in. I did dremel the hole into the airbox larger to accommodate the new bracket. That part was bolted and siliconed. Also on the lowest point of the snorkel on the outside of the fender, i did some sealing too as from what i remember, it exposed the saw hole

Cheers dieselweasel!

Spoke to a service rep today who told me a few Tritons were getting engine lights and error codes thrown up due to their snorkel. He said there was too much air entering the system for the CPU to handle.
His reasoning was that all Tritons that had this issue had a snorkel.
Causation vs association? I was just about to install the snorkel on the weekend but now reconsidering?
TheSheepKed

Postby Joel on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 pm

I dont see how a snorkel could force more air than the 18-20 pounds of boost the turbo puts in? Guilty by association if you ask me.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby har05l on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm

What a load of shit

I've had mine on for more years then I can remember and it's never done anything other then its intended purpose, to keep water out.

Ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Service rep?

How many of the 'service reps' used to sell vacuum cleaners or Phuckary rugs before they got this gig?

Lights are probably caused by a poor connection at the MAF sensor.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Haha don't shoot the messenger. He drove a Pajero :shock:

Just thought it was an interesting point to bring up. I agree with the MAF sensor being the likely issue for 99% of engine lights after snorkel install.
TheSheepKed

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 am

kouta666 wrote:Whats the error code?

Sorry only just seen this.

My light was caused by a second hand tony chip I bought failing. Removed and all sorted.
MilkmanDan

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Could anyone please advise me as to whether there needs to be a hole in the top of the coolant overflow bottle for the replacement one?
I noticed there's a tiny indent at the top right corner but it hasn't been drilled out. Just an indent where it seems like there should be a hole?
Is it necessary to have a hole?
Click to view larger picture
TheSheepKed

Postby har05l on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm

I very much doubt it TheSheepKed, probably just a fault in the moulding process

[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 pm

har05l wrote:I very much doubt it TheSheepKed, probably just a fault in the moulding process

So need for a vent hole in the overflow bottle?
Just curious why the original overflow bottle had one.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm

I drilled one in my ebay snork replacement overflow bottle in that very place, got a double ended screw retic connector from the shed and put some tube on the other side so i could run an overflow pipe down just in case.Click to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 pm

How could it pull more coolant out of the overflow without a little hole to allow it? Think of your delicious take away flat white coffee, you know in the lid they have an air hole in the opposite side. This is so the cup can drain. Put your finger over it and try and drink it, it wont happen. Just my 2 cents, i think there needs to be a hole there
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

dieselweasel wrote:I drilled one in my ebay snork replacement overflow bottle in that very place, got a double ended screw retic connector from the shed and put some tube on the other side so i could run an overflow pipe down just in case.Click to view larger picture

That's a brilliant idea. So a double ended screw that I assume is hollow through the centre, then put a tube on and clip it on with a hose clamp?

Is the hole necessary though?
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Literally just a small drill hole and twist one of these in, I wouldn't do the barbed ones, screw is better and i used a small length of this size tube

Click to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

[quote="dieselweasel"]Literally just a small drill hole and twist one of these in, I wouldn't do the barbed ones, screw is better and i used a small length of this size tube

Sorry I meant, is it necessary to have a vent?
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:01 pm

If the one you took out had a breather/overflow hole then one definitely wont hurt. No clamps are needed, just screw in but you may need a tiny ring spanner because its fiddly
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:04 pm

What do you mean by a vent?
dieselweasel

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods