Which rear bar?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Rear bar

Postby Thommo3337 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Just wanting to put out an easy list of rear bars as there is a bot of info scattered everywhere. Have been looking recently and just wanted to see what the pros and cons of each are

Tjm
Arb
Kaymar
Mcc
Ironman

Arb have been told are good bit big $
Tjm look alright and I do believe are fairly reasonable $
Kaymar expensive but has wheel carriers which may be of concern on the mn due to weight?
Don't really offer any rear side tub protection
Mcc have a few available the wheel carriers the same as kaymar but half the price little tub protection and there rear step tow bar seams well built much like the arb bit cheaper
Ironman I was told to stay clear of as they didn't fit properly and that was from an opposite lock dealer whonsaid they don't recommend because of the problems!

Any recommendations on departure angles and just what in general people feel and know would be of much benefit in making my decision easier and better well informed thanks
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Rear bar

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 pm

TJM r very hard to get for ML's. Think u need to buy more then 10 of them for tjm to make them.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Rear bar

Postby fraz91 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

The MCC jack bar offers great side protection, as well as a good departure angle for the standard tray. ARB has the name and the build quality, but doesn't offer as much side protection as the TJM or MCC jack bar. Kaymar and MCC wheel carriers I'd steer clear of on the MN personally, too much weight too far back for my liking.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Dan73no on Tue May 01, 2012 7:57 am

I need to replace my 'mitsu grader' and rear step on the 2010 MN as a VW wrapped itself around it so am also interested in your thoughts.

As it currently collects mud as the slightest angle I am looking to ditch it for an aftermarket step and towbar.

Was thinking the TJM purely on cost but could get the ARB bar on the insurance. Is the ARB bar/step better for recovery as you have 3 recovery points?

If money is no object assume people will go for the ARB?

I note both are on back order for 2-3 months.
Dan73no

Postby fridgie on Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 am

The eyelets on the back of the arb are NOT recovery points, purely for light towing as not rated.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby snowman on Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 am

Dan73no wrote:I need to replace my 'mitsu grader' and rear step on the 2010 MN as a VW wrapped itself around it so am also interested in your thoughts.

As it currently collects mud as the slightest angle I am looking to ditch it for an aftermarket step and towbar.

Was thinking the TJM purely on cost but could get the ARB bar on the insurance. Is the ARB bar/step better for recovery as you have 3 recovery points?

If money is no object assume people will go for the ARB?

I note both are on back order for 2-3 months.

I would argue with cost aside the ARB is currently the best. However it has its issues including the 'grader' issue and also the grader blade bending easier than you would think.

If you have 'months' in any case then talk to Brett (refer to contact details in Homer tray thread). I don't think he has access to an MN tub currently but he is keen to develop something. I think if he has the time he could develop something for the MN's that would be better than all the rest, but it will definitely be up with ARB on cost i think.

you have not listed your location, but he is in melbourne.

He also mentioned the VIC :? rules (as he understood them from initial discussions) that a tow bar rated at less than 2500kg's does NOT need engineering. It would be handy if someone on here knows anything about that. That one issue would make the custom bar viable or not.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dan73no on Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

thanks Snowman. I am in Windsor, NSW.

So is the ARB bar lower or higher that the standard mitsu fit? Is there a view for going with the mitsu standard 3 tonne towbar? You obviously would lose a bit of side protection.
Dan73no

Rear bar

Postby motoz on Tue May 01, 2012 11:31 am

I can vouch for the RB6 from TJM. The bottom bars come out further than the ARB, it has integrated Hi Lift jack points. There quite a robust design with thick slide plates underneath with not much to get stuck on.

For under $600 it's great value for the money IMO.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

Dan73no wrote:thanks Snowman. I am in Windsor, NSW.

So is the ARB bar lower or higher that the standard mitsu fit? Is there a view for going with the mitsu standard 3 tonne towbar? You obviously would lose a bit of side protection.

i have never owned a standard Mits bar but from everything i have read they are far lower and wont provide the rear step protection you are looking for when 4wding.

i have hit my bar plenty of times and wish it was even wider to be honest as i have done some tub damage. i think the TJM is a little wider which is good. Definitely go TJM if it is coming out of your pocket.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Split on Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm

what about the MCC with wheel carrier rear bar on the back of an ML? dodgey or would it be ok ?
Split

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue May 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Also, at least you can get the RB6 for the MN, they dont do them for the ML anymore :(
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 1:53 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:Also, at least you can get the RB6 for the MN, they dont do them for the ML anymore :(

Maybe we should try a group buy again ?
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Rear bar

Postby motoz on Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Quinny67 wrote:
godzilla_rising wrote:Also, at least you can get the RB6 for the MN, they dont do them for the ML anymore :(

Maybe we should try a group buy again ?

There was a post a few months back that said they would do a run if 10 units were ordered.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Yep - saw that - wonder if we'd get the interest ?

One ...
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Rear bar

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue May 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Two, but mayb next month before payment ;)

Do TJM do colour coding?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Well - if we get a few more, I'll try another group buy in the correct thread ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Tue May 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Rear bar is very high on my list after dinting the tub at ripley! :cry:
I'd be interested in a group buy if the price was reasonable.
Froggy

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Ok - well, I put it up in the EOI thread - see if it flies ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue May 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Split wrote:what about the MCC with wheel carrier rear bar on the back of an ML? dodgey or would it be ok ?

I had a look at the Mcc with a mate who is a boiler maker and he reckons they look well built but they don't offer any side protection! If they had the same side protection as therir jack bar I would purchase it ( u also need to buy a new tow bar from what the guy told us) ml should be fine as their not as far back creating a lot less leverage
Last edited by Thommo3337 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo3337

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Thommo - I tried getting some pricing on the MCC bars, but didn't get to far. If you have further info I'd be interested to know ... I had a look at the Kaymar rear bar for the Ml but price was heading north of $3500 :shock:
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 4:26 pm

The other thing I was thinking (... and only thinking at this stage) - maybe try Homer's mate - see if he'd make something from scratch ... Dunno ? maybe if we had numbers ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Quinny67 wrote:Hi Thommo - I tried getting some pricing on the MCC bars, but didn't get to far. If you have further info I'd be interested to know ... I had a look at the Kaymar rear bar for the Ml but price was heading north of $3500 :shock:

There are some on ebay also google Mcc rear bar and their factory details come up give them a ring about $1700 for duel wheel carrier! Still would like to hear if anyone has bent their chassis on Mn without towing a caravan or having air bags!!
Thommo3337

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Quinny67 wrote:The other thing I was thinking (... and only thinking at this stage) - maybe try Homer's mate - see if he'd make something from scratch ... Dunno ? maybe if we had numbers ...

Am home at the moment too just had a knee reconstruction so have plenty of time the main thing would be I would like it to be ADR approved for insurance reasons. Will have to try and look him up!
Thommo3337

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Split wrote:what about the MCC with wheel carrier rear bar on the back of an ML? dodgey or would it be ok ?

Sorry Split - missed your post there ...

I have not heard of any issues with the Ml - I am assuming you are referring to the unfortunate BIG ASS Mn's ...

As I have said before - I am more interested in making a touring vehicle than a rock climber (next goal is the Simpson 8-) ) - so I'm more interested in having a couple of spare wheels, carrying extra water / fuel etc. Decent rear recovery points and hi-lift points is important ... which I have none of at the moment ....

Yes I can hear everyone saying ... Quinny, you big girl :roll: - lowered 4 inches, doof doof sub... :lol:
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 pm

snowman wrote:I would argue with cost aside the ARB is currently the best.

Please snowie, what a load of B/S :roll: , are you on there books to spruik there expensive items are you :twisted:

Dan73no wrote:Is there a view for going with the mitsu standard 3 tonne towbar? You obviously would lose a bit of side protection.

I was under the assumption that mitsi had re rated the tritons to 2700kgs :?

This is the rating of the RB6 TJM bar with a ball weight of 270kgs

I have no idea about the standard bar but does hang much lower than either of the aftermarket options
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Exterior Mods