XROX bar and ironman 9500lb winch MN

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

XROX bar and ironman 9500lb winch MN

Postby Riguez on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!

Has anyone fitted an xrox bar and ironman 9500lb monster winch with synthetic rope to their MN? I used search function but found nothing.

For the life of me I can't see how the winch is supposed to mount to the bar, does it require an additional cradle? There are holes on the front of the bar which line up with the winch bolt mounts but they don't look quite right and then the hawse fairlead can't be attached - not enough room.

Any advice welcomed.

Hope your all having a great day.
Last edited by Riguez on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riguez

Re: XROX bar and ironman 9500lb winch MN

Postby gunn parker on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 am

watching.
gunn parker

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 pm

I don't have an xrox but the problem that usually arises in winch installs is that they are setup as if they're going to mount with their bolts pointing at the ground whereas the bullbars want them to point out the front. What has to be done then is to pull the end off and rotate the gearbox so that the handle to engage/disengage is in the correct spot and the bolt holes point forward. Whether this will help with your fairlead problem I am not sure but as there are plenty of xrox bars on the forum with winches it must be achievable.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Zookstar1 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Usually a winch can be fitted at any angle and is all explained in the fitting instructions that should come with the winch.
Most steel bullbars don't need a cradle, alloy one def. do.
Contact O.L to find out if you need one or not.
If the holes are in your bar then you don't need a cradle as it would be all set up to house a winch
Zookstar1

Postby har05l on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:33 am

The winch shouldn't be a problem but from memory you need an offset fair hawse lead.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:24 am

yep offset rope fairlead - mount it first. Then mount the winch bottom to front. Will all fit no probs. ;)

As CD said, ensure the clutch lever is accessible, and rotate if necessary.
However there is so much room around the winch it is accessible anyway, even at the back.
I am able to mount 12000lb winch with miles of room, so 9500lb will easy fit. :)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Riguez on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks guys, this has been a real help. I was just staring at a couple of thousand dollars worth of steel thinking 'well that was a f*@#%^g expensive mistake'. Do'h.

Ok, so for those watching and wondering or for future reference for other DIYers installing a 9500lb ironman winch with synthetic rope on an xrox bar- (I'm not sure about steel cable and rollers - the ironman winch with cable is a different model so probably has different mounts) here goes. Let me know if anything is not clear.

The xrox bar does NOT come with a cradle to mount a winch (verified by Outback Accessories) - I thought maybe it had been left off mine during production - these things happen - or it was a separate purchase item - but no, it just doesn't have one. The winch is mounted straight onto the inside of the bar (the forward face) using the 4 holes that will match up with the mounts on the winch, which is apparently a standard adopted by most winch manufacturers. You DO NOT have to pull the winch apart to adjust the clutch etc - by mounting it flat against the front of the bar the the engage/disengage switch is perfectly situated in the cutout in the top of the bar. That'll save an hour of so.

Here's where I got stuck - The hawse fairlead that is provided with the ironman winch is straight, so logic says it should fit straight across the gap in the bar where the rope comes through - the instructions aren't very clear about this (I'm assuming now that the instructions are referring to installation on a cradle) but there are holes in the bar for this so thats where I thought it should go - but it will not fit here because there is no room for the bolt to go through and fit a nut because it hits the winch, which is almost flush against the inside of the bar. To get around this you have to purchase an additional hawse fairlead that is 'offset' - the fairlead then shares the same bolts as the bottom mounts of the winch. I wasn't aware that the hawse fairlead could share the same bolts as the winch itself but I've since been told that its pretty standard and creates a clamping effect further reinforcing the bar. Maybe the instructions with the winch should mention this possibility........ but hey that's what the interweb, phones and forums are for hey?

I haven't figured out how much offset is required as yet. There 15 or 25mm options, possibly more. I'll update this when I know.

You also have to fabricate a bracket to mount the solenoid/control box on the bar, or mount it somewhere else - I've heard of someone mounting it in the engine bay because they didn't have enough room on the bar due to driving lights (the hoop on the bar is a little restrictive if you want to mount MOFO lights and a solenoid), but they were using a different type of battery that was smaller and therefore provided more room. I dont know about you guys but my engine bay is a bit crowded. I'd love to see some pics of mounting brackets if anyone has some.

Hopefully I get the bar on this weekend now I know what the hell I'm doing. Hah. Famous last words :lol: :lol: :lol:
Riguez

Postby Riguez on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Bushranger 4x4 offset hawse fairlead does the trick. $80.00. Actually better than the ironman one provided with the winch.
Riguez

Postby triton_guru on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:32 am

Hello mate old thread but exactly what im after. Do you know how much of an offset the bush ranger fairlead was as im about to fit a winch to my triton and have realized that i need a offset fairlead

Cheers
triton_guru

Postby tezza08 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:01 pm

triton_guru wrote:Hello mate old thread but exactly what im after. Do you know how much of an offset the bush ranger fairlead was as im about to fit a winch to my triton and have realized that i need a offset fairlead

Cheers

You can use the standard fairlead with a little bit of modifying. On my one I ground some relief's on the bottom edge of the fairlead to clear the bottom bolts holding the winch, then put a small chamfer on the bolt heads that hold the fairlead to the bar. there are photos of it in my build thread ;)

cheers tezza08
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby tezza08 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:07 pm

like this

Click to view larger picture
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

XROX and Winch - all advice appreciated

Postby rokster on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:58 pm

So.. Mr. Mailman paid me a visit and in the garage I have an XRox bar and Runva winch.. 3 guesses what I'm doing this Saturday ?

Thus.. or those that have walked this way before.. any tips ? Do you mount the winch to the bar before you mount the bar to the car ? Or can you fit the winch afterwards once the bar is on ? Any other tips I should consider ?

Thanks in advance !
rokster
Platinum Subscriber

Re: XROX and Winch - all advice appreciated

Postby aids84 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 pm

You'll need an offset fairlead, and will need to rotate the gearbox so the clutch handle points up. I mounted my xrox before I my winch arrived and fit the winch by taking out all the bolts except the top pair and swinging the bullbar out. Will probably be easier to mount the winch to the bar beforehand although the extra weight might mean you'll need a 2nd pair of hands when it comes time to fit the bullbar onto the vehicle. It's not really a hard job and you should be able to easily knock it over in a few hours.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby micv on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 am

Are any of you guys concerned about the blocked airflow to the radiator after installing the winch in your Xrox and are you taking additional measures to compensate like the installation of a fan as described in another thread? or if you are not concerned I would also like to hear your reasoning. Cheers.
micv

Postby triton_guru on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 am

I wouldnt say im concerned more just wary of it. I will be putting a larger radiator in it when i take the engine out also i will be doing some modifications to the water pump aswell. Mine radiator temps increased by about 2-3 degrees by putting the xrox bar on
triton_guru

Return to Exterior Mods