Adjustable radius cutter for snorkel install

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Adjustable radius cutter for snorkel install

Postby Pitty on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi all
Just about to install an ironman snorkel, just wondering if anyone has used an adjustable radius cutter for the holes in their panels before. I have access to one at work very similar to the one in the link below, but higher quality. I've been told slow and steady with it and it should cut the panel ok, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them on curved panels. I am an aircraft maintenance engineer so I'm confident in my ability to drill a precise hole and I think it will work well, I'm just after others experiences with these, especially on the curved panel.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/hole-saw-tro ... 0_p6352520

Cheers

Dan.
Pitty

Re: Adjustable radius cutter for snorkel install

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm

I had a cheap one like that once. Wouldn't it chatter on a curved panel? By which I mean sort of dig/skip/dig if you know what I mean?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:32 pm

I am a builder and have one. Good for gyprock, not much good for timber. Would hate to try and cut through steel with it. Did my own snorkel install and there is no way one of those would work. You have to cut through sheet metal with extra frame work behind , prob about 4 mm's at the thickest. My one of those struggles on 10 mm timber.
Rich
Rd1

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 pm

May as well use an axe. Look for the holesaw thread on here
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pitty on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Hey guys,
Yeah fair enough was just a thought (obviously not a real good one) :lol: I won't attempt it then I'll just go buy some proper hole saws. We use them on flat sheet aluminium which is easy going, don't wanna bugger my panel.
Thanks for the input fellas!

Dan
Pitty

Postby mad992 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 pm

I am a Sheetmetal worker and I think this is for the home handyman to cut into soft material , defiantly not 22 gauge zincanneal that has a curved working area no way. :shock:
mad992

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Pitty wrote:Hey guys,
Yeah fair enough was just a thought (obviously not a real good one) :lol: I won't attempt it then I'll just go buy some proper hole saws. We use them on flat sheet aluminium which is easy going, don't wanna bugger my panel.
Thanks for the input fellas!

Dan

Better to ask than try and fail I guess. There is a thread somewhere about a set of holesaws purchased by a forum sponsor. You get them, use them, and the only cost is posting them to the next user. Could save you some coin.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Put up your location . You might get lucky
Rd1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 pm

Sydney!

Oh, you don't mean that kind of lucky do you?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 pm

Not from me will you get lucky Dave. :roll: But there are a few people around with hole saws . I am near Coffs Harbour is some one needs to borrow a set.
Rich
Rd1

Postby Tony81 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:There is a thread somewhere about a set of holesaws purchased by a forum sponsor. You get them, use them, and the only cost is posting them to the next user. Could save you some coin.

Here you go..

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6748&hilit=Holesaw&start=300#p425718

:D :D
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN2014GLX on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 am

I have a friend who did a snorkel install on his Ranger with a small drill bit, steady hand, and a file. Took him a while to do it, but I couldn't tell the difference between what he did and what could be done with a hole saw.

Hole saw would be much easier though ;)
MN2014GLX

Postby Pitty on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi guys,
Just finished the snorkel install! What a bugger of a job! I don't know what I was thinking with that adjustable cutter :lol:
I think I'm just a bit pedantic cause I need to be for my job, but the job just seemed butcherous! And the ironman template is woeful! 16mm holes for a stud about 6mm? There's a massive margin for error built into the template, lack of confidence in their own template right there. I bought the hole saws needed, the one for the outer guard is in fine condition but the inner guard one is busted!

Anyway the snorkel is on, I put the hand over the opening with the truck running and nearly sucked my arm down the snorkel and got a 0.2 litre per hundred drop on the long term average fuel reading on my drive home so I'm happy as. And I know the holes are rustproof and the holes sealed up well.

Cheers for the advice guys I'm glad you talked me out using that stupid adjustable cutter so quickly!

Dan
Pitty

Postby mad992 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Good work Dan , your not pedantic mate, we all are when it involves our tritons .
mad992

Return to Exterior Mods