Fitting ARB towbar step

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Fitting ARB towbar step

Postby Gregory on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi everyone, I have a ARB rear towbar step to fit to my MN my14 duel cab. In the last couple of weeks ARB have noticed that some of the MN tritons have change the rear chassis measurements for the fitment of these rear bars. The problem is that their bar are made to fit 1076mm side to side chassis rails, mine and a few others are 1062mm wide, therefore these bars aren't going to bolt up as there is a 7mm to8mm gap on each side. Have any of the mn owners come across this problem and if some of you can measure your rails and let me know what's out there. Mitsubishi aren't saying anything, but ARB need to get to the bottom of this problem
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Re: Fitting ARB towbar step

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:34 pm

ARB should know that there is such a thing as "production tolerance". Perfectly common to find a 5mm difference.

They'll just have to make up some plates to suit.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bigbirdalx on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:ARB should know that there is such a thing as "production tolerance". Perfectly common to find a 5mm difference.

They'll just have to make up some plates to suit.

5mm is a fair bit difference to 14mm tho.
Agreed on adapter plated tho
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 pm

They only send the narrow ones to Qld. Matches the rail gauge. :P

I had the opposite problem with mine. Was about 10mm too wide. Made fitting the rear bar......interesting.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ryani on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Greg - I took delivery of ARB rear-step towbar for my MN my15 (build 2014) just a couple of days ago - only to be told a few hours later by local ARB to expect the problem you describe, as they said the "correct" chassis-rail width was 1076-1081. I measured up eight (8) Tritons at my workplace and the carpark today, some a couple of years old, some newish to brand new - and all are 1061-62 mm ! My bar measures 1073, so how was that going to fit 1076-1081 anyway? My Mitsubishi dealer said they've never had to be aware of any difference in width and the genuine towbars are all the same fitting width. I think ARB have stuffed up. We should not have to accept some dody pack-out solution either. I submitted a query to Mitsubishi Aust this evening to confirm width - eagerly await reply. regards Ian
ryani

Postby Bigbirdalx on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 pm

ryani wrote:Hi Greg - I took delivery of ARB rear-step towbar for my MN my15 (build 2014) just a couple of days ago - only to be told a few hours later by local ARB to expect the problem you describe, as they said the "correct" chassis-rail width was 1076-1081. I measured up eight (8) Tritons at my workplace and the carpark today, some a couple of years old, some newish to brand new - and all are 1061-62 mm ! My bar measures 1073, so how was that going to fit 1076-1081 anyway? My Mitsubishi dealer said they've never had to be aware of any difference in width and the genuine towbars are all the same fitting width. I think ARB have stuffed up. We should not have to accept some dody pack-out solution either. I submitted a query to Mitsubishi Aust this evening to confirm width - eagerly await reply. regards Ian

Well considering arb made the bar to fit the mn when it first came out. And up untill this week this is the first ive seen, id say arb has not "stuffed up" considering how many forum members including me have the bar and no one i can recall has had this issue. Keep us updated tho
Bigbirdalx

Postby Gregory on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:28 am

ryani wrote:Hi Greg - I took delivery of ARB rear-step towbar for my MN my15 (build 2014) just a couple of days ago - only to be told a few hours later by local ARB to expect the problem you describe, as they said the "correct" chassis-rail width was 1076-1081. I measured up eight (8) Tritons at my workplace and the carpark today, some a couple of years old, some newish to brand new - and all are 1061-62 mm ! My bar measures 1073, so how was that going to fit 1076-1081 anyway? My Mitsubishi dealer said they've never had to be aware of any difference in width and the genuine towbars are all the same fitting width. I think ARB have stuffed up. We should not have to accept some dody pack-out solution either. I submitted a query to Mitsubishi Aust this evening to confirm width - eagerly await reply. regards Ian

Hi Ian thanks for the reply on the measurements, I have spoken to ARB and the MN has come out with 2different chassis measurements, don't know way mitsubishi has to do this, maybe as 5th has commented on. Any way ARB was unaware of this change and no one knows when this accurred so I have been told that they are looking into this with no date set. They won't warrant putting spaces in as if there ever was a failure you won't have a leg to stand on. Ian is it possible to measure you chassis rail for measurement and see also if it has any spaces fitted
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby Gregory on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:56 am

Well considering arb made the bar to fit the mn when it first came out. And up untill this week this is the first ive seen, id say arb has not "stuffed up" considering how many forum members including me have the bar and no one i can recall has had this issue. Keep us updated tho[/quote]

Hi birbirdaix are you able to measure the width of your rails and if there has been any spaces put in place and what year MN is yours, thanks in advance
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Gregory wrote:Well considering arb made the bar to fit the mn when it first came out. And up untill this week this is the first ive seen, id say arb has not "stuffed up" considering how many forum members including me have the bar and no one i can recall has had this issue. Keep us updated tho

Hi birbirdaix are you able to measure the width of your rails and if there has been any spaces put in place and what year MN is yours, thanks in advance[/quote]

Carnt measure atm as in bed. But 2012 plated glr and i know it was a flush fit as i put it in 1.5 yeard ago
Bigbirdalx

Postby ryani on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:42 am

Hi Greg - mine measures 1060 mm outside-to-outside of the C-sections. Nothing has been added/welded to the outside of the C-sections
ryani

Postby BMD on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Mine's 1062mm on a 2011 build. I'm waiting on my rear bar as we speak. and was going to bolt it up myself.... :?
Cheers, Ben.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'11 GLX-R
BMD

Fitting ARB towbar step

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Sounding more and more like a ARB problem
Your my14 is the same as the 11 builds and everything since and before
Maybe a pm to sam, ARB community rep and forum member to sus out what is going on???
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby bill65 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:41 pm

my is a 2013 build and my is 1061 and the bar [arb] was the same as yours ,,,it was very fun too fit :roll: :x
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Fitting problem ARB rear-step towbar

Postby bigjobs on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Bit of a worry... I'm keen to get myself one of these rear bars in the near future.

Just measured the chassis on my MY14 MN GLX-R and it's 1062mm.

More clues would be appreciated :-)
bigjobs

Postby corpur on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi,
I only picked up my MY15 Triton last month with the ARB rear bar fitted. Just poked my head underneath and Chassis
measurement is 1062mm and just a slight gap with the ARB bar maybe a few mm each side. Can't really see any spacer
plates just mounting brackets, all looks normal.

Hope this helps and they sort it out for you..

Cheers
corpur
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Just to mention, if the chassis has changed this issue won't be unique to ARB. All the aftermarket brands are going to get caught out...

Tread lightly, research your buys.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BMD on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Ordered one and getting them to fit it after all. bugger it - it's their problem if it doesn't fit easily! ;)
Cheers, Ben.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'11 GLX-R
BMD

Postby MN GLXR on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 am

Carefull BMD once they get your money they will nake it fit[FLEXED BICEPS]
MN GLXR

Postby BMD on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:09 pm

I was hoping that haha! Saves me doing it and yes, I'll be making sure it's done right! :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ben.
'11 GLX-R
BMD

Postby joomin90 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I've recently placed an order for the ARB rear bar. I measured my chassis and its 1073mm. I have the MN MY13 GLR.
Its concerning that there is no clear indication to why there's two sizes with no correlation to the year model. I was under the impression perhaps maybe the newer (MY14 onward) models would have a narrower chassis but from previous posts it seems that's not the case. hmmmm interesting.
joomin90

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Is everyone measuring the same way in the same spot etc?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby joomin90 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm

I measured from outside to outside of the chassis.
joomin90

Postby BMD on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Maybe we should do a poll? :?:
Cheers, Ben.
'11 GLX-R
BMD

Postby Gregory on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 pm

BMD wrote:Mine's 1062mm on a 2011 build. I'm waiting on my rear bar as we speak. and was going to bolt it up myself.... :?

I thought it was only related to my14 and on, but as for this 2011 mn with the narrow chassis I would say it's across the board on all mn tritons. As for a pole if it's done we should put the built date in as well
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby Gregory on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 pm

I have been sitting here wondering how they have fitted these bar to the narrow chassis, so with mine on the floor I got a 5 ton ratchet strap and wrapped it around the the mounting points of the bar to see how much it would take to bring the sides in, well I manage to get it to 1065 with a lot of pressure on the strap to the point that the ratchet is just about to give up. So if we use the bar on the narrow chassis what strain is it going to put on the rails. I can put up some pic if any wants a look
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Next

Return to Exterior Mods