Tow Bar Tow Hitch Stuck

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Tow Bar Tow Hitch Stuck

Postby irwazza on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:53 am

Hey Guys

I need to install a adjustable toe hitch to lower the towing point for towing the speedboat.
Only problem is when I tried to remove the stock tow hitch its stuck. It looks as if the tow hitch is rusted to the tow bar.

Anyone got any advice on seperating the two?
I have tried a s#@tload of wd40 and banging it both ways with a big hammer but haven't budged it.......
irwazza

Re: Tow Bar Tow Hitch Stuck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 am

I recall one bloke who had this problem subsequently found his was welded in....

Do you have a hi-lift jack? You could back up to a telegraph pole, wrap a strap around the pole, put an eyebolt through the towball hole and jack it out? I'd be using chain or something non elastic though, you don't want it springing out and flying around when it finally gives.

Or, if you were a farmer, chain it to a tree and try to drive away :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby pearcey on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:10 am

Check there may be an anti rattle bolt in for the bottom which you loosen off
pearcey

Postby irwazza on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 am

Doesn't look welded in, don't have a high lift jack but have definently thought about chaining it to a tree and driving off :-)

Yeh, I tried removing the anti rattle bolt and snapped it off, so I then drilled the bolt out but didn't allow it to budge.

I like the idea of the high lift jack, I need one to add to my tooling anyway :-)
irwazza

Postby hvac guy on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 am

slege hammer side to side and up and down with tension on the tow bar hitch. i had to use a bit of chain around a tree with the wife driving forward.

ps it can take a while.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 am

get some penetrene, let it soak over night and you want to use a rubber mallet to whack it out.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irwazza on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks fellas, I'll try all of the above
irwazza

Postby odie602r on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Sounds like tune 15 and a chain if all else fails!
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm

I do not support the chain method, could turn ugly that... If you are a farmer, all good, proceed as planned. :lol:

turn the towball around... (if you have a sacrificial towball, use that, as this will destroy it)

With the towball upside down you can get a good swing at it with a sledge hammer. Works every time. ;) :mrgreen:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brent1 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 pm

If you can get some where you are, I use a product called Freeze and Release. It comes in a can like WD40 but rapidly freezes the metal to slightly contract it which does the trick for me with stubborn nuts, bolts etc
Brent1

Postby knotty5170 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 pm

mine needed a whack, the anti bolt wont come out, only able to loosen its grip.
Mine was rusted in but a good couple of whacks with a lump hammer then some wd40 got it out,
Just dont do anything herioc- or things will break!!!

Good luck.
knotty5170

Postby Chill on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Tie a hand winch around a tree and the tow ball and keep pressure on it as you tap it. Proceed with caution and don't stand in front of ball. Good luck
Chill

Postby Froggy on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I had the exact same problem. Previous owner had a boat and it was corroded in there solid.
I smashed it with sledge hammers and used penetrating oils to no avail.
Best advice I can give is get a 300mm offcut of 50mm square fence post from your local friendly metal supplier, take the tow bar off the vehicle and place it tongue down between something solid like say two stacks of pallets, put the off cut up the back of the tow bar and smash it with a sledgie!
Took me maybe 50 or 60 blows which totally buggered the off-cut before it even moved for me.
I would definitely NOT advise using the chain around a tree etc methods! If it takes as much effort to get it out as it did mine, you'll bend something or someone before it comes out.
Froggy

Postby desblaze on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:10 pm

I found I had the same issue when I went to take out the towball hitch for a recovery hitch. Because it was the lowest point I had bottomed out on the towbar a few times filling it with sand and other muck so as you could guess it was all rusty. I ended up placing the recovery hitch at the rear and going to town with a sledge hammer. It took a while and needed a lot of force to get it going to push it all the way out. Then clear the area and keep it lubed with some WD40.
desblaze

Postby oztri on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Had the same issue. Rusted in good. Drilled out the bolt and the bugger still wouldn't budge, even after a good drink of wd40. Following week it was in at the stealers for a service and I mentioned it to them and when I picked it up later that day, they had removed it, cleaned it up and re painted to prevent further rust. They only charged me 20 bucks for the trouble, and it saved me a whole lot of cursing! :D
oztri

Postby Calblitzen on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm

I had the same problem after towing the camper to Fraser. I wanted to get it out so I could have a recovery point. I took the bolt and then spent 30 mins slowly working it out with a hammer. I believe the clearances are too tight with the genuine bar, I had to file the end to create a chamfer to get it back in to tow the camper home. I've never had this issue with any other bar before. I had a look underneath and that there was a plate covering the back preventing me from tapping out that way.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am

The designers had good intent with this style of tow bar, however they are flawed in the tolerances - rattle like hell, until the manufacturers installed the piddly anti rattle screw into the design.

These screws rust up and gradually get peened out wider at the end.

Ideally would be to have some teflon sheets around the hitch tube to both stop rattle and prevent seizing.

PS: We all know not to tie recovery straps to the tow ball - but I saw a scary setup at a TJM outlet - a tow
ball friendly shackle. Misuse of this could be even worse than connecting directly to the ball!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Ha, yeh well the tension bolt saved my tow tongue when some mongrel tried to knock it off. They got the pin out but the bolt (plus plenty of caked up mud and grease) stopped it coming out .
MN GLXR

Postby ChRiIiS on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Here is how I got mine out heaps of penetren some pipe from work sledge hammer took a few hits, once out wire wheel on the shaft off the tongue more out some grease around it put it in haven't had a problem since

Hope this helps

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
ChRiIiS

Postby alanc on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 pm

I had the same problem after a round Oz trip :cry: very frustrating tried hammers jacks etc :x ended up taking the tow bar off and putting it under a 100ton press 8-) that did it :D what had made it stick was a build up bulldust and road dirt :shock: by the way the guage on the press read 35 ton before the tonge moved :o
alanc

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:55 pm

That does not surprise me at all!
Froggy

Postby irwazza on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Oxy and sledge hammer did the trick, the farmer trick did nothing but dig dirty big holes in the ground with the tractor
irwazza

Postby Hummer on Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am

Lots of wd40, Put some tension on to the towball with a hand winch to a tree and hit it in every direction with a sledgy. Takes a while but it comes out with a bit of cursing
Hummer

Postby PBding on Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 am

Nobody has mentioned a bit of heat yet.
PBding

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 am

Two posts up someone mentions oxy?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Exterior Mods