Roof rack suggestions

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Roof rack suggestions

Postby brodical on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Lol I see the confusion..sorry George.
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby ag9111 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I had the rhino clamp on mounts with the protective sleeves and they have destoyed the area where they wrap around the door frame. Bloody hopeless :x , could never keep them tight. Roof now needs a respay, as does the rest of the ute :roll:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby George Kyro on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yep and you'd be right. The others then read the other bloke who posted today and somehow thought you were replying to him. Plenty of people manage to get confussed around here. :lol:

I litterally just learned how to quote the parts im talking about earlier today, so now people can tell what the hell im on about... well sometimes :lol:
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby Thommo3337 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Spend the extra and get the track mount racks. I too had the rhino racks and they shifted whilst moving kayak (after a year) and damaged the roof. Also makes it easier to take on and off the racks (possible fuel saving if can be bothered and u can adjust the position to suit your needs.
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Calblitzen on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:22 pm

I have the track mounts and love them and the Rhino commercial racks on top to mount all the bits and pieces. Seam to be nice and strong and racks never move. Have had track mounts on other vehicles before. Easy to remove and re mount the racks as required. There are l9ts of attachments with the commercial racks.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby GLX58 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:11 pm

justin wrote:Hi All, just a quick one in regards to the thule/genuine roof rack as I scored a pair off a mate. Where they clamp onto the door sill should there be a piece of foam/rubber to stop them damaging the paint work as there is nothing at the moment and I cannot see any residue from anything being there before?

Cheers

Hi guys. Have searched for similar threads and can't find anything so as this is the most relevant and similar to what I'm doing/needing thought it might be ok to post here?

Have a query re: factory racks. Have a set on my new triton and unfortunately have had issues so am wondering if others have had similar.

While the stealer has actually been very good up to the moment with this and another small issue it is clear their aftermarket fitters are muppets or did a rush job on my car.

After 2 months (only used with weight 3 times) my factory racks slid down the roof last week, leaving two small scratches and two 20cm long black scuff marks :( . Needless to say I was unimpressed....

Like the OP I sometimes (very frequent in summer) carry a kayak (well within the 50kg limit). Funnily enough the racks slid with no weight at all on them. I have recently driven a dirt road (not that long and quite smooth really) and am thinking the aftermarket guys simply have not tightened them enough and they've come loose. The fact they haven't even put them on straight or level probably didn't help either...also pretty obvious and a bit of concern that after they had a look at them they still gave them back and I found I could move them by hand.

Stealer seems pretty happy to pay for the paint repair upon my next visit (so I guess if they shift again I'm not so worried atm) but I have a trip coming up too.

So I am wondering what others may have done or have solutions in mind?

I'm thinking:

1) there is no rubber in between roof and rack rack feet?! So it's just painted metal on metal. I am thinking scuff the feet lightly with sandpaper to take the gloss of and pop some thin rubber in between?

2) If still sliding, Go medieval on em and drill holes in the feet and pop-rivet but does not seem a wide enough area to rivet in...don't really want to do this one..

3) Get the feet replaced with genuine thule rapid 754's (what thule recommend) which appear to clamp down/tighten on the feet also.

4) Just take them off, try get my money back, and buy some Rhino rack track mounts. (the locks on the factory ones are shit anyway)

Seems to me the factory (thule) ones are a flawed design anyway in that they tighten from the top and not by clamping the feet to the roof? (i.e they 'cam' down onto the roof instead)
GLX58

Postby srb on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 am

Get rid of them and get the Rhino track mounts if you want a serious setup. ;-) Then make sure you have someone that can install the track mounts properly. :roll:
My Rhinos have been carrying over 100kgs all around Australia on the roughest tracks imaginable and still going strong.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby XSQ376 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 am

GLX58 wrote:
justin wrote:Hi All, just a quick one in regards to the thule/genuine roof rack as I scored a pair off a mate. Where they clamp onto the door sill should there be a piece of foam/rubber to stop them damaging the paint work as there is nothing at the moment and I cannot see any residue from anything being there before?

Cheers

Hi guys. Have searched for similar threads and can't find anything so as this is the most relevant and similar to what I'm doing/needing thought it might be ok to post here?

Have a query re: factory racks. Have a set on my new triton and unfortunately have had issues so am wondering if others have had similar.

While the stealer has actually been very good up to the moment with this and another small issue it is clear their aftermarket fitters are muppets or did a rush job on my car.

After 2 months (only used with weight 3 times) my factory racks slid down the roof last week, leaving two small scratches and two 20cm long black scuff marks :( . Needless to say I was unimpressed....

Like the OP I sometimes (very frequent in summer) carry a kayak (well within the 50kg limit). Funnily enough the racks slid with no weight at all on them. I have recently driven a dirt road (not that long and quite smooth really) and am thinking the aftermarket guys simply have not tightened them enough and they've come loose. The fact they haven't even put them on straight or level probably didn't help either...also pretty obvious and a bit of concern that after they had a look at them they still gave them back and I found I could move them by hand.

Stealer seems pretty happy to pay for the paint repair upon my next visit (so I guess if they shift again I'm not so worried atm) but I have a trip coming up too.

So I am wondering what others may have done or have solutions in mind?

I'm thinking:

1) there is no rubber in between roof and rack rack feet?! So it's just painted metal on metal. I am thinking scuff the feet lightly with sandpaper to take the gloss of and pop some thin rubber in between?

2) If still sliding, Go medieval on em and drill holes in the feet and pop-rivet but does not seem a wide enough area to rivet in...don't really want to do this one..

3) Get the feet replaced with genuine thule rapid 754's (what thule recommend) which appear to clamp down/tighten on the feet also.

4) Just take them off, try get my money back, and buy some Rhino rack track mounts. (the locks on the factory ones are shit anyway)

Seems to me the factory (thule) ones are a flawed design anyway in that they tighten from the top and not by clamping the feet to the roof? (i.e they 'cam' down onto the roof instead)

Hi mate don't bother with the Thule either I have them and they also move, you can over tighten them and dent your roof, which I have done. Definantly go something that is track mounted.
XSQ376

Postby viking shippy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Click to view larger picture

If your serious about some decent racks this is one of two track mount systems the other is from arb and supports a roof basket...all the others are not up to carring 100kg all day every day..day in day out as they sit on the body work..ad dent your roof panel..
viking shippy

Postby TUF909 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Last edited by TUF909 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby viking shippy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:46 pm

tuf909 wrote:I thought the arb track system was rhino shippy? If not, do you mind if I ask how much the rhino is worth?

arb system is a basket with legs lol.. that mount the roof track recess it's totally different to the rhino system I think the rhino system gives you more options....ok price was ....$700 fitted ouch... I know exi but well worth it....when I look at it today ..I still think that it is a lot for bloody roof racks..but the aero bars fitt all thurle Accsesorys....
viking shippy

Postby XSQ376 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Not sure how to copy link but search this on flee bay
Mitsubishi Triton L200 2001-2006 Open Ends Tradesman Steel Roof Rack 1350x1250mm
Mounts to track the same way as arb and a lot cheaper not sure on quality though
XSQ376

Postby Calblitzen on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I have the same track mount system. The only differance to VS is that I have the commercial bars. Rhino have so many attachments which makes it easy for mounting different items. Great load rating as well.
Last edited by Calblitzen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Snooozy on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:43 pm

I agree with above, go with the track mount Rhino.

I dont think there is a better stronger system around at the moment
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 am

Any one have any photos of how they have mounted racks to the hard cover on the back ? I was going to drill through the cover & use a backing plate under neath to give a bit of strength, it will be for a table only, so nothing to heavy. Any photos or problems that someone else has already come across would be good.

Duck out.......
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby schem81 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Duck wrote:Any one have any photos of how they have mounted racks to the hard cover on the back ? I was going to drill through the cover & use a backing plate under neath to give a bit of strength, it will be for a table only, so nothing to heavy. Any photos or problems that someone else has already come across would be good.

Duck out.......

Hey mate, Ive have done this.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10507

if u go through the build thread u'll find what ur after. only differnce that i have done since then is added a piece of metal the length of the "rib" in the underside of the hard lid where the mount goes over as i realised that the hard lid isnt strong enough to support the basket brackets and they start to bow when tightening. I hope that makes sense as i dont have the car for a week or so otherwise i'd take a pic.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby GLX58 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 am

Cheers for the replies! Great feedback

Really seems like the track mount is the way to go.

I've put a temporary fix in place that I'm hoping will stop them moving, at least for a fair while.

Really seems like a bloody shoddy product to me. I expect alot more from Thule as an alleged quality brand, might take it up with them also, maybe they just don't suit the triton roof shape..

Anyway to me, if something rated to 50kg it should not slide all over your car after 8 weeks of light use when it's only carried max 30kg probably 3 times. I had pro racks on the last car which looked cheap, shoddy and rough by comparison. I didn't go easy like with the new car and PUNISHED them over dirt road roads, with a heavy load on and they never moved in 3 years. Yep, there was some tiny chipping to the paint when I pulled them off but it was barely noticeable after polishing.

Hopefully the fix will stop the slide (roof is already scratched anyhow so I'll give it a go for at least a month until the respray is lined up) or I'm gunna be forking out a fair whack of coin it seems. Bugger, looks like a bad aftermarket decision by me at purchase!
GLX58

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 pm

My pro-racks have never shifted. Not that they cop a caning but they've carried the oztent and occasionally a hi-lift (which is heavy and one sided) and they've never even looked like coming loose. And they look better than the rhino racks... 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby paddlingfool on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 am

Definately do not use the clamp on style to carry any weight . I bought the Rhino Aero bars to carry a Hobie kayak. The first time I went on a dirt road they shifted and scratched the paint, the next time, with about 50 k of dirt. I have two big dents in the roof where the foot sits . The roof metal is too weak to support a load on such a small footprint . I am going to try the Rhino track mount system next, did not want to drill the roof, but can't see any alternative .
paddlingfool

Postby shaggy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Paddlingfool I have had clamp on roof racks as well and dented by roof also carrying kayaks
Depending on the damage they have done you will need to repair the roof before putting track mount racks on
I have had 3 quotes veering from 400$ to 1250$ will be going with the cheaper local bloke

The more expensive bloke also gave me a quote of 800$ to repair a small scratch under the left tail lights saying they would have to remove the canopy to repair WTF
shaggy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

I've had the rhino rack track mount system
For three years now and it happily supports 60kg of weight in a roof basket..
I did have my rt tent mounted on it for a while but went for canopy racks when I realised with two adults and the 50kg of tent ,I was way over the static weight of 100kg per bar...
viking shippy

Postby PhatVelvet on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:44 pm

So seeing as there seem to be limited options for roof racks does that rule out the use of rooftop tents for the triton as stated above, or is there a system that works safely without damaging the vehicle/mounts? Anyone use one on the reg with tips or should I just start chasing down other avenues?
PhatVelvet

Postby viking shippy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 pm

It's track mount that I have or Clamp mount on the paintwork ..
That's it for the over cab mounting systems..
I wouldn't recommend a roof top tent mounted above the cab on a rack mount unless..your on your own and can be shure that you stay well under 200kg..
As for clamp mount don't go there it will result in dents in your roof..

the only other alternative is a canopy rack mount with internal support bars to transfer the weight to the tub sides...or a custom mount fabricated over your tub....
Search as me and others have covered this on this forum...
viking shippy

Postby carn_the_pear on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Just got myself track mounted Rhino Racks. Got them installed by ARB for $710, which is pretty good considering you can't even buy them online for less than $622.

I went with the square type as I'll be transporting ladders and such. The only negative I can find is that there is a noticeable whirring noise when travelling upwards of 80km/hr. Guess I'll just have to get used to it and have the music a bit louder :mrgreen: .
carn_the_pear

Postby M.Bas on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:01 pm

For my RTT I have the heavy duty Rhinorack bars, 1.5m long. Without the RTT mounted it makes a lot of windnoise.
Easiest solution is indeed turning up the music. :lol:
M.Bas

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods