Which rear bar?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Rear bar

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Well then we can be confussed together. I regard myself as in good company on this occasion :D :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony81 on Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks Motoz that's what I was meaning, I Asked the eBay sellerFor the MCC Bars the same question and they told me that is was for the bar only... :cry:

Dave the Kaymar Bar does have side protection as shown in this picture

Click to view larger picture
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 61rth on Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Quinny67 wrote:I asked if TJM head office if they would do a run of 10 for the ML - waiting to hear back - not expecting much though ...

G'Day Quinny, maybe check from Fridgie or Homer if they got the nubster's email address. He was TJM product devolopment manager or something like that, I'm sure he would be the one to help you out with that one. And if he won't we have plenty of material if you need a bribe :twisted:
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey, you can always get the MCC Jack Bar, or ARB Rear Step Towbar or even the TJM RB6 Rear Bar...and then get the swing away towhitch arm from Avenger ;) theres an idea...combine the best of both worlds!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby Quinny on Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 am

motoz wrote:
Quinny67 wrote:
Tony81 wrote:
MCC Wheel Carrier - NO Integrated Tow Bar

Just thought i would point out some differences

Mate - what do mean no integrated tow bar ? - not taking the piss, just don't understand :oops:

I'm sure he means that you have to buy a seperate tow bar, i.e a GL R one as there is no tow bar intergrated into the design.

To Clarify - this from Trevor at MCC:

The bar comes as seen in picture and you buy the tow bar back separate $249.00 it bolts to the underside of wheel carrier. Double jerry holder and single wheel $1750.
In stock .Freight would be $140-200
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 am

godzilla_rising wrote:Hey, you can always get the MCC Jack Bar, or ARB Rear Step Towbar or even the TJM RB6 Rear Bar...and then get the swing away towhitch arm from Avenger ;) theres an idea...combine the best of both worlds!!!

Thanks GR - Here's the link:

http://www.avenger4x4.com.au/page/shop/ ... uct_id/333
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

I think if you can wait a very short while - or better still contact him to show some intent, then Brett from Just Powdercoating will have a virtual Kaymar clone available very shortly (did someone say group buy?)

It will be a little like the bar on my tray (which looks almost exactly like a Kaymar from the pics) and you can ask about incorporating side protection if he's not already doing that. I didn't require that as I don't have the tub.

You would probably save a grand as well ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny on Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

Oooooohh ;)
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby butch 78 on Fri May 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey guys I have a Kaymar bar on my MN and it has already paid for it self many time's over.
I've had to winch my Mn back onto a track side ways and my only hook up point was on the side of the rear bar saved my truck.
I've bottomed out a couple of time's no damage and slid down the side of some steep ruts no panel damage just some paint on the bar's.
I've towed some heavy boats on it too no drama's.
David at Kaymar is really helpful.
They may cost a bit but quality always does.
butch 78

Rear bar

Postby irwazza on Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

We will have to agree to disagree on the statement, quality always costs more...
irwazza

Postby Quinny on Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

61rth wrote:
Quinny67 wrote:I asked if TJM head office if they would do a run of 10 for the ML - waiting to hear back - not expecting much though ...

G'Day Quinny, maybe check from Fridgie or Homer if they got the nubster's email address. He was TJM product devolopment manager or something like that, I'm sure he would be the one to help you out with that one. And if he won't we have plenty of material if you need a bribe :twisted:

Thanks Girth - I'm thinking of giving TJM ( ...and ARB for that matter - bunch of pricks :evil: ) the flick for the purpose of this exercise...

When ever I go to a TJM store and say ... mate, I've got a Triton ... They look to the sky and start kicking stones - not interested ... Say Patrol / Cruiser, mate... what can I sell you ...

I'm sure it's not everyone's experience - just leaves a bad taste, if you understand what I mean ... :evil:

... anyway - what I need from you blokes & girls is ... do you need a rear bar ?

If so ... please post up - what features you would like incorporated ...

I have a plan :twisted:
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 pm

I do need/want a rear bar but unfortunately won't be in anyosition to purchase one :cry: :cry: :cry:

However if I was some features I would like are:-

Dual wheel carrier or single carrier + Gerry holder
Side protection for tub
Rear protection
Towing capability
Maximum departure angle
Recovery points x2
Reverse sensors????
Led tail lights, reverse lights, indicator lights
Telescopic flood light holder or UHF / VHF aerial mount
Maybe even some kind of chassis strengthening ( not sure how this could work out though)

Well you did ask and those features would be the ultimate set up for a rear bar to me. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacks Home on Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

See link below for Superior Engineering at Burpengary for you Brisbane guys. May save some freight costs over buying from down south.
Theres about 2 pages of MCC products for Tritons and also prices.
Been looking for a rear bar to protect my long arse MN for a while now, just havn't been able to make my mind up as to which one. They all seem to have there good and bad points. Will probably come down to funds available when i make a desision, as always.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/s ... 9_616_2006
Jacks Home

Postby Quinny on Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Tony81 wrote:I do need/want a rear bar but unfortunately won't be in anyosition to purchase one :cry: :cry: :cry:

However if I was some features I would like are:-

Dual wheel carrier or single carrier + Gerry holder
Side protection for tub
Rear protection
Towing capability
Maximum departure angle
Recovery points x2
Reverse sensors????
Led tail lights, reverse lights, indicator lights
Telescopic flood light holder or UHF / VHF aerial mount
Maybe even some kind of chassis strengthening ( not sure how this could work out though)

Well you did ask and those features would be the ultimate set up for a rear bar to me. :ugeek: :ugeek:

Exactly what I am after Tony - ;)
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Hmmmm I now am very interested in what you are working out Quinny.

This sounds like it could be pretty good... 8-) 8-)

I might have to see if I can talk the misses into letting me buy something. Unless Homers friend from Just Powdercoating is going to have an on going thing........ ;) ;)
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 9:53 am

Tony81 wrote:Hmmmm I now am very interested in what you are working out Quinny.

I might have to see if I can talk the misses into letting me buy something. Unless Homers friend from Just Powdercoating is going to have an on going thing........ ;) ;)

That's the plan Tony - I was going to give him a call just to see if there is any interest on his part initially ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat May 05, 2012 10:05 am

Quinny67 wrote:
Tony81 wrote:Hmmmm I now am very interested in what you are working out Quinny.

That's the plan Tony - I was going to give him a call just to see if there is any interest on his part initially ...

give him a call IQ.

when using a double carrier the problem is obstruction of existing rear lights. The bigger your bar lights, the bigger the bar to accommodate them. i am hoping he will look at a tub chop version. this will allow a deeper side section with addition of some extra height to drop off steps. obviously it is not a bolt on option though.

unsure about chassis strengthening but he does use an opposing plate support on the bar of homers which provided rigidity and with the bar probably strengthens the rear section but it wont help chassis bending like some of the MN failures. Based on what we have seen a solid rear tow bar and double wheel carriers is probably not what you want on an MN. if you use a double carrier you probably would avoid the towing ball weight and if you had towing ball weight you would place your other wheel weight on the trailer.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 12:50 pm

snowman wrote:give him a call IQ.

when using a double carrier the problem is obstruction of existing rear lights. The bigger your bar lights, the bigger the bar to accommodate them. i am hoping he will look at a tub chop version. this will allow a deeper side section with addition of some extra height to drop off steps. obviously it is not a bolt on option though.

I went looking for a picture of a Triton with a tub chop - but only found a Hilux with one ...

Anyone got a photo ?

Also - does anyone know if MCC 4x4 Accessories is still a forum sponsor ? I saw a thread where & they and Ultimate were talking MCC products ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

i dont think Ultimate and MCC are still affiliated with each other
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Ok - thanks snowie - just investigating all possible options at this stage ...

BTW - I found the Just Powdercoating link - Snowpimp's looking good ;)

http://www.justpowdercoating.com.au/pag ... trays.html
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I've sent Brett at "Just Powdercoating" an email asking if he's interested in doing something for us ...

Seriously - if you are interested in getting on-board with this one, please let me know, as the more interest we show - then the better chance we have of getting this thing off the ground ... ;)

Thanks,

Q
Last edited by Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sat May 05, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm interested Q :smile:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Sat May 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Ok - so I have a response from Brett at Just Powdercoating ...

My email to Brett - In part:

"There’s been a lot of talk about the tray that you built for Gary’s ute. With all that interest, came a lot of questions regarding a rear bar for a Triton, specifically for a ML and there has been interest from the MN boys as well. I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on fabricating something in this regard.

I am certainly keen for something a little different from the traditional ARB / TJM / Karmar options … I know there are at least three or four others interested in the initial discussions were having on our forum – and I bet there would be others if this became a viable option."

Brett's response:

"I’m looking into it at the moment and building something is not going to be a problem, I’ve got an idea for strengthening the chassis to and that’s as simple as replacing the bolt plate that holds the standard tow bar on!

My problem is getting it engineered and how much this cost will be, Like I said I’m very keen to do something because of the interest!"

...and for you blokes with big butts :lol:

"I’ll keep you up to date with the progress! Next week I have another bloke with an MN coming to work for measurements for the rear bar! "

Looking good peoples :D ... or as Geek says - Peeps ... :lol:

Q
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun May 13, 2012 1:39 pm

So I am going to throw this question in there, as it does have something to do with my rear bar. I FINALLY got my rear bar from ARB, and I am right now in the middle of installing it. However, the checkerplate that comes with it is half unpolished. As I am thinking about getting it powdercoated in black (to match the rest of the barwork 8-) ) can it be installed later? Or is it going to be a case of you have to do it before installing the bar?
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Rear bar

Postby Joe on Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Needs to be on before the instal mate
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods