ARB Deluxe Bullbar Driving Light Failure

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: ARB Deluxe Bullbar Driving Light Failure

Postby snowman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 am

a whole thread over a broken globe.

priceless. :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am

Yeah fair point CD, but if you know they are going to shatter then would be a good idea to turn them off when going through the water,
Lee-thal

Postby fridgie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 am

Turn them off with enough time to cool down or they either still shatter or suck in water ;-) once they get full of muddy water that ain't so bright no more :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

I'm allergic to mud and water anyway so not fussed. Been stuck in close country in the dark with rain though and you just can't get enough light on the situation.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Lee-thal wrote:Why do you have the fog lights on anyway when 4wding??

Cant see the need in it, Turn your foglights off and next time you go into water they wont shatter,
Pretty simple really,

I will often have them on as a warning to other vehicles......especially trail bikes.
As a rider myself you will often see the flicker of lights ahead through the trees.
Nothing worse than rounding a bend at full throttle and seeing a bullbar looking at you. :o :o
Then you forget they are on when you approach a water crossing. :roll:
Havering said that......I've never broken a light. :D
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Headlights i can understand as i drive 95 % of the time with them on, but not foglights
If you knew your foglights were susceptible to shattering when going through water, you would turn them off, You dont deliberately brake things on your car do you?
Lee-thal

Postby fridgie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Lee-thal wrote: You dont deliberately brake things on your car do you?

I respectfully decline to answer that question, your honour :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby porter001 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Settle down blokes, firstly I didn't have them on in or around water and it didn't shatter or brake, I just went to turn it on the other day and noticed it wasn't working. Secondly I've accepted it's a light and they occasional brake. Thirdly I didn't shame anyone, I was spoken to in a manner I didn't like at the ARB dealer, I dealt with it and then asked you guys if anyone else had had this problem in the past, and if you read all my posts I thanked Sam from ARB for being very generous in giving me a new one. This is a forum for people with a common interest to discuss issues isn't it, but thanks for the effort of a reply!

Cheers
porter001

Postby Mooons on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm

mine are frequantly dunked in water
they are left on
& they do shatter sometimes
like Mattz has stated i to leave them on for others to see me through the scrub at $70 a pair & 10 mins to change them Ill continue to leave them on :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Mooons wrote:mine are frequantly dunked in water
they are left on
& they do shatter sometimes
like Mattz has stated i to leave them on for others to see me through the scrub at $70 a pair & 10 mins to change them Ill continue to leave them on :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll assume that you're talking about leaving them on while offroad, since we all know that it's illegal to use them on road unless it is actually foggy, and you did mention wombat holes.

But, really, regardless of whether you are prepared to pay for replacements when they shatter, wouldn't it just be easier to have your headlights on, for visibility to others?
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Yeah I'm talking in the bush where what you want lit up is what you're driving into. Anti-social and not legal using them on the road.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Sorry Dave, my bad. I quoted the wrong thing. wasn't asking you, was asking Mooons. Post edited.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby fish88 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:If you've ever done 'one more track' and ended up in the bush in the dark the foggies start to feel like a real good idea

ill remember that for next time :lol: :lol:

Click to view larger picture
fish88

Postby gauci204 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 pm

i find the fog lights to be next to useless from my ARB deluxe bar. i only had mine fitted this year, but they gave me the old model that has the IPF lights in it (gave me a free replacement for when i brake one which was generous) they only throw a bit of light out the sides of them.

if i want to see where im going, the lightforce 240s get switched on. the foglights are just for show imo.

chris
gauci204

Postby Mooons on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Sorry Dave, my bad. I quoted the wrong thing. wasn't asking you, was asking Mooons. Post edited.

Hey Chris as we get much fog down here so I have mine adjusted fairly low so they don't shine to far down the road/track that way there not to much of a distraction for the person in front of you where as your headlight theory would be rather annoying by the end of the trip
Very handy to see where the person behind you is at when the brush is a bit thick if they have theirs on it let's you know if they are underway when your spread out over the country side
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 am

Mmmm, agree that lights on in the bush is a good idea, as you say. My fogs are not so easy to get and replacing isn't a 5 minute job, so I'll just stick with headlights on low beam.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 am

I am fed up with paying good money ($70 from memory) for "top quality" H4 Headlight bulbs, and having them last 6 months. :evil:
I'd be lucky if they have done 100 hours :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Froggy

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

I've cracked my fog light. It was a stone chip until a session of night 4wding and forgot to kill my fogs before entering the water and it shattered the glass, bulb still intact and working.

Probably 8-10 months later its still charging on strong. Heavily corroded but still functioning well.

Luck of the draw?
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 pm

froggymicb wrote:I am fed up with paying good money ($70 from memory) for "top quality" H4 Headlight bulbs, and having them last 6 months. :evil:
I'd be lucky if they have done 100 hours :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you're buying Philips, Narva or similar brand names in Plus 50/80/100 then you are buying top quality. But, you can't have a filament that glows much hotter and thereby outputs more light, without that filament having a shorter life. If you want longer life then go for the lower output bulbs (standard or +30), or you can go for very long life bulbs that have even less output than standard. Whatever you do don't get sucked in to buying the cheap bulbs that have a blue coating or promise the impossible.

The wiring system on the Triton isn't bad but can be improved with a harness that will ensure full voltage is available to your headlight bulbs.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby mattz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm

I was also told that once you replace a globe......turn on your lights for a minute if so before starting the car and putting through vibrations. ;)
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Kingbrown on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

mattz wrote:I was also told that once you replace a globe......turn on your lights for a minute if so before starting the car and putting through vibrations. ;)

Talking bulb replacements, I enquired of a well-respected supplier on what bulb type they use for the parkers/turn indicators in their bullbars (to save me from dismantling the fitting in order to purchase a spare bulb, or to fit an LED replacement).

Their response:
"...the fittings can be difficult to dismantle so we don't supply bulbs. Complete replacement fittings are available for $25 ea though - and we have plenty in stock at the moment . . . . blah blah blah".

Oh yeah :?: You've got to be joking was my response . . . :shock:

If I have to I'll butcher the fitting and buy a tube of silastic to bog it up b4 going their suggested route .

Damned strokers :!:
Kingbrown
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jimbill on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:43 pm

The parking lights & indicator globes on my ARB deluxe bar blew after about 4 months. I noticed they are of no recognisable brand. A little disappointing but the biggest issued in changing them. Not easy!! I replaced them with Narva globes and bought a few extras & settled into the fact that i'll have to change them regularly, It would be nice if a quality bar could be finished off with quality globes. Not a big thing but it does leave a slightly bad taste in your mouth. An extra $20 - $30 dollars on an $2k + bar isn't going to be notices.
jimbill

Postby Hymie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm

I've already changed 1 of my fog globes but when the indicator or park light goes I'll replace the lot with LED bulbs. Pick em up nice and cheap on ebay too

As for the fogs it is easy enough to get to those to change the globes so don't mind having to do those but I'm hoping I'll get a better time frame out of the Narva replacements.
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 am

No problems with my xrox fog lights :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Wed May 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Can someone confirm if the fog light in a deluxe bar is H4?
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods