Which rear bar?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Which rear bar?

Postby inrut on Wed May 07, 2014 6:04 pm

emjayar wrote:
snowman wrote:the original ML ARB bars were 2300 kgs but i know this can be increased to 2500kgs.

Pretty sure the MN's are 2500 kg's :? :?

You are correct about the MLs, I'm still unsure of the MN's towing capacity.

EDIT:

ARB reckon that their bar will not hamper the amount of towing capacity unless it exceeds the GVM of the vehicle due to the added weight of the bar. they also quoted me $1100 supply and $400 fitting...

If you can hold out for a while i will be selling my ML ARB rear bar and putting on a standard tow bar to suit a tray. in the near future.
inrut

Postby Lostu2 on Fri May 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Quinny wrote:For reference, here's the plate from my MCC rear jack bar:

Click to view larger picture

Well,
Thats amazing. My rear "MMC"bar does not have an ADR stamp/sticker??????
Lostu2

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 09, 2014 4:54 pm

If it's a towbar the ADRs require that there be a sticker or plate - they even say how big the numbers have to be.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Quinny on Fri May 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:If it's a towbar the ADRs require that there be a sticker or plate - they even say how big the numbers have to be.

Yep - you're right ;)

Here's the details ... Blah Blah Blah ...

Towing capacity and marking

The two major requirements of the ADRs affecting towbar manufacturers are:

 Towbars must be tested to ensure that they have sufficient strength; and

 Towbars must legibly and permanently display the following information:

o The towbar manufacturer's name or trademark;

o The make and model shown on the Compliance Plate fitted to the vehicle for which the towbar is designed or an appropriate manufacturer's part number; and

o The towing capacity of the towbar expressed in kilograms and in numerals not less than:

- 2.5 mm high (ADR 62/00 compliant vehicles)

- As specified in AS 4177.1-1994 Towbars and towing brackets or as amended from time to time (ADR 62/01 compliant vehicles with towbar maximum rated capacity less than 3.5 tonne).

- 6 mm high (ADR 62/01 compliant vehicles with towbar maximum rated capacity over 3.5 tonne).

In cases where this information is hidden from view, a separate plate shall be attached adjacent to the towbar showing the maximum rated capacity of the towbar.

Note. This plate must not be attached to a removable towbar tongue.

It is important to note that the towing capacity displayed on the towbar must not under any circumstances exceed the lesser of:

The vehicle manufacturer's recommended towing capacity for the vehicle for which. the towbar is designed, or

1.5 times the unladen mass for a passenger car or the unladen mass for a forward control passenger vehicle or off road passenger vehicle.
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Fri May 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Mines an rebadged MCC Jack Bar bought from Superior Engineering to replace my factory one after my rear ender, no sticker :(
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Dunno if this is worth anything to anyone but:

Definitions

Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) is the total mass of the laden trailer when carrying the maximum load recommended by the manufacturer. This includes any mass imposed onto the drawing vehicle when the combination vehicle is resting on a horizontal supporting plane.

Gross Trailer Mass (GTM) is the mass transmitted to the ground by the axle or axles of the trailer when coupled to a drawing vehicle and carrying its maximum load uniformly distributed over the load bearing area.
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieAnth on Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Very happy to report that the latest batch of MCC Rear Jack bars are rated to the full 3000kg towing capacity.....phew...thought I'd paid top dollar for only half the towing capacity. :?

The earlier pic of the MCC jack bar compliance plaque posted above must be for an earlier version. Or perhaps they had to go through further testing & compliance to prove it was up to standard for 3000kg? All model numbers & markings seem to be identicle. Mine was just purchased about 2 weeks ago from the Thomastown VIC warehouse.

And you will see the ADR compliance in the top right corner of the plaque.

I'm very happy with my MCC, although I would love to fit up a TJM and test the departure angle of both.

MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Tue May 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Not taking the piss ... but how does that work ? I thought the towing weight depended on the vehicle not the bar ... :? I don't understand anymore :lol:

Can I get a copy of your plate ;)
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Both Q. Vehicle has to be rated to tow by manufacturer and then towbar has to be rated as well. If you put a 1500kg rated bar on a 3000kg rated Triton you can only tow 1500kg. Conversely, a 3000kg bar on a 2500kg rated vehicle doesn't increase capacity beyond 2500kg.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Mudme on Wed May 14, 2014 4:17 am

my jack bar has the 3000kg plate on it
Mudme

Postby emjayar on Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Both Q. Vehicle has to be rated to tow by manufacturer and then towbar has to be rated as well. If you put a 1500kg rated bar on a 3000kg rated Triton you can only tow 1500kg. Conversely, a 3000kg bar on a 2500kg rated vehicle doesn't increase capacity beyond 2500kg.

In summary, your towing capacity is equal to the smallest amount rated in the chain.

the phrase: "You are only as strong as your weakest link" comes to mind.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby MN GLXR on Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 am

Amaroo wrote:
variflex wrote:
har05l wrote:
I've got the TJM and fitted it myself and yes it was heavy, should've been patient and waited for a hand :roll:

The mcc is bulkier again so would be heavier than both TJM/ARB bars.

How did you lift it into place to bolt it up Ken? I may be doing the same this weekend with the ARB bar

The TJM one that har05l mentioned is a very easy one man instal if you have a trolley jack with a decent lift plate on it. The main cross bar on the frame of the TJM bar sits and balances nicely on the jack. Just simply sit it on the jack and lift it into place.

I had mine torqued up and ready to go in approx 15 minutes. Took longer to unwrap the packaging.

This of course does not include wiring the trailer plug. ;)

Not sure if you will be as lucky with the ARB sitting so nicely on a trolley jack??

Guys does the TJM rear bar require drilling or does it bolt straight in? Cheers

EDIT - TJM head office confirmed no drilling is required.
MN GLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 15, 2014 12:56 pm

FWIW the drilling on the ARB install is pretty minimal. You'd be surprised how thin the steel is in the bottom of the chassis rails. Best to wear goggles or something though as the swarf tends to rain down on you as you go. :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Thu May 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Cheers CD,

Though with 20% off TJM they are $667 - and it is hard to justify $1000+ for the ARB.

I just ordered the TJM.
MN GLXR

Postby AussieAnth on Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm

MN GLXR wrote:Cheers CD,

Though with 20% off TJM they are $667 - and it is hard to justify $1000+ for the ARB.

I just ordered the TJM.

Always the way, just after I drop $890 on the MCC, the other option goes on sale. Ah well.... :lol:
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 15, 2014 4:30 pm

I just ordered the TJM.

I can't disagree with your logic there. Still I figured I should comment on the drilling thing in case anyone else came along and got worried about it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 pm

mattz wrote:
slickncghia wrote:is the extra weight a big deal? im sure its not in terms of overall mass... but right at the back of the vehicle is surely one of the worst places to have an extra 30kgs permanentely i mean some trailer ball weights arent that much more...

still a bit confused about which bar for my dosh lol

Mate.....don't let the weight of the bar be a deciding factor in which one you buy.

With all the members here, there's been very few complaints,if any, about any of the rear bars.
TBH, they're all much of a muchness.Make your choice on which one you prefer the look of.
I installed an ARB on mine and helped a mate install a MCC one on his. No real noticeable weight difference.There may have been but I didn't notice, there was about 18 months between installs :lol: They both felt heavy when you're lying underneath them trying to line them up. :lol:

And the weight of the bar is not all in one spot right at the back of the vehicle as it's spread over the chassis where it's mounted. I'll be surprised if you notice it.

I just weighed my new TJM straight out of the box. It's 45kg with no hitch/ball.
MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR on Thu May 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Here are a few pics of the MN TJM RB6 bar out of the box for those interested.

Note how the welded mounting plate bolts are not straight and hence they don't fit through the chassis holes easily!!!!! Arrrghhh. It might need some convincing.

Overall the paint finish and welds look very good.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
MN GLXR

Postby Speedy70 on Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Mate, I got the same TJM bar about 2 weeks ago and my brother and I fitted it in about 45 minutes. First towbar either of us have ever fitted and it was a very easy job. We used the hoist in the shed with a sling to take the weight of the bar and then just pivotted it into position at the chassis rails. Helps to have an air ratchet too as it is a bit fiddly to get at some of the bolts. I didn't check the bolts welded to the mounting plates for alignment (as per your photo) but would expect them to be fairly much the same. I don't think you'll have much trouble installing them as there was a bit of play available. Installing the wiring harness took about the same amount of time as fitting the bar. The hardest part of my install was the wiring harness at the passenger side kick panel. That little b%$^&d of a plug at the top was near impossible to get to. Ended up using a flat head screw driver to push the connectors together cause I couldn't my hands close enough to join them. This was probably about 10 minutes of stuffing around. TJM wanted to charge $200 to fit the bar, so fitting it yourself is money well saved. Hopefully your towbar will go on as easily as mine did. My install was a little bit late, when I picked up the brand newy up from the dealership about 4 weeks ago, the salesman reversed it into a bollard whilst getting it out of the yard denting the tailgate. Getting a new tailgate fitted next week at their expense. Should be right now with the rear bar fitted though. :lol:
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Which rear bar?

Postby MN GLXR on Thu May 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Ok thanks Speedy. I note the instructions tell you to

1) suspend the bar in place
2) insert one bolt on each side to hold the bar initially in place
3) insert the mounting plate and nuts.

But to me, it looks like step 2 will obstruct step 3. Did you find the same or did you just skip step 2?

Thanks,

Edit....worked it out. You follow steps 1,2 and then remove one of the bolts in step 2 before inserting the plate. Then do the same on the other side.
Last edited by MN GLXR on Thu May 22, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN GLXR

Postby lgil86 on Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

I just ordered the TJM.

thats a good deal mate, off to tjm for me while the sale is on i think... unless mcc have a sale coming up!
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri May 23, 2014 9:17 am

Put the MCC rear bar on last week. No compliance plates or tow rating or anything.
Ugly, heavy, but seems to be well made and strong. Don't know how long I will have it. Prob sell it for something better when/if it hits the market or chop this one up and modify it.

StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Fri May 23, 2014 9:34 am

I love the look of the MCC bar however i did not get that bar, ended up with the ARB bar,

Just out of Interest was that you i saw on the Gt Western Highway turning onto the M7 approx 8:30 this morning Stiddy?
variflex

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri May 23, 2014 10:06 am

variflex wrote:I love the look of the MCC bar however i did not get that bar, ended up with the ARB bar,

Just out of Interest was that you i saw on the Gt Western Highway turning onto the M7 approx 8:30 this morning Stiddy?

I chose the MCC bar purely because it looked the strongest and seemed to have the best protection. The look is growing on me... but it does need to be modified a bit.

And no, it wasn't me mate, unless someone has taken it. I'm away on work.. so I can't even check if its still in the drive way :lol:
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am

I picked the MCC rear bar for the following reasons:

- Tow rating was key. This bar does not lower the tow rating of the vehicle. (Confirmed by phone by MCC sales dept.)
- I believe it has the best protection for the back end. Once you get up close to one you notice how much protection it has up under the tub
- The price was fair for what I believe to be a quality product.
- The aesthetics match that of the rock sliders I have and also the XROX front bar that I plan to attach.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods