Which rear bar?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Which rear bar?

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Yes it does Aussie and as luck would have it I've got the tri trailer hooked up now
Click to view larger picture
I've dragged my ass more times than I can remember and never damaged it
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

har05l wrote:I've dragged my ass more times than I can remember and never damaged it

What about your tailgate though ;)

And we are still talking about the rear bar aren't we :D
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieAnth on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

har05l wrote:Yes it does Aussie and as luck would have it I've got the tri trailer hooked up now

I've dragged my ass more times than I can remember and never damaged it

Thanks for the photo Har05l
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

Well to throw a spanner in the works looks like a Vic based company is coming online with a ML & MN Triton rear bar, I spoke to them and they reckon by june/july they should be done with development and testing, price pending but he has said that once done they are happy to do a very good rate for a forum buy..

https://www.facebook.com/advancedbars

they are developing their web page atm....

The main guy spent 8 years at ARB so its no wonder their bar is very similar.

Ill be hunting these guys down at the Melb Explore Aust Expo in June to get a fix on where they are at and hopefully pricing..

Mojo.... :D
Monkeyz

Postby krimmo on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm

AussieAnth wrote:Im about to pull the trigger on a rear bar. Its down to the MCC Jack, or the TJM RB6.

Looking at photos of both, the TJM seems to sit lower, but the hitch is just below centre, and recessed back towards the tail gate, tucked nicely out of the way.

The MCC seems to sit a few inches higher but the hitch is encased in that large, low hanging plate that looks like it will collect a tonne of dirt in a ditch or incline.

Does anyone have a clear understanding which has the better departure angle?
Have any MCC Jack owners found the plate surrounding the hitch catches on the ground?

Does the MCC Jack work well as a step for standing access to canopy roof racks?

mate whats the price difference?
how much is the tjm?
krimmo

Postby alexharris on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Advanced Bars look good. I was wondering has anyone actually tried to return the MN towbar to Mitsubishi, on the grounds that it isn't fit for its intended use? After busting the wire harness (again) I'm currently going through the process which I imagine will end up with the ACCC. How about an EOI for a class action?

When I spoke to the dealer he said he had never had any issue or complaint with the towbar. As if.
alexharris

Postby Amaroo on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 pm

krimmo wrote:how much is the tjm?

Mine was $830 and came with a free recovery hitch and shackle, part of some deal that was running at the time.

When I was looking at rear bars I personally didn't think anyone makes one that looks any good so I just bought the one that looked like it would hold up best on the long rear end of the MN and had high-lift points. So the TJM RB6 just got the win over the ARB bar.

I had the ARB bar on my last truck and the grader blade on it was bent in several spots from getting hung up, which was going to be happening far more on the MN, which was another tick in my books for the TJM bar.

All the bars have pro's and con's though and everyones taste is different, so everyone is going to have a different opinion on what's good, especially in terms of appearance.

One thing that I didn't really consider when I was looking and has been very handy is the ample step area on the TJM bar, I use it a fair bit.
Amaroo

Which rear bar?

Postby mattz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1044574896
ML ARB rear bar for sale on gumtree in Vic. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Lostu2 on Fri May 02, 2014 5:06 pm

har05l wrote:
Chef_Dave wrote:I run a ultimate comfort 2" raise in the tail end and 265/75/16 tyres, the height of the lowest point of the mcc bar at the end of the truck is 520mm from the ground if this help you AussieAnth?

Maybe someone running a the same setup but with a TJM bar could put up their measurements and compare the two?

Here you go ;)
mattz wrote:
snowman wrote:MCC - looks like the bloody mice got to it overnight...... :? :? :o and it looks really low in the middle. i reckon you could bend that lower plate very easily.

The plate in the middle of the MCC bar is about the same height as an ARB bar.
It just appears lower.
Here is a scientific comparison conducted in the car park of a local watering hole last night. :lol:
Both vehicles were parked side by side......both have ultimate suspension.
The one with the MCC bar measured 630 and 620mm rear suspension

Hi,

I have both front and rear MCC bars. Don,t have a problem with the front bull bar.The same as an ARB(COMPARE) all good with the winch.

Now the problem. The rear bar. I have no lift and running 245 tyres. Hence clearance issues and the long tub.

So every time i go out for a bit of a foray. The rear bar lifts up after a few bumps. Bottom line , restricks dropping the tail gate and if i happened to get a puncture, no access to the spare. Fortunately i do carry a tool box.

Just getting so frustrated dropping the bar after each trip. It does act like a doser blade.

A lift and bigger tyres would sort some of the problem. Unfortunately the insurance company will not allow me to do those mods. But that is another story.

Its coming to the stage, where i am thinking of putting down some tack welds on the rails?

Just getting over lying under the car after each trip with a socket and spanner :x

The one with the ARB bar measured 630mm both sides.
No front measurements were taken. :roll:
But I do know the one with the ARB bar sits slightly higher in the front.......doubt it would make make difference though.
MCC bar.......
ARB bar.......

So they are basically the same height.
The only major difference is that the MCC bar drops down to that low point only in the middle where the ARB bar drops to that point then tappers up towards the sides which would be more susceptible to scraping off road.

Next thurs night I'll measure the thickness of that bit if I remember :lol:

har05l wrote:So to compare to your measurements Matt with the TJM bar, ultimate 2" and level driveway, 615mm each side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376627654.219458.jpg

The corners measure in at
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376627857.938048.jpg

So add on the fact I'm sitting about 15mm lower than your two vehicles they all seem relatively the same in distance from the centre.
Would be good to get those other distances
Lostu2

Postby AussieAnth on Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Installed an MCC rear Jack bar, and MCC bullbar.

Really happy with the build quality of both. Rear bar probably weighs more in total than the bullbar.

Will be interesting to see if the the rear bar collects much, as its definitely affected the departure angle, but then again, nearly every rear bar does.

Still have to re-mount the light bar, plus front & rear cameras.

FORUM DIRECTORY
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 pm

My last adventure at the weekend has rerendered my tub in a stylish new dented way... I NEED A REAR BAR! I never thought I would but there you go.

So as I'm running around in an ML my options are the following...

ARB - Not a fan of this one in terms of online feedback. Also looks a bit off
MCC - Love the look of this but there are reports that it reduces towing capacity which I can't afford to do.
Kaymar - Rediculously priced but most versatile and takes towing capacity up to 3.5 tonne and allows for wheel mounts later on when my bank account recovers.

Has anybody got any opinions on the Kaymar bar?
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 06, 2014 11:16 pm

The Kaymar bars are very well made but, as you say, ridiculously expensive. It is, however, your vehicle which has the tow rating, not the towbar. So, regardless of the towbar capacity, you can only tow what is on the vehicle rating.

That said, a bar like the Kaymar one will actually reduce your towing capacity because it is so strong, and heavy. The addition of spare wheels right at the back will also penalise you in capacity and add to the risk of chassis failure/bending.

Whether you like the design or not, the ARB (and maybe TJM) bar will likely be the best choice for both protection and retention of tow capacity.

The other one that you may wish to look at is the Everest bar. Not sure about tow capacity, you'll need to check with them, but for general protection it works just fine. Much, much cheaper, too.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-Triton-ML-2006-2009-EVEREST-Rear-Step-Rear-Bullbar-Towbar-/151058746239?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232bcd8b7f

Same as the one I had on my triton, it looks like this:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 pm

There's just no way towing 3.5 tonnes would ever be a good idea for these vehicles. And mounting tyres on the rear bar is asking for trouble - see the recent posts about bent chassis as to why.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AussieAnth on Tue May 06, 2014 11:39 pm

emjayar wrote:
MCC - Love the look of this but there are reports that it reduces towing capacity which I can't afford to do.

The MCC Jack bar is good for 3000kg Im 99,9% sure.

The Everest is only good for 1500kg.

FORUM DIRECTORY
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 am

I just sent them a message asking about the towing capacity and they say it is 1800kg's
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby emjayar on Wed May 07, 2014 9:51 am

NowForThe5th wrote: It is, however, your vehicle which has the tow rating, not the towbar. So, regardless of the towbar capacity, you can only tow what is on the vehicle rating.

That's not entirely true... The vehicle itself may struggle with the weight behind it but the fact that it is legally and safely allowed to do so is what matters albeit slow.

In the horse world it is not uncommon to see a D40 towing a gooseneck (with the appropriate coupling of course) horse float (EASY 3.5 tonne+). This means that the vehicles towing capacity can be increased with the correct application of a specified towing coupling.

-------------------------------------

But yeah I haven't looked into the ARB one as much because of the bad rep. I would consider it more if I knew of the load rating on it.

The Everest, I know is only good for 1500kg. Which is unacceptable for my purposes and TJM doesn't make an ML compatible rear bar any longer, however, they used to.
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
emjayar

Postby snowman on Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 am

the original ML ARB bars were 2300 kgs but i know this can be increased to 2500kgs.

Pretty sure the MN's are 2500 kg's :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 am

snowman wrote:the original ML ARB bars were 2300 kgs but i know this can be increased to 2500kgs.

Pretty sure the MN's are 2500 kg's :? :?

You are correct about the MLs, I'm still unsure of the MN's towing capacity.

EDIT:

ARB reckon that their bar will not hamper the amount of towing capacity unless it exceeds the GVM of the vehicle due to the added weight of the bar. they also quoted me $1100 supply and $400 fitting...
Last edited by emjayar on Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
emjayar

Postby Quinny on Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am

For reference, here's the plate from my MCC rear jack bar:

Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby emjayar on Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 am

Quinny wrote:For reference, here's the plate from my MCC rear jack bar:

Thanks heaps Quinny! That basically means I only have 1 choice... The Kaymar... BUGGER!
emjayar

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 07, 2014 12:54 pm

The ARB price list has the MN bar at 3,000kg. I'd be surprised if they haven't made the shorter ML bar the same although for whatever reason I can't see it on the price list.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 07, 2014 12:58 pm

From ADR 62/01:

In relation to the compliance plate required on the bar it says this:

13.2.1.3. its maximum rated capacity expressed in numerals not less than 6 mm high. The maximum rated capacity must be the ‘ATM’ in tonnes or the maximum ‘Coupling’ ‘D- value’ in kN for which the ‘Towbar’ is designed and must not exceed the vehicle manufacturer’s rated capacity.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 07, 2014 1:00 pm

The MN is showing as maximum braked towing capacity of 3000kg on the MMAL website at the moment. Can't recall the ML deal.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 07, 2014 1:26 pm

The ML started off with 2300kg towing capacity. 2930kg GVM and 5000kg GCM for the diesel.

This was later increased (twice?) so you'd need to look at the plate on your vehicle to see what the actual is.

For the earlier ones it may be possible to get them engineered up to the later towing spec, given that there haven't been any other changes to brakes/driveline etc. but that kind of depends on the engineer. An aftermarket suspension upgrade like the Ultimate which gives an extra 300kg capacity would probably be the minimum that an engineer would be looking for.

Just to clarify, what I meant with my earlier post is that if your vehicle is factory rated at 2300kg towing capacity then putting on a towbar rated at 3500kg does not increase the weight you can tow. It remains at 2300kg, unless engineered otherwise. We might know they can do it but, from a legal standpoint, that is irrelevant.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Wed May 07, 2014 4:23 pm

To increase towing capacity you need engineer, and they cannot do a increase without the manufacturer stating that the vehicle is able to handle the towing increase

Chicken and egg thing, as MMA will not provide his letter. This is not gospel, only what I have been told (by a couple of engineers in qld and followed up through with MMA).

I was Loki g to upgrade the triton to 3 tonne same as the latest model mn, think I was chasing the gcm to also be increased in line with the mn as well.

My ml handbook states 2300 kg towing, but I have a supplement letter from MMA stating 2500kg
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods